Suggestions for art

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by frank4570, Sep 5, 2007.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I am currently reading "The still hunter" it is a great book by a passionate hunter. The author says he was inspired by a couple of paintings of hunting his father had on the wall of the house where he grew up.
    I would like to similarly inspire my 8 year old son. Does anybody have any suggestions of paintings or prints I could buy?
    Thanks

2. Sharker

Sharker

My uncle used to have a picture laminated on a cypress section that was used as a clock. Anyways, the picture was of a beautiful white tail buck! Wasnt a massive deer, but the way the picture was taken, and the background made it beautiful!

My suggestion, get a good camera and take the boy "photo hunting" so he gets a taste of the woods and has ownership in the "art" and the satisfaction of it along with the memory! Plus who knows, you could create a passion in him for photography, or painting... anything could come out of that. And kids with hobbies avoid the "partying lifestyle" alot more than kids with out it!

Sorry, almost all my art work is either done by me, or by my friends mom. Most of it is very outdoors oriented!

3. groundhawg

groundhawg

check out the works of
    thomas aquinas daly and jack paluh.
    you wont be dissappointed.:thumbsup:

4. noway

noway

BassPro has some fine hunting art if you care for the prices. FWIW they aren't all that bad. Cabelas has some nice items also.

But I find that things YOU get and the stories you speak of will be of great inspirations for your son. It worked on me from my father trophies & stories, his brothers trophies & stories and then their father trophies & stories ;)

just my 2cts input.

5. groundhawg

groundhawg

6. frank4570

frank4570

Wow! I looked at some of the Jack Paluh paintings. I will be buying some of those for myself, whether my boy likes them or not.

7. Black Bart

Black Bart

8. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Look into gun manufacturer's calendars. Some gun stores get them with their name on the backing page (that can be easily removed if desired). They're free for the asking and come out around November/December.

Browning was my favorite, as they had beautiful photos of hunting dogs, pups to graybeards, in either a hunting, prehunt or post hunt setting.