suggestions for emergency food supply........

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by hogship, Nov 8, 2019.

1. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

2. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

IDK about the food but any website that has a sale countdown timer and tries to hype the product but "limiting" three per customer sounds like a gimmick to me and I don't like supporting the sort of folks that advertise like that.

I personally do beans, rice, flour and canned meats and vegetables.

KILLERtj, Joe H, cheygriz and 5 others like this.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Guess anything is better than nothing. If you ever really need it, I'm sure it will taste pretty good.

BRabbit and cbetts1 like this.
  4. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Basics/staples that are cheap in bulk and are quality nutrition.Half the world subsists on bean/rice.Water and a way to filter it,you can go a lot longer without food than water.'08.

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Countdown clock.......you gotta be kidding.

6. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Could just buy twinkies they never go bad

7. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

The movie Rescue Dawn was a dramatization of the escape from a Vietnamese POW camp of a fellow called Dieter Dengler.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462504/

There was also a documentary film in which he gave his own account of his story. At the time this film was made he was a commercial airline pilot and living pretty well - very nice house, classic car, etc.

Among other things, during his captivity the entire camp had starved. There's a spot in the film where he opened a hatch in the floor & let the camera look down to a cubbyhole where there were many sealed, white 5 gallon buckets - like food service containers. He explained that these were filled with rice, honey, and flour. He said, "I may never need them but I sure sleep better knowing they're down there".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145046/

Deltic likes this.
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Use what you eat, rotate it. I am tossing many cans of tomato products, fruit, evaporated milk.... Cans bulging, leaking... That's a waste.
    We had a plan. But events changed things, going into basement became hard for me for @5 yrs, wife had family issues. So it sat, and sat...
    But I have eaten a lot of stuff this last yr with "best by" dates in 2008. Frozen Cooked ham is still great, bacon ok, veggies hit, miss (run cold water to melt ice, drain that ice away or they taste off)

Maccabeus and R.B. Riddick like this.
  10. northslope66

northslope66

11. Deltic

Deltic

The good thing about stuff like this is it is convenient to buy and already packaged. At that point I have run out of good things to say. That kind of stuff is all carbs and salt with very little in the way of vegetables, quality protein and healthy fats. It would beat starving but I think after a couple of weeks you would probably feel like @#$%.
    What are your goals here? Do you want something easy to get you through a couple of weeks after a hurricane or do you want several months or more of food storage? Are you ok with either eating or donating canned foods every few years or do you want food you can store for 20+ years?

12. MSP Sarge

MSP Sarge

How long can you keep DAK Hams? Anyone try them after several years?

13. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Add a water source and a dozen chickens, and you have a plan. The canned hams would be my choice since Spam seem to be so salty these days.

14. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I'm not really sure what I wan't to do.......but, I'm monitoring this thread for now. I've put some canned spam and other meats on my list for now......canned tuna in oil, too......and, will start packing away some canned veggies, too......some bagged rice.

What about Ramen.....is it good for the long term?

Some airtight plastic ammo boxes from HF?

Thanks to all for contributing.......

15. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

What? Just buy some canned goods, ready to eat.

Lasts forever.

16. Mattmangt

Mattmangt

We got a whole bunch of surplus MRE from DRMO. Using the older ones when camping and keeping the newer ones in the emergency kit and rotating as we get more.
    Taste gross, last for ever and provide solid nutrition.
    I haven't looked into buying MREs but there's got to be a way purchase or civilian versions.

Got to be ready when the big one hits.

17. Deltic

Deltic

I would not be so sure about lasting "forever". I had a can of sauerkraut self destruct and it messed up every can under it. As pointed out in post 9 & 10 tomatoes and other things can go bad. If you donate to food pantries or soup kitchens make sure you donate a few months before the best by date or they might throw it out. I think the old style cans will last longer than the easy open cans in bad storage conditions(no thin spots on the lid). I have had some foods that were edible but not nearly as good a newer can would have been.

18. Deltic

Deltic

Ramen may last a long time but it takes up a lot of space and it is not really healthy. Spaghetti takes up less space and you don't have to smother it in pasta sauce you could use it in Chinese dishes. I think some of the Mormon stores used to sell it packed dry in #10 cans. Most people use Mylar bags with O2 absorbers for long term storage. The bags are placed in buckets with airtight lids and should be good for years. There are loads of threads right here and tons of how to videos on YouTube.

19. Deltic

Deltic

cbetts1 and larry_minn like this.
  20. Deltic

Deltic

hogship likes this.