Glock Talk banner

Suddenly Jammomatic G17 and G19 from Federal Aluminum case 115gr???

7K views 67 replies 31 participants last post by  Intolerant 
#1 · (Edited)
(UPDATE: It IS the ammo, scroll down post for update below initial post)
Suddenly Jammomatic G17 and G19 from Federal Champion Aluminum case 115gr???

Had several failure to feed, double feed (?) on two different Glocks. First I thought it was the PMag21's but I also tried in standard G17 and G19 magazines with the same results.

HST 124g +P and normal HST 124gr ran like a top

I have run over 500 rounds of Federal Champion Alu case this through this same G17 without issues until now.
Have also run 2,000 rounds of Blazer aluminum. 1,000 rounds of Federal American Eagle Syntech. Magtech, Sellier and Bellot and reloads. Zero issues until now.

Tried the Fed Champ alu 115gr in a G19 with the same results. Failure to feed where the jammed round is nose into the chamber with tail up and the second round underneath it is partially forward. This happens with the PMags AND the G17, G19 OE mags.

Thoughts?

(UPDATE FOLLOWS:)
OK - more info
I tried to hand cycle through a magazine of HST 124gr +P
worked fine. Had one slight hang up but an extra firm rack had the round eject right out

Now- tried to hand cycle the Federal Champion Aluminum 115gr and NO GO.
I'm no weakling and I could NOT get any of the rounds to eject by racking the slide.
The slide will go back exposing about half of the round and STOP.

I measured the
HST and got .3850, .3805, .3755 w .3905 rim, .3410 channel
Fed Champ .3880, .3850, .3765 w .3880 rim, .3420 channel

It’s definitely the dimensions of these rounds from a case of 1,000. Previous rounds worked fine.

I’ve experienced these same stoppage issues with:
3 different mags
Pmag21 (4)
G17 mag (3)
G19 mag (2)

3 different Glocks that have proved 100% reliable with thousands of other rounds
G19 kkm match bbl
G17 gen3 bbl
G17 mos gen4 bbl

These mags and bbls feed and extract via slide racking without issues:
Cci Black 115
Federal HST 124
Federal Eagle Syntech 115
Magtech 115

Only these boxes of federal champ aluminum have stoppage when firing and hand cycling the slides

See less See more
#4 ·
Suddenly Jammomatic G17 and G19 from Federal Champion Aluminum case 115gr???
Most likely the low power of the ammo causing the slide to short-cycle and catch the rounds before they are in position to feed.

Change your recoil spring, change your grip or change your ammo.

#6 ·
Grip? Been shooting glocks since 1996 and don't do terrible with USPSA.

Low power? These don't feel super low power. Been reloading my own ammo for quite some time too. Several hundred Powder puff reloads have worked fine with these G19/G17 so not sure it's due to low power...I am going to measure these rounds and see if there is an issue there.

There is definitely something wrong with this ammo though...

#10 ·
Interesting

I use that ammo quite a bit
The Federal Champion Aluminum works fine in my Dan Wesson 9mm and has worked fine until today in my G17/G19.... dunno - probably a bad batch

#9 ·
I had some CCI aluminum case that would not function in my Glock 34, Browning Hi Power and S&W 6906. On the day that I was going to donate them to my local range, I tried them in my Glock 26. They were flawless and very accurate. That was a real head scratcher. :headscratch:

Reactions: Glock Commander
#13 ·
Lol
No I’m pretty sure that something is wrong with this batch of ammunition and not the magazines nor the glocks

I was asking to see if anyone else had this issue and could reduce my troubleshooting the ammunition dimensions

#14 ·
I’m thinking this batch works fine in a single stack and misfeeds in the double stack due to some dimension issues

#16 ·
I'll trade you my Winchester "Forged" 9mm ammo that chokes in every Glock magazine, factory and aftermarket, I have tried.

Rough finish on the steel cases actually prevents a double stack from moving smoothly inside the mag-- rounds bind each other as well as the mag, get stuck. Unlike the Russian stuff, no polymer coating on the cases.

#18 ·
I'll trade you my Winchester "Forged" 9mm ammo that chokes in every Glock magazine, factory and aftermarket, I have tried.

Rough finish on the steel cases actually prevents a double stack from moving smoothly inside the mag-- rounds bind each other as well as the mag, get stuck. Unlike the Russian stuff, no polymer coating on the cases.
Thanks
That might be part of what’s going on
I might put the rounds into the vibraclean to polish them up and see if that helps

#21 ·
OK - more info
I tried to hand cycle through a magazine of HST 124gr +P
worked fine. Had one slight hang up but an extra firm rack had the round eject right out

Now- tried to hand cycle the Federal Champion Aluminum 115gr and NO GO.
I'm no weakling and I could NOT get any of the rounds to eject by racking the slide.
The slide will go back exposing about half of the round and STOP.

I measured the
HST and got .3850, .3805, .3755 w .3905 rim, .3410 channel
Fed Champ .3880, .3850, .3765 w .3880 rim, .3420 channel

#23 ·
Op ... You're saying there's some metal to metal binding taking place?

#24 ·
These federal champion aluminum rounds are out of spec

I’m going to contact federal and see what they’ll do

#25 ·
Lot number is F10Y102
Purchased from Brownells I’m pretty sure
Weird thing is that the first half of the case didn’t jam

Unfortunately I have another 1,000 case of different lot number unopened that I know got from Brownells

Anyone have luck getting ammunition replaced by vista Corp?

#34 ·
Can you check the lot number?
It’s printed on the inside end tab. Where did you get yours?
Have you called federal?

Reactions: AdamRodgers
#33 ·
To recap
It’s definitely the dimensions of these rounds from a case of 1,000. Previous rounds worked fine.

I’ve experienced these same stoppage issues with:
3 different mags
Pmag21 (4)
G17 mag (3)
G19 mag (2)

3 different Glocks that have proved 100% reliable with thousands of other rounds
G19 kkm match bbl
G17 gen3 bbl
G17 mos gen4 bbl

These mags and bbls feed and extract via slide racking without issues:
Cci Black 115
Federal HST 124
Federal Eagle Syntech 115
Magtech 115

Only these boxes of federal champ aluminum have stoppage when firing and hand cycling the slides

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.