Suggest an accurate revolver.,22

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by frank4570, Oct 27, 2010.

1. frank4570

frank4570

My 11 year old son wants a .22 revolver. I figured I'd get myself a squirrel pistol in the bargain. That means serious accuracy. I'm hoping there is already a 22 revolver that is known for it's accuracy. I'm not a revolver guy, so I wouldn't know.

2. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

The Ruger Bearcat is nice and sized right for children.

3. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

4. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

To line up those two functions You should take a look at the new S&W model 63 with 5" barrel.

5. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

A Ruger Single-Six would work and can be found reasonably priced used. They last near forever.

However, my preference leans toward a double action revolver. I would recommend a Smith and Wesson K-frame .22LR, so long as the budget covers it. They are well made and accurate (more so than the Rugers IME). As a bonus, DAs are faster and maybe a bit easier to reload. I hate sliding .22s through the loading gate on the Bearcats and Single-Sixes, so much so I sold the S-S in this picture after I bought the S&W M-18. I paid $500 OTD for the Smith and have not once regretted the decision. This one stays with me until I'm gone! :tongueout:

[​IMG]

Edited: How accurate is it? It actually shoots better than this, but here's one example:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

K frame may be too big for 11 years old hand plus all K22 have match chambers.
    They are good for accuracy, but once they get dirty (which is nothing unusual with 22 lr) rounds may get stuck and be pushed in/out.
    Not always fun on a field gun.
    No such problem with model 63.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  7. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

[​IMG]

Here is a Smith J frame model 34 in 22LR and 4" barrel. It would be a good size for your 11yr old boy. Aftermarket grips are plentiful, so you could make it fit him perfectly.

hog

8. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

I just picked up a mint S&W M34 with the 2" barrel and it is about the sweetest pocket .22 I have ever shot. Extremely accurate, fits most any size hands and would be a really great item to start a child on. Kind of pricey but worth every cent!

Ronaldo

9. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Not sure about the weight but accurate would be the Smith 617, maybe with a 4 inch barrel. I have one with a 6 inch and I mounted a red dot. I can do pretty good even at 50 yards!
    [​IMG]

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

I love the [email protected]'s, but IMO the Ruger Single Six would be a great choice and plenty accurate.

This was at 65ft;

[​IMG]

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

K22
    If the grips are to big, get some after market grips.
    If the gun is to dirty to easily eject the brass you should have cleaned it a long time ago.

12. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I'll second this. Or if you can find a Model 34. The J-frames would be the perfect size for that age and not too small for you either. The K-frames are getting a bit big and heavy in the newer models like the M617 with it's full underlug barrel.

13. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

+1 The Ruger single action .22 revolvers would be ideal.

I own a Smith & Wesson 617 .22 revolver which is very accurate and fun to shoot. Its an investment as they run near $800 new, well worth it IMO. It may also be too big and heavy for a young kid to shoot well, but he will love it when he gets older.

14. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

With all respect.
    If You are going to burn 300-500 rounds during one training session the second advice of yours won't apply.
    K 22 are great target guns and that's all about it.
    Model 63 is far way better gun for intensive plinking though and works very well in the field.
    It's easier on maintenance as well, since it's a SS model.

15. 1gewehr

1gewehr

The Taurus M94 works well for people with smaller hands and is an accurate plinker. It's a nine-shot double/single-action revolver on a small frame.
    They do get a bit dirty after a couple of hundred rounds.

16. Berto

Berto woo woo

Every .22 revolver I own gets pretty sticky after about 100-150 rounds. They are small chambers and most rimfire ammo leaves a decent amount of residue...it's normal.

17. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Another vote for a classic bearcat.Get him that one and he'll hand it down to his own kids someday.

18. RWBlue

I think you are looking for something different in your 22LR revolver than the OP.

The OP is looking for a revolver with serious accuracy. To achieve serious accuracy with a 22LR you need a tight chamber. The K22 I have is older (Pre-1974) and probably not shot until I got my hands on it. It has fairly tight chambers and a fairly tight extractor system. The tight chambers actually help keep the brass from slipping around the extractor. Extraction should never be a problem because it is a 22LR. Turn the gun up side down and pop the extractor rod with the palm of your hand and sticky brass comes out. (Now loading will be an issue long before you have extractor issues. You will have to push in each bullet individually.)

I don't own and to the best of my knowledge have not shot a 63. Is it a seriously accurate revolver or just a great gun for plinking? I had a H&R Sportsman a long time ago. It was great as a plinker, but was not seriously accurate. I could also get the brass to slip around the extractor if I didn't dump it right.

You mention shooting 300-500 rounds in a training session. To reach 300 round you have had to load it 50 times. How long will it take you to reload a revolver 50 times? I am guessing after loading and precision firing the revolver 50 times, you will need a mental/physical break and it is a good time to clean the revolver. If on the other hand you are trying to use it as a combat training gun, the plinkers are probably a better option in the plinker category. They will not need as much cleaning, but they will not be seriously accurate.

19. RWBlue

One more thing, for seriously accurate 22LR guns, you need seriously accurate (read that as more expensive) ammo.

20. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I own a M17, M63 and M617-1, all four inch barrels. The M63 also has a M651 cylinder in .22 WMR fitted for it. They are all exceptionally accurate. The 17 being the best and the M617-1 being the least, but it is splitting hairs to call one better than the other. They all outshoot me.