Sugestion To Moderator or Site Owner! (Read)

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Viper4ug, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Viper4ug

Viper4ug

Hi,
    I do have to start by saying wow this is my favorite site. Ok now that thats out of the way.

This is a sugestion to the moderators or Board Owners.

Part 1.
    I would like to see subcatigorys in the firearm listings area of this site, by state, perhapse have all states 3 or 4 per subcatigory in alphbetical order.
    For example:
    Firearms Listing (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona)
    Firearms Listing (Arkansas, California, Colorado)
    Firearms Listing (Connecticut, Delaware, Florida)
    Firearms Listing (Georgia, Hawaii, New Hampshire)
    Firearms Listing (Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky)
    ETC.... So on So on...
    and have people actually list there guns forsale in the proper place. If most are like me they prefer to be able to buy localy to insure satisfaction. Once again this is just an idea and a sugestion.

Here is a secound sugestion
    Part 2.
    Perhaps there is a way to make it mandintory for people to Spell out there state in the subject line of the post. Maybee a drop down tab that you click to select your state, and it will automaticly put (FLORIDA) at the begining of the subject line. Just a thought, it is very anoying to be looking on the sight for a local post of someone selling something do to people not writing out the state clearly.

Please feel free to leave feedback on these ideas, i really think this would help the fire arms listings forums though, one or the other. Thank You for reading this and i hope it is ok to make a sugestion here.

2. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

I fully agree with part #2.

I would also like to see a "Want To Trade" section on firearms if possible. Eric may have some of these ideas in the works when he does the new overhaul coming up.

3. mastery

mastery

I could pass on #1 myself, too many forums to have to follow. However, #2 is a great idea. I thought it was mandatory to list your state already, but it's not being addressed at all.

This is a great site, and I think the forums would see a lot less bandwidth if the states were listed in the titles mandatorily. I find myself clicking on dozens of sales only to immediately hit my back button once I discover that the state isn't close to me (I like to inspect before purchasing if at all possible).

4. Viper4ug

Viper4ug

Please leave your feedback on this so the person who has control over it can get a good feel for what if anything should be addressed.

5. howie given

howie given raven

the state in the post subject would be great. #2 works for me^c ^c ^c

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

You can lead a horse to water...[​IMG]

7. bigjohng1

bigjohng1

Knowing at least the state is so very helpful. Knowing the city would even be better.
    If when registering it was mandatory along with your user ID that shows up in the post on the left, then it would always automatically be there.
    Regards, John

8. DHB

DHB

Would like to see suggestion #2 implemented.

9. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Well, they don't seem to mind deleting other non-complying posts. I know the moderators are busy but this subject has been discussed ad nauseum.

The "post your state in the subject" rule is well known and widely ignored. (Some idiots even insist on posting "WTB" in the "for sale" forum.)

See: Sticky

Even when folks include their 2 letter state abbreviation in the subject line, it's no great help because you cannot search on it since searches must be for at least 3 letters.

And for some reason some sellers insist that posting their state somehow limits their market. I have never figured why they think that.

Also, another solution would be to allow "sales" in state forums, but such posts are forbidden and will get you in trouble.

I am grateful for the moderators' efforts, but this is obviously a problem in need of a solution.

I've stopped trying to buy firearms through GlockTalk because I have no FFL and don't want to wade through all the out-of-state things that are not available to me.

10. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1

I also agree to the number 2 suggestion. I'm in Mass and for the most part we can only buy certain handguns and it would be nice to see what is being sold from someone in the same state. Figure if you put up the state as a drop down, it would be easy to do a search for that state.

11. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I personally don't care whether or not the state is in the subject line or not.
    I also believe we should be allowed to post ads in the various state clubs.
    Just my opinion,not my site though.

12. RAH

RAH Keep The Change Millennium Member

I guess it takes too much effort to email someone if you're interested in what they're selling. If people posted all their personal info along with the hours that they're at home there would still be whinnying.;Q

13. CaliforniaGuy

CaliforniaGuy

#2 is a good idea.
    It could also just be required that people post the following info in the title.

State, City, and Price (this is a big one, I hate ads that have photos and all and finally at the very bottom bottom is some outrageous price).

Ads lacking this info in the title could simply be deleted. If any of you use Sturmgewehr.com you're familiar with Buddy who runs a tight ship and deletes ads without such info. There could be a dozen or so moderators deputized here with delete power.

Another thing that you can't really enforce but that I don't get are ads that have no real descriptive info. Ads like

mini14, 375

(uh ok, ranch or regular, stainless or blued, what series, any mags, what sort of condition?)

You know, some people should try a little better and describing what they have and save everyone a little time.

14. jchen012

jchen012

I agree with #2. More specifically a more uniform way of posting your state, either using two letters or spelling it out completely. It makes it easier so that you can just use Ctrl+F to find your state. Perferably have the state at the very end of the subject line and have WTB or WTT in the front. It needs to be enforced more strictly.

15. Buckaroo

Buckaroo

+1

16. BigJohn83

BigJohn83

17. Viper4ug

Viper4ug

LOL i know look at how old that post is, this is something i just came up with and yes that crossed my mind when i made this thread, but any way lets not single out post please, lol thanks

18. buffaload

buffaload

#2 sounds good..........thought it was already a "supposed to be!"
    ;Q

19. poe

poe

I think the administrators are overwhelmed!
    For example look how many WANT TO BUY ads are in the "Want Ads Admin" forum (last 30 days).
    ;Q

20. Quarterbore

Quarterbore Millennium Member

The problem is the tool we are trying to use to do classifieds and there are not many affordable options that integrate with forums that will bring a true classifeds solution to a forum like this.

I started working on one for one of my web projects and I ahev weeks of time invested in working out the basic logic and I am still a long way from having a working code.

If there are any computer programers here tha are pretty good at MYSQL and PHP that want to help me with the project I would be willing to donate a copy of the script to the site here... my website also runs under vBulletin....

A discussion forum will always be a poor way to share, sort, and organize classified ads as that is not what it was made to do but yet we all try to make it work.