Suggest some good "starter" optics for a Three Gun AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Gladorn, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Gladorn

Gladorn

Trying to get into Three Gun but it is taking a while for me to buy each piece of equipment. As I'm only able to shoot about four times a year, I'm not looking the best/most expensive right off the bat, but something serviceable.

I've been getting a lot of suggestions from fellow competitors. Unfortunately most of them keep suggesting optics that cost more than my M&P 15.

What most of the competitors use is a 1X4 (long shots) with iron sights or red dot for the closer shots.

I just found this one today: Burris Fullfield TAC30 Tactical Rifle Scope with Fast Fire II Red Dot Reflex Sight and AR-P.E.P.R. Mount

This is one of the few that seem to be a combo set, while everything else seems to be buy one piece, buy another piece, Et Al. But it's within my price range. I don't know, I'm not quite sold on it. I don't want to have buyers regret because I won't be able to buy a replacement for a long while.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I'm still trying to learn my way around Three Gun. My goal is to have fun because most of the matches are pretty frustrating to me right now.

2. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I think that optic will serve your purpose, but in general, the rule is buy once, cry once. B/c you will eventually sell that to fund what you REALLY wanted. Eye relief etc is a major factor, so you way want to look through one to see if you can acquire the target quickly.

3. Redstate

Redstate

I've got the Burris Fullfield TAC30 on an AR. Just the scope, no red dot. Excellent scope, and I read many good reviews on it before I purchased it. In the reviews, many used these for 3Gun.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Trijicon Accuppoint 1-4 with a GOOD quality mount would be my suggestion

5. nightstalker865

nightstalker865

Vortex PST 1-4X

So far it is the best budget optic I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I would have to agree with you on that one. It's whats on my 3 gun set up. Noveske 18'' competition set up.

[​IMG]

7. OdinIII

OdinIII

Gladorn, I'm in the same boat. I have a Burris MTAC that I really like and need a new scope for a new rifle. I think most people like the knob for illumination over the TAC30 but both scopes are completely serviceable.

There is a new reticle available for the MTAC and if it didn't have BDC then I'd probably have already ordered one. I may end up with a 1-5 XTR but I doubt I'll feel like the extra money was well spent.

8. Gladorn

Gladorn

Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to get down to the gun show in Doswell. Long drive, not much to show. The majority of the optics on display were really cheap no-name brands. I want inexpensive and basic, not cheap and junk.

I was rather disappointed in the show, by the way. But I got to handle some neat stuff that I'd like to buy if I ever won the lottery.

9. crockett

crockett

If you don ‘t want to end up again in another frustration, do yourself a favor and buy some quality glass.

For 3 gun you will need these features:

- True 1x magnification at the lower end. Most if not all lower budget and even mid range scopes actually start at 1.4 which will prevent you from aiming with both eyes wide open.

- A huge eye box.

- Large field of view.

- Daylight visible illuminated reticle (many are not bright enough in sunlight).

- If possible on the lighter side.

I suggest getting at least a Vortex Razor HD Gen II Riflescope 1-6x24. This scope has a pretty good eye box and FOV. I’d skip the red dot if you go with this or better.

PS: stay away from the scope junk on gun shows, it’s all the same rebranded crap made in China.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  10. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

+1 for the Vortex. I decided on the Spitfire II for my M4 and while it isn't inexpensive ($350) it's a quality optic that I like and it doesn't break the bank.

11. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Semper Fi CLM

The Razor is sweet, but I think $1500 is a bit much for his stated occasional use.

12. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member CLM

The Tac30 and MTAC 1-4 are great budget optics...well ahead of anything in the same price range. I hit 10" plates out to 600 yards with mine and use it as a first choice in matches where the range is inside 300 yards or so. Forever warranty, great glass. I do use the XTRII 1-5 on my main 3Gun AR and if your budget allows, it is worth the price tag.

Gladorn and Redstate like this.
  13. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Does the lack of parallax adjustment bother folks ? It's been no issue for me. Just curious.

14. Gladorn

Gladorn

Excuse my ignorance, but all I'm familiar with is horizontal and vertical adjustment. Would you be referring to an adjustment to correct for the drop of the bullet at longer distances?

15. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

16. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Nope. When you look in your scope and move your eye position (i.e., move your head around), you will notice the scope reticle appears to move with your eye position unless you happen to be looking at the target at the distance that coincides with the parallax setting. Some scopes have a fixed parallax setting - e.g., 100 yds. Other scopes have an adjustable parallax setting. So think of adjustable parallax as having the effect of flattening the reticle against the image. Say you have a target at 150 yds with your parallax set to 100 yds...you move your head and you see the reticle appears to move with your eye. But if you adjust the parallax setting to 150 yds, your head/eye movement has no effect of the reticle - i.e., the crosshairs don't move with your eye position.

It's not kiss of death in accuracy to have a fixed parallax setting. It just means that it becomes more important to center the eye position and keep your position fixed when straying from whatever the parallax setting is for that particular scope.

I noticed that most of the optics mentioned in this thread have a fixed parallax setting. Just curious whether that has bothered folks when competing. Obviously you're not going to want to make parallax adjustments on the fly while competing, but you might want to make an adjustment if you know your more distant targets are significantly different than your current parallax setting. Or you can be like me and just seemingly ignore it. Just didn't know what others have found.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Gladorn likes this.
  17. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member CLM

On the 1-4s, parallax is not a big issue. When you go to the 1-5 and up, it does become more of an issue. I had to change stocks on one gun to get rid of the parallax. The cheaper optics, like the Vortex Strike Eagle, have terrible parallax and past about 300, I have seen people go to war fighting parallax.

In 3Gun competition, most people don't even think about it, but the top level shooters do.

18. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Thanks!

19. alicea8541

alicea8541

Parallax is not going to be a big issue at the relatively short ranges of a 3 Gun match either. If your fundamentals are solid, it won't be an issue at all except in some of the weirdest positions, if necessary. But then we go back to the relatively short range, and once again, not a big issue. I would recommend the Vortex and Athlon optics. Here is the Athlon Argos BTR 1-4x24 FFP mil/mil on my 6.5 Grendel. Give it a look if you can find one locally.

[​IMG]

Gladorn likes this.
  20. Gladorn

Gladorn

Nice set up.

So a noob question about three gun... Is this AR set up for three gun? If so, I don't see a "close in" optic set up on it. Can you use the glass for close in shots?

(Again, sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but all of the competitors seem to be using two sets of sights, glass and BUIS or red dot. If you can do close range shots with the glass then I'm all for it.)

Thanks!