close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suck or Blow? Also strange problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by beefums, Aug 15, 2006.

1. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

The fan on the processor, is it to suck the air away from the heat sink or blow air to it?

Also I have a high pitched wine coming from the PC. I have no clue what it is. I checked the fans of the processor and my vid card, nope. Its not coming from my power supply either.

2. Thirties

Thirties

It is for sucking rather than blowing (pardon my French).

You can easily see this by placing your hand at the outlet. If the wind feels warm, it sucks bigtime!

3. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

Ok good. I put it to suck air away from the heat sink and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to. The dumbass that put this together had it blowing.

Anyway, I need to figure out what this whine is. It is driving me crazy

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The 'dumbass' had it right the first time.

All my CPU heatsink fans direct air through the fins and this sends that air out across the board.

Which further removes heat from the passive Northbridge HS, the DIMMs, the vid card...about everything, in fact.

This is the unit I use whenever possible:
    [​IMG]

Why would the fan blow out from the CPU cooler when its sole purpose is to direct cool air, which is blown in by the sidepanel fan, through the cooler's fins?!

Work WITH physics, people, not against it.

They even sell air ducts that direct the cool air from the sidepanel directly into the CPU heatsink. If the fan is blowing AWAY from the MOBO, this would not work, your PC will overheat, and you get to build a new one in short order.

The whine is coming from the CPU cooler; now that the CPU is overheating more easily, it is ramping the fan's RPMs in an effort to keep cool.

Turn it back around and see if it doesn't quiet down. And if that doesn't help, try it with the sidepanel removed.

If you touched any of the case fans, you probably prevented the case from venting the excess heat--which explains perfectly the issues you are having now.

Lots of luck, fella.

5. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

It was whining before I took it apart. I took it apart to see why it was whining. It didnt make a difference the way it was shifted. it still whines

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Okay, well, you say it isn't coming from your video card fan. Did you physically stop them from spinning? Or did you just test 'by ear'?

Does it sound like a fan in need of oil or like a camera's flash capacitors recharging?

Did you test with the case's side panel removed? Does your PC tower reside inside a cabinet, by any chance?

If you can describe the timbre of the noise, I should be able to assist you more.

Even localizing the source of the sound a bit would be a big help.

The way to localize noises inside a PC is to plug one ear with your finger and put a narrow paper cone up to the other ear. Just roll up a sheet of printer paper until it looks like an ice cream cone, 1/4" at one end and >3" wide at the other.

Move the big end around inside the box; the whine will be louder in one spot. Let me know which spot it is coming from, and we'll go from there.

Best regards,

Eric

7. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

I physically stopped each of the fans and the noise continued.

I found the loudest area around the harddrive/disk drive area. I blasted the air with some compressed air and cleaned out the case of all the dust.

The wine sounds like how a plane sounds like when you are inside the terminal the the turbine spools. Just not that high pitched

8. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

LMFAO. It needs to blow. I think the noise is coming from your chipset fan. Mine was a screamer.

9. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

It sounds like you are losing your hard drive

10. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

I figured that it was going. What can I do to save all the information on the HD?

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I will buy a new HDD, Slave it into the problem rig as a Secondary Slave, and use Western Digital's Date Lifeguard floppy to duplicate the old drive to do this.

Then all you need to do is put the new drive in the Primary Master spot, with the jumpers reflecting that, and you should be golden. Dispose of the old drive in any way you see fit once the new data is verified to be 100% good.

Autoclave is a good utility for that; set it to 30 passes writing 0s and 1s, and even the eggheads at the NSA will pull their hair trying to retrieve data from it.

Good luck!

12. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

FastVFR gave you good advice.

+1 on the dummy having the fan on correctly. It is designed to blow air down and into the heat sink.

As for the wine, its prob. your CD or DVD rom. I had a user who complained that when the computer was turned on it sounded like it was trying to "take off". I told her to remove the cd and the sound went away.

K

13. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

I had my ear up to the HD, it is definately the harddrive and not the CDROM drive.

Ok now, how the hell do I do all this slave and master BDSM stuff?

14. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It's simple, really; easier to do than to explain. Just make sure the new HDD is the same size or larger than the old one, and is also PATA, not SATA.

Step 1: Shut off the PC and plug the spare IDE jack from the set that is plugged into your CD drive into the back of the new HDD.

If you have two CD drives, detach the one positioned in the middle of the cable. Attach a Molex plug from the power supply to the new HDD.

Step 2: Make sure the jumper is set correctly on the new HDD--it's that little white, black or blue block that straddles two of a set of at least six pins on the rear of the drive.

Step 3: Insert the Data Lifeguard floppy (comes with new Western Digital IDE hard drives) and power up.

The application floppy should boot rather than Windows. If XP comes up instead, you'll need to change the boot order in BIOS.

Press Delete when the system is booting, then find the setting, make sure it goes "A:, CD, C:" so the HDD boot sector is the last one tried. Save And Exit, and the PC will reboot using the new settings.

Once the floppy boots, you'll have several options--you want to Clone your old HDD's data onto the new one, so choose that option.

Let it go until it tells you it's done copying data.

Then power down, remove that floppy disk, and replace the old HDD with the new one.

That's 'all' there is to it!

Let us know if you get stuck.

Best regards,

Eric

15. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

Thanks for the steps. I will need to do it in 2 weeks when I get paid again.

BTW, I figured out exactly what it sounds like.

A refridgerator. :freak: