close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sub Compacts vs Compacts Grip Height and Concealment

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jwizzl497, Feb 11, 2010.

1. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

In comparing the subcompact Glocks (26/27) to their larger compact counterparts (G19/23) - do the Compacts with their 5in grip print easily?? I understand that the subcompacts would naturally be easier to conceal with shorter grip but my question is do the compact 5in grip print easily?? In other words, are the 4.17in grip on the subs overkill or unecessary??

THis is relative to IWB carry only, not pocket carry, etc. I ask becuase many people say they have no problem concealing larger guns like 1911s and other compacts that have grips aorund 5 in. I mean even really small options like the Kahr PM45 is 4.5in high and that is much smaller in every dimension that the 26/27. Also, a lot of the 3in 1911s are 4.75 or 5in high. so I can't see why these compacts would print easily. How tall is too tall when it comes to IWB carry and printing??

I know the natural reaction is the subs are easier to conceal because they're shorter but are they easier?? Ok, yes they are shorter but is that actually a benefit? Does it print less than the compacts??

2. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

I recently went from carrying my G27 IWB to carrying a G23, and while the 23 is definitely concealable for me, it is more difficult than the 27. When I switched CCW guns I also went from a Galco Summer comfort IWB holster (with the 27) to a Crossbreed Supertuck, and I think that made it possible for me to conceal the 23. The G23 definitely prints more easily than the 27, at least with the butt of the gun.

I am a pretty thin guy(bit over 6'2" and 175lbs) and I don't have a lot of baggy clothes, so it can be difficult for me to conceal a thick weapon. I still find the 23 is quite doable, especially if I dress around it.

Now that I have had time shooting the 23 I am considering going back to the 27, because I was just that comfortable with the size and with my grip on the handgun. Either is a great choice though.

By the way I think that width is very important to consider in relation to concealment. The 27 and the 23 are exactly the same in width, so perhaps a narrower pistol is what you are looking for. I recently purchased a Kahr PM9 9mm subcompact, and it is quite a bit smaller than the G27 even. This thing is a DREAM to conceal and shoots very nicely(I Just put 250 break-in rounds through it yesterday.) I highly recommend it.

Edit: essentially I doubt you'll have any trouble concealing the 23 IWB with a good belt/holster(and if you dress appropriately.) That said, the 27 WILL be easier to conceal, and there are other good options if you find you have trouble concealing a Glock.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I have no problems concealing my G32 (compact). The 3/4" doesn't make that much difference over my G33 (sub). I find the extra barrel length helps stabilize the gun inside an IWB holster, especially with the topheavy grip weight of Glocks.

4. KCabbage

KCabbage

It really depends on your build, dress, and how you carry. I use a Smartcarry/Thunderwear, but I keep the grip above my belt line unless I need DEEP concealment then I use it as intended. My MK9(Kahr) is pretty much invisable on me but, my new C-Bob not so much. It's not the thickness of the C-Bob as much as it is the length of the grip. However, when I carried a Para CCW(officer frame) you coudn't see it one bit.

Basically, a 1/2" can make a difference. I have pistols of all differnt sizes so I can tote the right one for what i'll be doing/dressing that day.

5. Professor Zero

Professor Zero

If you plan to carry IWB, I find the G19 is actually better. There is more pistol below the belt line to keep it snug against your body.

If you carry OWB, the G26 is better because there is less of it to poke out from under your cover garment.

I find that carrying the G26, OWB at 3:30 while driving, there is less grip to poke me in the ribs.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

I am goining to go out on a limb here and say that it may depend on the holster, the user's build, and the clothing worn over the gun.

7. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

In my experience, it depends on HOW you carry, as in, the cant of your holster & its placement on your belt. I prefer a vertical/straight drop, right at 8:30/9:00 (I'm a Southpaw). With my G27 & factory length mags I have no issues w/printing. When I try this w/my G32, there is some printing caused by the extra length of the grip/mag.

When I go w/an FBI cant, there's no printing of the grip/mag w/either length pistol, but there is some caused by the top of the slide/near the rear sights.

8. coal

coal

Umm... yes, yes and yes. The smaller gun will always be smaller than the larger gun. The rest becomes opinion and/or application.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Ticman

Ticman

What I see a lot of is sub compacts with mag extentions. Might as well carry the compact, plus a little longer barrel is a good thing. I have no problem carrying a G23 with the right set up.

10. jlficken

jlficken

I used to conceal a G23 for about 2 years and while I could dress around the gun the G27 carries soooo much easier and doesn't dig into my back as I sit at a desk all day.

I like the hanging pinky as it feels comfortable to me and I wear XXL gloves and have skinny fingers. I am also 6' 6" and 190lbs.

11. mike28w

mike28w

That's some limb you're out on :rofl:.... have you ever considered politics ???:wavey:

12. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 NRA Life Member

Nice comparison pics Coal! I find that it really does come down to the shooter's preferences. Clothing type, comfort required etc. I personally love the 27 with the 23 magazine and magazine sleeve. It is the perfect combo for what I am looking for.

13. table

table

my 26 with the Glock +2 is still shorter in grip front to back than a 19. but if you can conceal a 19 easily go for it. i'm 5'5" so had to get the 26. had a XD9 Service, roughly the same size as a 19 and could not conceal it with a t shirt.

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The holster is obviously a big part of this. The Crossbreed Supertuck conceals beautifully because you can adjust the cant (more is better to conceal the grip). I love how my G26 rides in my Brommeland Max Con V with it's 24 degree cant.

15. Jschona1

Jschona1

This is the perfect topic for me. I am thinking of picking up a G19 tomorrow which i will probably carry IWB. I have been most comfortable with an FBI cant to it so I am looking for holsters.

I am about 6 even with a gut. Since i can not carry at or near work i would have the weapon with me in casual normally un-tucked clothing summer and winter.

EDIT: even during the summer i am never in just a t-shirt, it would always be t-shirt plus polo or button down shirt.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  16. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

I carry the 27 in a crossbreed quickclip. I also have a 17. I can conceal the 17, but the butt prints easily. I can conceal my Beretta M9, & I can conceal my 1911. But again those will stick out. I'm a large framed guy.
    The short grip & slide of the 27 makes it the most comfortable gun to carry for me. I can sit & drive & do activities in relative comfort. I carry all day every day, 8+ hours.
    I tried to carry a 23, & while it was doable I preferred the 27's smaller print size.
    I live in south FL & it's all hot/humid & I wear shorts & light shirts all year long.

17. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

I carried a g23 for years and still to this day love her - but I have come into a g30 a few weeks ago and have replaced her for my edc. it came down to printing for me and a g30 with the 10 round mag conceals very well due to the reduced butt size. I also carry a g21 13 rounder in my front pocket for extra rounds - only to reload never to carry. again I carried a g23 for several years without issue but have just found the g30 to conceal better for me. I know it is only a 1/4" difference but at 5'10" and 185 lbs I dont have a lot of room for error lol.

kydex handmade holster - iwb - for both the g23 and g30 at 3:00 or 4:00 depending on what I am wearing.

my suggestion would be to try and get your hands on a few and see which fits you best. a 1/4" can make a huge difference in comfort and concealment.

happy hunting and I hope you find one that fits you best