close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sub 40 second Unlimited match

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Fireglock, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

2002-03 hasn’t been a record-breaking year to date in GSSF. A lot has happened and we’ve seen more changes in GSSF than any other single year I can remember, but the one thing that a lot of us have been waiting for still hasn’t happened, a sub 40-second run in Unlimited. We’ve got the Carver Mount but the PDP5s are getting real hard to get, TJC has stopped shooting GSSF, Dale and Bobby are still shooting GSSF, Tony has started getting down pretty low and Philip is concentrating his Glock shooting in Unlimited. What’s it going to take to shoot a sub 40 match? Will Orlando be the magic match? Will we have to wait until next year? And last but not least, who do you think will be the shooter to accomplish this feat?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I think Tony will be the first to break the barrier. Tom had another birthday yesterday. He's getting too old.;f

3. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Fireglock in Anderson 2003!

Before the corrected results !!!;f

4. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I am going to say it is a close race between Bobby & Tony. Tony seems to be working really hard at it but Bobby has been really busy with his real job plus the scope mounts have been taking lots of precious practice time out of his schedule.
    I have been wondering the same thing, though. Both of these guys are great shooters & competitors so it is just a matter of time until one of them has the perfect shooting day where all the conditions are right, the gun & ammo are right & the shooter is right.
    You never know, though. The Carver mount is selling big so lots of folks are shooting unlimited & with it, someone out of the blue just may make that magic number. ;a MLM

5. Fireglock

Some additional information for your thoughts.

Top Unlimited Scores:
    1. 40.19 Tom Costanza, Harvard 2001
    2. 41.44 Tom Costanza, Topton 2001
    3. 42.06 Tom Costanza, Harvard 2000
    4. 42.52 Dale Rhea, Piru 2000
    5. 42.73 Tom Costanza, Westhampton 2001

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Some very impressive stats but with Tom out of the picture (sorry to say because I would rather have him in the picture) I also think that Tony is the one to watch. Yes there are a lot of great competitors out there but considering all aspects I would predict Tony. Now if Tom got back in the mix then all bets are off.

I would love to see that magic barrier broken and I really am not pulling for anyone in particular because we all know of a handfull who could do it on that special day when everything was clicking. When it does though I predict it will happen at Conyers.

7. Fireglock

I doubt Conyers will be the place. More likely Dallas, Lexington or Shelton, a smaller match where the players are more relaxed. You'll notice none of the top 5 finishes have taken place at Conyers. More pressure at Conyers? Bobby did post what appears to be the best score of the year at Conyers, but that was several seconds short of sub 40. I say appears because I didn't check every match.

With no layoff this year between 02-03 and 03-04 seasons a great many things could change, it might make scores better or it may hurt them. Traditionally scores have been higher after the layoff, Ft. Benning and Richmond are slow starters for the most part. We have had a few good scores in the AmCiv catagory but generally speaking nothing to shout about. With no layoff this year, Orlando in February and Anderson in March, we'll see what happens. There are a lot of variables at work here, practice time, health, real life work load, etc. I don't know that I'd expect to see a sub 40 this year, but it would be interesting to see. I think we now have all the basic ingredients, it's just waiting for a day when everything comes together for one of our better shooters.

8. Don At PC

Yep, Jerry; you make some good points and who knows the barrier breaker could just as easily be Dan, you, Phillip or a couple others we know. The potential is there just depends on that magic day when everything clicks into place.

Come on Orlando, I am about ready.

9. Clem

Clem

Hello all. I agree with what's been written so far. It will take a PERFECT match to achieve a sub-40 second total. NO added time. Smooth, consistent runs in all three events. 6-for-6 on every plate run. We all KNOW what it will take; it's just hard to execute on match day! I also agree that ANYONE mentioned in the above posts, as well as a couple of other shooters, is capable of putting together three strong events and coming up with the first sub-40 match. Will be very interesting to see who's first to put together "the perfect match" and attain what has proven to be extremely elusive so far!! When it happens, I predict it will be by the smallest of margins. The competition is tough, but that's what makes 'em so much fun!! One of the most pleasing aspects of the people who shoot GSSF is that, while we all try to win on match day, we share meals, "aiming fluid", conversations and tips to help each other improve! A perfect example is Bobby's "Tips" column. It's the perfect forum for sharing advice, ideas, tips, etc. and I eagerly anticipate its return. Bottom line, whoever accomplishes the first sub-40 match will have earned it. Best of luck to all involved in "The Chase"!!!! Tony / Team Sidearmor.

10. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

After reading this thread, it has sparked some ideas. Wouldn't it be neat to have a plaque at Glock that lists the lowest score shot in each category and the shooter's name? This list could be updated after each season. The names of those shooters could be advertised in an ad to promote GSSF. I think that this added incentive would be neat. What do you think?:) :)

In other words, the "Hall of Fame" could be on the "Wall of Fame" at Glock in Smyrna.

11. Fireglock

Tony has hit on a very important fact about GSSF, or at least the way we play it. I have received a ton of help from a few shooters here that has improved my scores and my shooting. Would I have figured it out without their help, maybe, but it would have taken who knows how long to get there. The folks I shoot against still offer ideas and tips. I hope I've helped a few as well.

I like your idea Bobby, a plaque on the wall would be a very nice touch. Might introduce another level of competition as well. :)

As to the sub 40 second match, I still think we can do it.

12. Don At PC

Great comments by all. I agree with most everything said.

Bobby; I think your idea is great. I may not make the list but it is something to shoot for, listen up GSSF; you are getting some super info here.

13. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

The new Orlando match and the up coming 2003-2004 season are going to be VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!;9 I agree with everyone also!!!;) I hope we see the sub 40 finish from one of our Sidearmor Teammates!!;f
    Good Luck EVERYONE!!!;l
    Dan:cool:

14. MFinch

MFinch Guest

Great comments by all. I also agree on the comments around the friendships we have developed through GSSF. Nothing like anything I've experienced in any of the other shooting sports. Also, checking Glock Talk to see what is going on is a nice way to end a hard day.

15. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I will most likely never shoot a 40, but I can come up with that many excuses.;f There are several that can do it, if everything comes together on match day. I think that TJC actually shot a sub 40 one time, but a stray shot just outside the ring knocked him out of it. The obvious result of an improperly made bullet! But with TJC out of it, the odds improve greatly for everyone else. Unless he comes back......;c

16. GJM89

GJM89

Jerry your absolutely correct, I've never seen more people give out great free advise as I've seen with GSSF shooters, now if I could only use all of the advise that you've given me, and Philip would only follow my advise Hmmmmmm.

17. PHARAOH

PHARAOH Guest

GJM89 how's the snow up there? Hmmmmmmm! Come on down to sunny? Warm? Florida. Are you going to make Orlando? Hope so!

Pete;Q

18. jjayh

jjayh

I agree, the tips from the pros and the willingness of all you guys to help new shooters is great. I also have a sub 40 second goal, but mine is for 5 to Glock, not the whole match!!!

Anyway, it's been great being involved in GSSF shooting and getting to know you guys. I hope we all break 40 this year. :) :) :)

Jerry H