Suggestions for concealed carry of a Glock 21

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Mister_H, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Mister_H

Mister_H

Recently I took the gun safety course and am awaiting my Concealed Carry License. My grandfather gave me a .45 Glock 21 and a side holster for open carry but the instructor told us to never open carry because it makes you the first target if they know you are armed. I am new to guns but want to concealed carry my Glock. I am 6'6" and a bigger guy. I weigh about 380 and typically wear around a 4XLT shirt so that it is loose fitting. I need suggestions from the people who have Concealed carry a Glock on what Concealment Holsters and setup I should be looking into. Thank you for your replies everyone.

litepath likes this.
  2. ajensen

ajensen

When I had a Glock 21, I used the LAG Tactical Defender. As a matter of fact, I have an LAG Tactical Defenders for all of my pistols. The beauty of this holster is that you can make it an OWB or IWB by just changing the supplied belt loops. I don't work for LAG nor am I reseller of their products. Just love their holsters.

3. Glock199mmP

Glock199mmP

4. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

I used a clinger no print for my 17 and it worked well.
    It’s close in size to your 21

5. heavyduty

heavyduty

I’ve successfully CCWed my 21. I prefer it IWB despite the thickness.

Yetiman likes this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

IWB (Inside the waistband) is usually the way most people concealed carry. Within that style, you have a couple of basic options. 3 O'Clock to 5 O'Clock (your belly button being 12 O'Clock), or what many call AIWB (Appendix Inside the Waist Band).

I would look at a couple of options. For carry from your side to just short of the samll of your back, I think Cross Breed Supertuck is probably one of the best options. I prefer them with the Horsehide option as the leather is thinner and tougher.

For AIWB, I would look at JM Custom Kydex with the wing option. The wing helps pusg the butt of the gun into your side, heloing with concealment.

Between the Crossbreed Supertuck and the JM Custom Kydex, one will probably work for you.

7. fredj338

fredj338

BEing larger frame helps, IWB helps. The hardest part of the gun to conceal is the huge grip frame. I can't do a full size G17 IWB with just a shirt as cover, I need a jacket. You might pull it off IWB with a cover shirt at your size @ 3:30-4:00.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  8. dubito

dubito

I like my G21sf, and I've worn it well in a Crossbreed SuperTuck.

9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

You can also carry OWB at either 3:00-3:30 of crossdraw but with a loose cover garment such as a lightweight safari vest or XL untucked shirt to conceal the gun.

You might also want to save up for a G30s for easier concealment and use the G21 primarily for home defense

orangejeep06 and Teecher45 like this.
  10. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Comptac MTAC for IWB, Mitch Rosen Premier Express for OWB, and Safariland 6378 for Open Carry

11. davethehiker

davethehiker

Sounds like good advice. I need to try a "Crossbreed Supertuck". I have been using a stealthgear revolution which is similar but made out of rubber. I liked it at first but discovered the screws were falling out, then the toothed nut cut a hole through the rubber. I think leather would last a lot longer.

It's a lot easier to find a gun that you like than it is to to be satisfied with a holster. I have a drawer full of holsters.

I good heavy belt is also important. I found a "pair of "Perry Suspenders" keeps my paints from being dragged down by the weight of my weapon. I snap my suspenders on over my Tee shirt and cover everything with a long shirt tails. My preferred CCW is the G29 as configured in my avatar. I like it but tends to drag my paints down. The suspenders puts the weight on my shoulders and keeps the gun in a very comfortable place. It is a pain when you need to lower your paints!

HGGMB and glock1097 like this.
  12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I have a Stealhgear Ventcore for my G43, but don’t wear it much anymore as I primarily do AIWB when carrying it. It held up ok, but is thicker than my horsehide Crossbreeds. After a few weeks the horsehide starts molding to your body, it is very comfortable once that starts to happen.

I am not sure if they make a Minituck for the G29, but if they do, you might find that as good or better than the Supertuck for that model.

A good place to check before buying new is Crossbreed seconds site. Sometimes they have exactly what you need at s good discount. I think they are mostly returns as I have never gotten one that had a blemish from them.

davethehiker likes this.
  13. Teecher45

Teecher45

I agree with Borg.
    My “suggestion” would be to buy a 30 or 36 for carry also.
    You know you want another!..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. davethehiker

davethehiker

I just checked and they do NOT make Minituck for the G29. :-( I will need to go with the horse hide "Supertuck". The amazing thing is that they even provide an option for micro red dot with suppressor sights! I just tryed to place the order but it did not work. I'll call them tomorrow. I decided to go with the combat cut.

Thanks For the help.

WeeWilly likes this.
  15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I hope you like it.

Not sure if you tuck much or not, but I like the "V Clips" option when wearing my CB's with a tucked shirt. The V-Clip goes over your pants and has Velcro on the top side. I use a little opposite Velcro on the inside of my belt and it supports the gun well and the clips are basically invisible. I use one of the 3M industrial grade Velcros as they stick to the inside of the belt better (or the ultimate is a velcro lined belt (some of the gun belt guys offer that option).

G29 might be a stretch for tucked carry, but it works great for my single stacks.

Good luck.

16. Dave Richardson

Dave Richardson

A couple of years ago I was at the range and the guy in the aisle next to me was shooting from concealment and shooting very well. Big guy, he was carrying a 21 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, wearing jeans with a large golf shirt untucked over it. It actually disappeared pretty well.

I got to talking with him afterwards, I thought he was shooting a 17 until I saw his cases on the floor, it was his everyday carry and he did shoot it very well.

17. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I carry a g37/g21 in a Wright bros. Predator holster at 3:00-:30. I wear a Carhartt shirt untucked over it. If you are going to conceal carry you’ll need to dress around the gun.I routinely wear my glocks in busy places and probably other than fellow ccw’ers i’d say no one notices.

18. davethehiker

davethehiker

I discovered that I had to first open an account with Crossbreed, then I was able to place my order on line tonight.

I'm long waisted and broad shouldered. I have NEVER been able to keep a shirt tucked in for very long. In fact, I'm now a big fan of those "untuckit" shirts. I ordered the holster with the default belt clip. My order is placed but I have no idea when it will arrive. If they need to make me a custom horse leather model for my RED DOT, it might take a while.

WeeWilly likes this.
  19. randyc74

randyc74 Retired police officer and retired holster maker

litepath likes this.
  20. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

If you plan on carrying OWB (Outside the WaistBand), consider as your first holster a plain and inexpensive Glock Combat/Sport Holster (about $15-20). It rides high and tight and is fairly comfortable and durable.
    Make sure you order the lager size that will fit a G-21.
    Pointless to buy fancy expensive until you get a feel for what you really want. Take it from a guy that has a large trunk full of all kinds of holsters.
    Also buy a good GUN belt; a cheap regular belt won't support a gun well - particularly a hefty one like the G-21.
    tbc.

Overkill777, dubito and orangejeep06 like this.