Success at losing weight

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gokyo, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Cirdan

Cirdan

I, too, need to lose weight and keep it off. I eat pizza - once a week. I eat french fries - once a week. I eat pasta - once a week. No snacks, cut off eating by 8 p.m.

Watch out for salads. The seem 'healthy' but a lot of restaurants are serving you 1,200+ calorie salads.

2. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

Those are bad too. But if you count your carbs, those will take care of themselves.

michael_b likes this.

3. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

Really? Huh. Never thought about that way before.

4. Hannie Caulder

Get a carb book and live by it. I maintain my weight within 3 or 4 lbs.

michael_b likes this.
  5. poles19

poles19

I downloaded the MFP app after i saw this thread. Yesterday i only had 2 pieces of pizza instead of 3 because that third one would have put me over my calories for the day. My goal is to lose 20 pounds. I think with using the app and exercising a little i can do it.

6. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

My last doctor visit I was told I am obese. Not sure how many obese people run a 7 minute mile bench 350 and squat 450... at 6’1 218# and 23 y/o I am in the best shape of my life, but medically obese. Lol.

I find that once I made serious exercise part of my routine everyday I got tired of feeding myself junk. Now I cook 98% of what I eat and it’s so much easier to control portions and manage macros when you prepare the food. Congrats on dropping 30 lbs OP! Quite the accomplishment in its self!

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  7. BradD

BradD

Agreed. This is true of my salads also. When I am trying to lose weight, I don't eat a lot of them. I usually add three tablespoons of olive oil, sunflower seeds or other nuts, avocado, etc. It's very healthy, but it doesn't take long to get in four digits of calories.

I seem to lose and maintain a good weight most easily with Zone Diet sized portions of Paleo foods. Carbs mostly from fruit.

I have also done a lot of IFing over the years. That works well also. It is hard to over-eat in a 4-8 hour window, but it can be done.

8. michael_b

well you have to, but that's why I listen when you post about weight loss. lol

Hannie Caulder likes this.
  9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I'm sure you lost some weight. But you may have gained some muscle too.

Body weight isn't the only key measure of health, so I wouldn't get too caught up on that alone. Losing belt size inches is a great indicator of health, especially if your exercising is up and your weight is not going down :)

10. Hannie Caulder

Even if you don't exercise, if you keep your daily carb intake <30 grams you will lose weight.
    But it's not easy. One slice of bread is 12g of carbs. One cup (not bowl) of cooked pasta is 45g.
    So basically you eat salads.

michael_b likes this.
  11. michael_b

See? It's impossible for Italians lol.

Actually my carbs are pretty low not not under 30. Since I went gluten free it's cut my carbs way down.

Hannie Caulder likes this.
  12. Hannie Caulder

No it's not, just avoid the pasta. Shrimp scampi is my fave (I'm part Italian).

13. Dbltap22

Dbltap22

Paleo and intermittent fasting during the week (dinner only). Lost 20 lbs in a year. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradD likes this.
  14. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

You are obese according to your BMI (body mass index).

At 6'2" my "ideal" BMI is 194 lbs. I lost 60 lbs and got down to that weight while on keto just to see what it was like being at my "ideal" BMI. I hadn't weighed that since I was a junior in high school (I'm 64 years old). Wasn't an ounce of fat on my body and I looked anemic. I ran that weight for about 6 months but felt run down and tired. I finally stopped trying to stay there and have been around 200-205 lbs for the last year. I am hoping some of that is muscle since I've been lifting a lot over the past year. I still don't have any fat on my body but look healthier.

Quigley likes this.
  15. VTEC214

VTEC214

The hardest part is finding what works for you. We all need a different formula for what our body needs (food type, calorie intake, exercise). That’s the hard part in finding what works for your body. Also you didn’t gain it overnight so don’t expect it to be lost over night.

Dbltap22 likes this.
  16. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

As obese as a college linebacker can we I suppose. A BMI of 28.7 is considered overweight/obese. I don’t believe that to be an accurate assessment. Too many protein shakes and power cleans? Probably not.

17. 2bgop

2bgop

Nothing I have ever done has made a bigger improvement than fasting. I can't believe how much better I feel and how easy the fat was lost by increasing my daily fasting time. I now fast at least 18 hours a day.

I am training for an elk hunt I have coming up this fall, my weighted pack interval workouts are better than they have been in years.

BradD and Dbltap22 like this.
  18. Dbltap22

Dbltap22

I did the 5-6 meal plan with walking/ biking when I was 240lbs but I obsessed about my next meal. Got to 220 intermittent fasting got me to 170. Paleo plus IM got me to 160. I no longer factor food around my life. I am hungry by dinner and eat very well for 5 hour window. My longest water fast is 60 hours. Believe it or not, it isn’t that hard once you get past 24. But I didn’t get there overnight.

YouTube videos gave me some science behind it. Our gut is not made to have food all the flipping time. It needs rest. An the body can heal itself and get rid of the waste and dead cells. I do work in healthcare. And this flys in the face of it. We don’t have all the answers. Just historical evidence. And everyone is so very different.

19. Dbltap22

Dbltap22

I’m 6’ slight athlete build. It is very strange wearing mediums with room. And I Ccw so much better.

20. 2bgop

2bgop

For some health reasons, not really good ones, I have to do some pretty long water fasts. It really is much easier than people realize, I can go 3 days pretty easy.

Dbltap22 likes this.