Success at losing weight

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gokyo, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Gokyo

Gokyo

For several reasons including health related issues I have decided to lose some weight.

I have lost 30 pounds since May.

What is really working for me is a phone app called
    MyFitnessPal (MFP)

I set a goal and then track my food each day. It is really helping me retrain my eating habits.

Some observations
    Fruits and vegetables are low calorie
    Lean meats are low in calories.

Avoid bread, tortillas, donuts and bagels

Pizza is the devil.

If you want to lose weight MyFitnessPal (MFP) could work for you.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Congratulations.

larry_minn and TBO like this.

3. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I know it works but I don't want to quit eating those things. Lol!
    Seriously though, I gotta lose about 50+ pounds. I've got hypertension and I just don't feel good anymore. I know it's from the fat on me and the sedentary-ish lifestyle of mine.
    Keep up the good work man.

glock1097, larry_minn and Jay S. like this.
  4. chinomalo

chinomalo

I have experimented on myself and I’ve realized a couple things from this. Also, I’ve seen the extremes including surgery and liposuction.

Eating and exercise are needed for extensive weight loss. Otherwise the weight will come back once the exercise is gone. The weight loss programs based solely on food are robbing people blind. Exercise =activity are the key to balancing weight loss.

Whether it be keto, paleo, no carb, high protein, fasting, etc if you don’t add activity, you will be back in your rut again.

I like fasting and exercise. I continue to “listen” to my body for better ways to optimize what my goals are.

Adapt and overcome.

Dbltap22, redneck ron and Whittsailor like this.
  5. astepup

astepup

I've been doing the keto-like diet. All the protein I want, some fats and I try to minimize carbs and sugars. As of yesterday I'm down 22 pounds since I think the third week of June maybe? I consider it to be a lifestyle change that I know if I stick with it I'll get the results I want. Of course this means I'll have to continue eating ribeyes, tenderloins, New York strips, sirloin, succulent iowa chops and chicken....but I think I'll survive.

6. -JCN-

-JCN-

Jimmy Johns sign: “If you want to lose 20 ugly pounds... cut off your head.”

:D

@Gokyo Congrats man, keep it up! It takes discipline every day and making good choices takes effort but worth it in the long term.

Joshhtn and Detectorist like this.
  7. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Congrats. Glad you found something that worked for you. I used Atkins and exercise to drop that much and keep it off for the last year or so. Atkins was probably easier for me than using an app. I have been backsliding on the diet for a while, but I have learned to do what is good for me, avoid all processed foods and too many carb calories.

8. Gokyo

Gokyo

If you are serious and you own a smart phone please give MyFitnessPal a try.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Pfffttt....

That's a good start... After the second heart attack I radically changed my diet to fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes...

And yer absolutely right that Pizza is the Devil!!! :cheers:

I will admit that I admire your determination and brilliance to do it before you have a heart attack!!! :) Good Job, you can do it!

:waving:

UH Go Bows, treg and WeeWilly like this.
  10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

When I used to lift weights regularly (before my spine went to ****), Myfitnesspal was my go-to calorie/macro counter.

Good job on losing the weight!! 30 lbs ain't no joke and you should be proud!

pugman likes this.
  11. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

I'm using my fitness pal as well and I've lost 30+ lbs as well since late May as well. Started at about 280 and I'm working to 225. Feels great! I'm down to half dose on my heart meds. I need to find a diuretic to replace my heart med and I can come off completely.
    I intentionally don't exercise because that is my lifestyle. I just watch the calories and portions. I am relatively active but if exercise is not in your life, don't start unless you figure some way to make it a part for the rest of your life.
    Being on a diet is a type of religion, you have to want it, and hunger is a way of life moving forward.
    I will be on my fitness pal the rest of my life, it's too easy to do. I recommend it 100%.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Robert Cohen, glock1097 and Cmacc like this.
  12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I believe it is simply calories in vs calories burned. Doesn't matter what you eat nor how much you exercise, but rather is the math of those two.

However, the type of food you eat may make it easier or harder to control the calories in. Veggies make it easier, pizza makes it harder :)

And some types of exercise may be easier to regularly do, without hurting yourself, for a long time in your life, burning calories as needed.

It is finding the right sustained mix of those two things, diet and exercise, that all the fight is about.

Weight loss is a difficult battle when we have seemingly unlimited supplies of food available to us, and we rarely need to work hard to get it. Because we have it so good, we get fatter and lazier.

treg, Jisbell40, astepup and 4 others like this.
  13. morgoth

morgoth

I always find if I quit drinking Alcohol my weight starts dropping in a hurry.

treg and lazarus66 like this.
  14. NJ1911

NJ1911

Thanks for the tip. Keep up the great work. I inherited my mother's high blood pressure and started meds last November. Doctor's main instruction was to lose weight. I am 6' and was 214. I gave up soda and got serious a few months ago and eat a lot of lean protein and fruit/vegetables. I'm gradually losing weight, which is what I wanted. Last check up I was down 7 pounds from the previous checkup 3 months prior and my BP dropped 20 additional points. Also tightened my belt one more hole.

Jan R Whitaker likes this.
  15. Gokyo

Gokyo

Could not agree more.

That is one of the things I love about
    MyFitnessApp.

If I eat a giant slice of pizza. No big deal. However the consequence may be that is the only thing I eat that day. Or I can eat celery and salmon all damn day long.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  16. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I was 10 pounds when I was born (my mother blamed me and never quite forgave me), was up to about 210 in high school, 230 when I got out of college and hit a high over 270 around age 40. At that point I lost over 100 pound and have kept it off for nearly 20 years now. Smart phones were not a thing back then so I used a computer program to track what I was eating and still use it.

A few things I learned along the way:

1 - It is better to make small changes you can live with forever than big temporary changes. Losing weight means making permanent changes to what you eat. You will be much better off making small changes you can live with forever than going on a restrictive diet nobody can stick with for very long for a few months. Losing a little weight forever is much better than losing a lot for a short time.

2 - A calorie is a calorie. Anyone trying to tell you there is a magic type or combination of food that will let you eat as much as you want and still lose weight is a liar. As long as it results in fewer calories being consumed any diet will work. Like you I found a low fat approach that has food with lots of bulk and not a lot of calories like vegetables works best for me. Some people crave meat and are better off emphasizing lean meat as in the various keto/Atkins type diets. Whatever results in your eating fewer calories forever is the best choice for you.

Recognize that you will probably have to choose between being hungry some of the time or fat all of the time. Any diet claiming you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight is BS.

3 - Losing a lot of weight is typically 80% diet/ 20% exercise. Exercise is important for your overall health regardless of what you weigh and helps with weight loss. But unless you plan on running a 10k every time you go out for fast food instead of having something low calorie you are not going to burn off what you ate. The calorie counters on most exercise equipment are often wildly optimistic. Exercise also increases your appetite and can take a lot of time out of your day. Plus, it gets harder as you age. Look at the stories of people saying exercise is the key to losing weight and you will see a lot of them complaining about how back when they were in their 20s training for an iron man competition they could eat 5000 Calories a day an not gain weight but are fat now. Welcome to middle age. Who has time for that kind of training while they are raising kids and working 40+ hours a week? Even if you do have the time things like arthritis, back problems and other issues often make exercise really difficult or impossible. You can always eat less. At any age or fitness level.

I am divorced with no living children so I have time to walk several miles a day. And doing so has really helped with blood pressure among other things. But when I have had to stop exercising it was pretty easy to compensate by eating less. Trying to make for overeating with more exercise has never worked for me.

4 - Do not expect miracles. I see ads where some 50 year old guy lost 20 pounds and now wakes up ever day full of energy surrounded 22 year old supermodels. The health benefits from losing weight are very real in my case. My blood pressure is way down (exercise does make a huge difference here) and while I have arthritis I have so far avoided the really bad joint problems that run in my family. And I have a lot more endurance for physical activity.

But women have not started flocking to my door, apparently there is this whole "personality thing" that was unaffected by weight loss. And I never noticed an increase in energy in my working day as an engineer which is much more mental than physical.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Combatcomm, DaveD, hannstv and 4 others like this.
  17. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Great job! Its hard work, but totally worthwhile.

18. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

Agree 100% Trying to completely eliminate food you love is extremely difficult. It is a lot better to just plan on indulging occasionally and make up for it. I tend to average things out over a week instead of a day but the same principle applies.

19. Schrag4

Schrag4

My story was very similar, decided I was getting too fat and decided to use MFP. I really didn’t change what I was eating, just how much. Plus, now I am trained to count the day’s calories in my head and decide what I can indulge in at the end of the day (if anything). I did end up skewing Atkins because I could be more satisfied for the same calories. Lost 20 lbs and am keeping it off. MFP is easy, free, you might as well give it a try, if you hate it, delete it from your phone. That said, I knew others using the app for a long time but it wasn’t until I stepped on the scale and saw 208 that I decided to do something about it. Point being, everyone has their own wake up call, and it likely won’t be reading about an app online, but rather a glimpse at a mirror or scale, or the like.

Quigley likes this.
  20. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

The way I lost weight was I bought smaller plates. The only thing that works for me is eating less. I've lost over 40 lbs and kept it off for three years...

treg, Combatcomm, Deltic and 3 others like this.