subaru info please

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wallyglock, Feb 19, 2013.

1. wallyglock

wallyglock

my 98 outback has had a rebuilt alternator just about 6 weeks ago . ( full 1year warranty )

one week ago the car started to crank a little slowly so i took it back to same shop and had all tested , batt. & alt.
    battery was showing it didnt have proper number of cranks , a little under 400 & is suppose to have over 500. battery was nearly 3 years old went ahead with a new one installed right then ... believe it is a 6 or 7 year battery . one of their top ones.
    i work nights and last nite at 3 am lunch break , i went to drive home and nothing ..... ignition just would " click" lights and all worked full strength .
    raised hood , couldnt see any loose connections . got back in car and when trying to start it i worked the key back and forth and in a couple of seconds it took hold and started normally .
    what does this problem sound like ? some sort of ignition switch or ? AND how long will it be before this surfaces again ? will this be an expensive repair ?
    have tried the car since then once and everything seems normal ....... for now .

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Next time that happens, wiggle the gear selector lever...could also be a neutral safety switch. HH

3. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

It's not the neutral switch if you get a click. And that switch only applies to auto's anyway (you didn't mention if it was auto or stick).

Typically if you have a click (which is the starter solenoid engaging) but no crank you either have a bad battery or a bad cable connection. Since you just replaced the battery it's probably the latter. Take off all your cables and clean the contact surfaces and reinstall.

You can also try jumpering straight to the starter to test the starter itself. But easier to just clean all the contacts first.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Thanks, I misread. Connection (ground, most likely), starter relay or starter solenoid? HH

5. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

My wife's car did something similar and I noticed that the battery cable connection seemed a little loose. I took some pliers and ovaled the clamp, and it worked fine. Still is working.

6. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Yeah, done that more than a few times.

And, FWIW, I will NEVER buy an unsealed battery for a vehicle. AGM's are so cheap, so light, and they work amazingly well. No leakage, no corrosion, and they last forever. Odyssey PC680 FTMFW.

[​IMG]

(Not my pic)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. wallyglock

wallyglock

automatic.

did not see any loose cables and battery connections are not rusted or gunked up

wiggle ing the switch seemed to find a sweet spot where turning the key and starting seemed normal

8. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

It's a Subaru. From hearing what my friends say who own them, I never would.

9. Ragnar

Ragnar

Good. One more for those of us who know that Subies are top of the list for reliability.

10. goldenlight

goldenlight

Every 'crowd' has one....:steamed::steamed::steamed:

11. gTWO

gTWO

Don't worry, Golden, some moron's gotta buy the chevys! :D