close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sub-compact, compact, or full-sized Glocks in California

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by III_M1KE_III, Mar 15, 2012.

1. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Hey guys. I own a Gen4 G26 and I'm looking to purchase a second 9mm Glock. I was thinking about buying Gen4 G19 but I'm running into the following dilemma as a California resident:

Any pistol I own cannot have a magazine capacity exceeding 10 rounds (I know.... California sucks for armed citizens). Because of this, I have a hard time justifying buying a full-sized double-stacked pistol as I'm limited to buying/owning 10 round magazines. I shoot the G26 well and I have NO PROBLEMS with the grip (with or without pinky extension mags). Other than the longer sight-radius and barrel length for longer distance shooting..... I just can't seem to justify purchasing a G19 or G17 as I won't be able to take advantage of the increased capacity.

NOTE: I have no plans on moving out of Calififornia anytime in the next decade so the possibility of legally owning >10rd mags in the near future is not going to happen.

After stating all of this.....can anyone help me to think of other reasons I might want to buy a G19 or even a G17 to supplement my existing G26? At present, I'm thinking of just buying a second G26 to provide redundancy should the current pistol end up out of commission for any reason.

What sized Glocks are other Californian's out there buying... and why?

2. dawgchamp

dawgchamp

I just bought a 30 for exactly your stated reasons. I don't want a "handicapped" 21 yet. For now the 30 fills the niche I had.

But when I move to Texas, a 21 is in the cards. ;)

3. Glock+2

Glock+2

Nope..:dunno:

4. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

Short and sweet..... pefect response!

5. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

I REALLY want a G30SF in 45ACP to compliment my 1911!

.....but I'm holding out for a while hoping that they release a Gen4 version. I really like the interchangeable back straps on my G26 as I use the large one and my wife (the primary shooter) uses none. I also very much prefer the larger mag release. Before I run out and buy a Gen3 G30SF I'm going to wait a little longer to see if there is any plans to release a Gen4 version this year.

6. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Good move waiting for the new G30. It solves your capacity dilemma AND gives you a great HD caliber for when you are overrun from south of the border. But your plan to get a duplicate G26 doesn't suck either. Never hurts to have your hands on a pair.

7. Lampshade

Lampshade

You don't get a rail with the 26.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. novasquid

novasquid

i was set on getting the g26, but then realized it doesn't have a rail. i chose the g19 for the rail and now have a tlr-2s on mine.

9. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

A very good point and something I hadn't even considered. I currently do not have any lights/lasers on any of my weapons. Perhaps it's time to consider this if I get tired of waiting for a Gen4 G30 and end up buying a 2nd 9mm Glock. Fortunately the G30 does have a rail.

Thanks for the input!

10. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

I don't know, maybe you might like to shoot something else other then a small G26. There are many reasons I like shooting full or mid size guns other then magazine capacity. The grip of the G26 is designed for CCW, not everyday shooting. Get the 19, who cares if you can only have a 10 round mag, the gun will be more comfortable to shoot.

11. 1canvas

1canvas

if i were limited to 10 rounds i would concider a larger caliber.

12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

But you can't buy ANY Gen4 in California!

Sure, you might get some gun shop to sell you one under the single shot exemption but, sooner or later, DOJ is going to figure out what is happening. When they do, they may consider all of the previous sales fraudulent - clearly, they are. It's a really bad idea to push the envelope.

Richard

13. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

The 1911 has been more than adequate for over 100 years. Now, suddenly, the extra 3 rounds in a California G21SF are considered too few? Really?

The average gun fight is 3 rounds. Or, both sides keep emptying mags until reinforcements arrive. It kind of goes either way. But 8 rounds in a 1911 has always been adequate. Heck, it's 2 more rounds that wheel guns have ever had (with a couple of exceptions).

This large capacity magazine thing was brought to us by the same people who thought that 30 round full-auto M-16s were the way to go. Just 'spray and pray'; no marksmanship required. Nice for clearing a house but useless where collateral damage is a consideration.

If the adversary doesn't go down with 2 in the chest and 1 in the head, it's time to beat feet.

Richard

14. dawgchamp

dawgchamp

That's not the point. The ridiculous capacity law in California is.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but for me I buy guns that can be filled according to design. My preference.

On the 1911 note, I don't go for eight round magazines either. Sevens are far more reliable, and I've found Checkmate mags to be the best.

15. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

This is such a ridiculous statement. You should suggest to your nearest military base that they go back to lever-actions.

There are a million factor that would make it not this simple. Even as a civilian, what if you are physically blocked from escape? What if you are also responsible for a loved one or even (morally) for an innocent victim? If three or 4 guys try to get at you, are you going to fire your statistically-average 3 shots and just run away?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

To answer the OP, I shoot my G26 as well as I shoot any full-sized guns. Thus, I would rather put that $500-600 into practice and training, or better accessories (better holster, better EDC light, better pocket knife, another mag or two, etc), rather than buying a gun that does the exact same thing.

I am also not opposed to increasing caliber to offset reduced capacity, though I dont think 45 from a short barrel is powerful enough to justify the recoil. I went all the way to 44mag when I was making this choice, though it was in a gun large enough that rapid fire was still easy, heh.

17. usmc2537gunny

usmc2537gunny

I just purchased a Glock 29sf and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. 10 rounds of 10mm is quite enough to get the job done. I'm a big fan of the .45 also and will purchase a 30sf pretty soon. I'm ready to put my 27 in the safe and call it a day. I spent a few years in 29 Palms and actually miss the desert a bit. Good luck to you my friend. Whatever you do just make it another Glock!

18. III_M1KE_III

III_M1KE_III

I already own a Gen4 G26. Exactly as you stated.... it was bought as an off-list single-shot exempt pistol. You can also acquire off-list handguns through private party transfers with LEOs who CAN buy them or CA residents who procured them out-of-state.

There is also an argument that the bullet-button which allows so many of us to own AR-15's is fraudulent, however, in both cases.... it is perfectly legal! There is an entire website (www.calguns.net) created for these very topics where you can find ample commentary from California lawyers.

I disagree about pushing the envelope.... I think it is our duty/responisiblity as Americans to fight for our rights and push the envelope when these rights are being encroached upon. Just my humble opinion.

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

When I was in the Army ('65..'67) they used to teach shooting. I was never issued an M-16 and the M-14 was a fine shooting rifle. Funny thing: neither of my M-14s had select fire. They didn't even have the notch in the stock to allow such a thing to be installed. Of all the hundreds of M-14s I saw in my very brief tour, I never saw a select fire M-14.

I see they still use the M-14 for those troops that can actually shoot. Good thing a few armorers hid them away so they weren't scrapped.

Pick up the other guns and use them. Come on! You can dream up all kinds of reasons to carry a minimum of 100 rounds if that's what you want. It just won't happen.

Other than in the drug trade, when bad guys get shot at by good guys, they tend to haul tail. Take one down and the others lose motivation.

If you don't have it done in 8 shots (1911), you are going to die anyway. There's no real shootout situation where a single good guy can overcome 3 motivated bad guys, no matter how much ammo he may have. You're simply going to get surrounded and die. Maybe you get one, maybe you get two but the odds are against getting them all. If they are motivated...

The odd 'home invaders' won't be hanging around after the first shot. Heck, they probably won't get past the German Shepherd.

In any event, the extra 3 rounds of a full capacity G21 over a California G21 aren't going to be the deciding factor. We're talking 13 rounds full capacity magazine versus 10 round California capacity. So, 14 versus 11 with the chamber loaded.

Some folks carry a spare mag.

Richard

20. John Biltz

John Biltz

I believe in practicing with my EDC. I also own a G26 and a spare, I also own a G30. I don't see any real reason to shoot another 9mm other than the G26, its a pleasure to shoot and its what I carry. The G30 I shoot once a month for the fun of it.