close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suggestions for a 22 Handgun, Revolver or semi

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GlockoPopPopPop, Feb 4, 2010.

1. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

Anybody have any suggestions, im looking for a 22, most likely a revolver, (iv heard most 22 semi autos have problems) but im open for any suggestions...

Something I can let the girlfriend use, or first time shooters, and somethig i can shoot for super cheap....

Im not a big fan of the ruger 22s... was looking for something resembling a 38

2. Smashy

Smashy

Why not?

3. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

be be 100% honest, i dont like the way they look.. haha i know thats stupid but its the truth,. i like the traditional revolver look...

4. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

Isn't the single action the most traditional of all revolvers?

The autos give you a better value in terms of quality for the dollar paid----the price of a good revolver is really starting to get up there.

5. Paul7

Paul7

Found this .22 Colt Frontier Scout on Gunbroker. I like the looks a lot more than the Ruger SA .22s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

love that name!

I just recently rented a 22 ruger and i didnt really likes the way it felt or worked.

So the better value is with the semi auto? Any suggestions ? was looking for one around $300

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Back a few decades ago when we thought ammunition was incredibly expensive there was a Smith and Wesson K Frame in .22 LR that was amazingly similar to the K Frame 38/357 that was standard for duty. A Model 17 or maybe the same in stainless would work.

8. fearnutsnotguns

fearnutsnotguns Chem Major

You won't find those for less than 500 smackers. If it's a square but older model and has 10 in the wheel, get it because they're rare and hard to find. You are talking about the 6 inch barrel version 17 right?

Regards,

Fearnuts

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

S&W model 17 (K22). I have a CT laser on this one for night time practice.
    [​IMG]

Ruger MK II or 22/45. The girl is shooting my Ruger MK III. The other girl is shooting a S&W 3 inch J Frame. I start new shooters out with the Ruger and they do very well with it. I've had the Rugers since 1961 and wouldn't be without one, although I don't like the MK III.
    The S&W Model 34 J Frame, that this girl has holstered is a very nice gun but hard to find and expensive. This 22 is the same size as the 38 J Frame.
    (The girls are shooting left handed because I told them, "You are making this shooting look to easy. I want you to shoot left handed for a while. :) )
    [​IMG]

The Ruger Single Six or the Ruger Bearcat like my little friend is shooting.
    [​IMG]

10. moncoacp

moncoacp

I have a Taurus Model 94, 4", 9 shot that has been good after an initial issue. Now in shop to lighten trigger which is fairly heavy but more so since I got arthritis in my fingers.

11. dr_hefley

dr_hefley

I shoot a S&W 617-2 and really like it. It's pretty expensive though.

It's built on the S&W K-frame and it's also pretty heavy for a .22.

12. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Love my Taurus 94 - tens of thousands of rounds through it without problems.

Learn to shoot a DA revolver well, and shooting a semi-auto will be a piece of cake.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Try a Browning Buckmark. :)

14. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Good little 22 and a good looker too:wavey:
    I personally like semi auto 22's but If I could only have a wheelgun it would be a Ruger single six or a S&W K22

15. oldnoob

oldnoob

How about Beretta Deathray.... I meant Neos. It's inexpensive, small grip and super easy to take down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. diamondmike

diamondmike

If you like the Rugers or not I can not think of a 22 pistol that will take a licking and keep ticking like the Mark I or Mark II.
    I can not comment about the Mark III since I never owned one.

The Mark I or Mark II is built like a tank and the extra steel absorbs what little recoil the 22 has yet still keeping the gun light making it girl friendly.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Semi is good fun. Wheelguns for teaching novices.

18. cphilip

cphilip

I would have to call the Single Six that Ruger makes the closest in look to what would be what everyone calls a Traditional looking revolver.

The Colt Single Action Army is probably what most identify as the most classical looking western style revolver.

And the grip frame of the Single Six is as identical as one can get to that. Now, granted they put sights on top of it so there are minor differences there. But, practically, the Single Six is as classic as anyone makes in a .22 revolver. Often comes in a set with a .22 win mags cylinder in the box.

19. deadite

deadite Groovy.

[​IMG]

Any of the above would be excellent choices, but I'm looking for a S&W model 17 or K22. :)

deadite

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

Yes I was talking about the six inch Model 17. If I recall the four inch was a Model 18 although Supica's wonderful book indicates there were some four inch and eight and squosh inch Model 17's. I admit I have not looked at prices recently but if I recall, I paid more for a new Smith 622 than I did for my 17. Of course I also never thought I'd see a 63 go for more than a 17 either