close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suggestions please for late July hiking

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by RikWriter, Jul 7, 2003.

1. RikWriter

RikWriter Hipshooter

Here's my situation. I didn't think I was going to be able to take my
    annual trek from Florida to the great southwest because a)we have an infant baby so a family trip was out and b)none of my usual male hiking buddies could get time off when I could.
    However one of them managed to get a week off in late July and I am raring to go somewhere for some hiking and camping. Problem is, it's damned HOT in late July and the vacation crowds are out in force.
    Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to hike in Arizona, New Mexico or Utah that's within 48 hours drive from central Florida (driving straight through), won't have horrendous crowds and isn't blazing hot (or on fire, like Tucson)?

2. NoVAlooker

NoVAlooker What Me Worry

Have you thought about Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine?

Its closer (by 24 hours) and much cooler, plus Im sure you would be pleqased. If your in Vermont, you can hike the Long Trail (up and over camels Hup and Up Mt. Mansfield. The northern sectiosn are stellar. Or you can hike the Appalachian trail ifrom VT into NH (a real nice stretch) or through the White Mountains (the presidential range is some serious mountain hiking, or through the deserted expanse of Maine (one section near the end goes almost 10 days without crossing a road. its as deserted and remote as you can get pretty much anywhere east of the mississippi.

3. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

I love the West too but if you haven't seen the Northeast like Rik said, you really should -- very different scenery/flora than the west

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

A place that isn't blazing hot in AZ right now? Maybe a walk in freezer somewhere, but I can't think of anything outdoors. Up north around the canyon won't be that bad, but if you head into the canyon it'll get really hot, really fast.

As much as I like to see visitors come into the state, I'd save your AZ trip for another time of year. We have 8 months of beautiful weather. This just isn't one of them.

5. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12