close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suggestions for strong chewer

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by outkastblast, Jan 18, 2005.

1. outkastblast

outkastblast

I have a 8-month old Lab/Pitty mix. He chews through everything super quick. I've tried rawhide bones, Kong, and lamb bones. Nothing seems to keep his attention for very long. He liked the kong when I first bought (with wet dog food stuffed inside) and he actually chewed it. Now he just licks it all out. What do you folks use for strong chewers?

2. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

;Q Not an easy question because you have to constantly guard against the animal chipping his teeth. This said, as long as the dog doesn't get carried away and you start to hear, 'cracking sounds', I'd suggest flavored Nylabones and/or large pieces of heavy cotton or hemp rope (NOT polyester) that you can soak in chicken bouillon. ;)

3. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Try one of these, [​IMG]
    They also make a 5-7" femur bone as well.
    This will keep him busy for awhile.;)
    Link for the page

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Our dog chewed through the red kong like nothing. So we switched to the black kong. That is great and will last 6 months or more, depending upon how much she attacks it.

We hardly ever fill it with anything. Mostly, it is all just play drive. We toss it, try to take it from her, have her retrieve it, bounce it, ect. Now when she gets excited, she runs for it on her own and chews on it.

We also use a horse ball outside (made for horses, a ball with rubber handle to grab). We don't let her chew that, but chase her around and kick it for her to run after.

5. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

First, keep TONS of durable toys around... usually the solid rubber type. My Doberman routinely crushes tennis balls... I've tried basketballs, and the same happens.

BEST SOLUTION...

Go to your local butcher/grocery meat section and talk to the guys there... get RAW knuckle or other large bones. RAW, NOT cooked. RAW because cooked ones turn brittle (still hard, but they can splinter) and can SERIOUSLY harm the dog (bleeding gums, bone splinters in stomach, etc.). Then, FREEZE these bones. Give the pup these when frozen, to sooth aching puppy gums. They will sit there for hours working this frozen, raw bone. Just make them chew it on a towel or confind area (as when it thaws, the blood will leak a bit).

6. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

my rottie is a pretty strong chewer. i buy him the black kongs which usually last a couple months. i also give him beef marrow bones (the long ones). they seem to last the longest.

7. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Galileo Nylabone, the Souper size. (not the regular Nylabone) I've had one for over 4 yrs with up to two power-chewers in the house and it's still useable! Available at ebay for 9$ or so. Petsmart/Petco also have them for similar prices mail order.

Just make sure you know where it is placed every night, 'cause it hurts like anything, when you kick it in the dark barefooted! OUCH!

8. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Every vet I've been to says bones are bad (Iknow, I know-Wild dogs and wolves eat bones all the time). Real bones can splinter and pierce esophagus, stomach, or intestines. Nylabones are better.