Glock Talk banner

Suggestions for a CHEAP Double Barrel Shotgun in 12 gauge....

16788 Views 33 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Bren
Hey all,

I'd like to pick up a cheapo double barrel shotgun, either side by side or O/U, it doesn't matter much. One thing I would want is to have ejectors on it.

I want to cut back the barrels to about 20 inches and use it for home defense. In fact I want to gift it to my sister so she can use it for that purpose. That is a better choice for her as she is not going to go to the range to learn a pump or semi auto. A double is better than a single too. That's how I came to the choice of a double barrel. In case you were wondering.

So, can you all give me some brands and models to look for? I'm gonna browse the gun sales sites for used stuff and there's a good gun show here in the Houston area about every 2 or 3 months and I'll hit that the next time it comes if I am not able to find one before.

Thanks all.

Nalajr
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Build the Wall
10,462 Posts
Hey all,

I'd like to pick up a cheapo double barrel shotgun, either side by side or O/U, it doesn't matter much. One thing I would want is to have ejectors on it.

I want to cut back the barrels to about 20 inches and use it for home defense. In fact I want to gift it to my sister so she can use it for that purpose. That is a better choice for her as she is not going to go to the range to learn a pump or semi auto. A double is better than a single too. That's how I came to the choice of a double barrel. In case you were wondering.

So, can you all give me some brands and models to look for? I'm gonna browse the gun sales sites for used stuff and there's a good gun show here in the Houston area about every 2 or 3 months and I'll hit that the next time it comes if I am not able to find one before.

Thanks all.

Nalajr
I actually have this gun:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/?manufacturer=306

Simple, 5 rounds, rack it and pull the trigger. It sure beats a SxS where you only have two shots!!!

Get your sister to a range if she is going to have a gun!!!!!!!

TGG

· Build the Wall
10,462 Posts
FYI.....

With the 2 inch shells you can get two more rounds in the tube!!!!

TGG

· Registered
10,527 Posts
If she is not willing to go to the range and practice she has no business with a gun in her house, second amendment or not.
That was my initial thought too. If she is "not going to go to the range to learn a pump or semi auto." then there's no way in hell I'd trust her with a gun.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
A double barrel sawed off shotgun? Its probably a good idea she doesn't go to the range to shoot the gun. The first time she pulls the trigger she will never touch it again.

A shotgun is not the best home defense weapon out there. Like others have said she needs to have training on whatever weapon she is going to use for home defense or get her a big dog if she doesn't want to learn the 4 rules of gun safety.

· Banned
5,193 Posts
Stoeger is the best value for a coach gun, double barrel short shotgun. Not really the best home defense weapon, and as others have noted, needs training like anything else.

Any time I hear someone say "cheap" in connection with a firearm, my first suggestion is to say "dont' get a firearm," especially if it's followed by a statement that no learning or training will take place.

If you get a stoeger, there's no need to be cutting a barrel (do you know how?). You can buy them in shorter barrels, choked or unchoked.

· Registered
628 Posts
Go to gun broker and click on firearm's then shotguns, then doubles. Scroll down to barrel length and click on the length you want. But remember double and cheap don't go together, especially with ejectors. I would advise not to cut down the barrels of a double as they are soldered together and the end is filed with solder. You would need to re-solder the end and if not done properly the barrels will be weakened. What ever you do don't get a gun with hammers. A coworker used one for a house gun, he went to pull it out of the closet and one of the hammers snagged on a coat. The hammer pulled back about a quarter of an inch snapped forward and he lost an ear. I wouldn't worry about ejectors, an inexperienced female shooter firing a short barrel shotgun isn't likely to pull the trigger more then once. A 20ga loaded with birdshot might be a better gun for her.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
While I agree that training and instruction are very important, there do seem to be more than a few stories of someone using a gun without firing it to protect themselves or family members. And my guess is there are at least as many gun owners who have had no formal instruction other than what they got in a store with a purchase or a couple hours in a permit class as there are who have had a full day's worth of instruction.

Reactions: Berto

· woo woo
31,826 Posts
While I agree that training and instruction are very important, there do seem to be more than a few stories of someone using a gun without firing it to protect themselves or family members. And my guess is there are at least as many gun owners who have had no formal instruction other than what they got in a store with a purchase or a couple hours in a permit class as there are who have had a full day's worth of instruction.
That's a good point.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.