Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Styer M9-A1 today.

I had the local small LGS order one for me sight unseen. I've never encountered the pistol first hand until today. I was a bit apprehensive that it would totally suck. The small LGS owner and I put 6 rounds each into his testing bullet trap. It's definitely enjoyable to shoot. Low bore axis, high grip, good trigger, unique sights. I'll reserve final opinion until after I've put a couple hundred rounds downrange.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I have about 1500 rounds thru my M9-C1 and it's been flawless. Had the gun since Black Friday - was on special at LGS. Took a bit to adjust to the sights but now I'm relatively accurate with them. I've thrown every type of FMJ & JHP I could find through it with nary a bobble. Low bore axis is a real pleasure for extended outings. I'm blessed to have many options when hitting the range......the Steyr remains a favorite. Hope you enjoy yours as I have mine.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I love mine.

When I first got it, she had a break in period that had me having about 6 failures to extract or eject within the first 200 rounds. It started to come out of it though and by 200 rounds, she was purring like a kitten. Just to be on the safe side of things, I did install a trimmed 1911 plunger spring inside the extractor spring for a little extra tension on the extractor. It doesn't have the interchangeable backstraps like my VP9 or PPQ M1 but it's still a very comfortable grip that really doesn't need the swappable backstraps IMHO.

·
NRA Life Member
30,657 Posts
I have one; it is what Glock should have been.

wp

Reactions: JaPes

·
Part Time
4,761 Posts
I recently took the plunge with a S40-a1. I've had it for less than a week and have fired 500 trouble free rounds through it. Phenomenal! I personally think it is a great looking weapon. The trigger is excellent and the sights are awesome. I'll be adding more Steyrs to the stable in the near future (the M9-A1 being next.)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes Bucky , the models are caliber specific. M9-a1= 9mm, M40-a1 = .40cal, C9-a1 = 9mm.

There are no options for each model. I have a couple different models. (M9,M40,C9,S9) If you want to try one I can bring one to the range day.

The sights are trapezoidal, which makes for a fast target acquisition for me anyway. My eyes focus on them faster.

They're great pistols, I never had any problems with any of them

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have read about these for years and you would think I would of run across one to just hold in my hand, but alas none of the shops or the guys at my range has every seemed to have one. Congratulations on getting one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Steyr doesn't advertise or market there pistols. It's a shame because they really are good guns.

They're tough to find.

If you can get used to the sights they're great guns. Some people just don't like the sights and won't give them a chance.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I have read about these for years and you would think I would of run across one to just hold in my hand, but alas none of the shops or the guys at my range has every seemed to have one. Congratulations on getting one.
I have the same experience as Gary. They are not carried by any of the shops I frequent.

·
Registered
15,882 Posts
Steyr doesn't advertise or market there pistols. It's a shame because they really are good guns.

They're tough to find.

If you can get used to the sights they're great guns. Some people just don't like the sights and won't give them a chance.
You can also get them with "standard sights" if you want. meaning 3 dot I think if you were ordering you'd just have to ask.

Posted by Jorge Amselle. http://www.tactical-life.com/online/?author=299

New 9mm that straddles the line between a full-size duty pistol and concealed carry gun!

Steyr’s C9-A1 9mm pistol has an improved and smoother trigger with a very short reset for faster follow up shots.

PERFORMANCE FOCUSED
The new C9-A1 seeks to straddle the line between a full-size duty pistol and a comfortable concealed carry or off-duty gun by combining elements of the two very successful designs—adding to the gun’s versatility. Steyr used the frame from its full-size duty pistol, with its larger magazine capacity and improved grip, and paired it with the slide and barrel from its compact model.

The most significant new feature is the dramatically improved trigger system. The redesigned Reset Action mechanism results in an incredibly smooth two-stage trigger with an extremely light first stage, which allows for prepping of the trigger, and an extremely crisp second stage with just the slightest amount of take-up. The trigger exhibited no overtravel and a very short reset with a 5-pound trigger pull that actually feels significantly lighter.

The limited access lock secures the pistol and retains the takedown lever.

Steyr achieved this improvement over their already good trigger by using a small roller on a crosspin that can be seen on the frame below the rear sight. This roller intersects the striker firing pin and greatly smooths its travel, which results in the super clean break of the trigger. This change does, however, eliminate the loaded chamber indicator available in previous models since it relied on the same pin. This may be a feature that is missed by some, but no amount of indicators could ever replace proper safe gun handling and actual inspection of the chamber by the user. The sights themselves are drift-adjustable and come in the traditional three-dot pattern, which American shooters are used to—two white dots in the rear and one bright red dot on the front sight. This replaces Steyr’s standard triangle/trapezoid sights, but sticking with a more recognizable sight picture makes for easier training.

- See more at: https://steyrarms.com/news-and-media/C9A-tactical-life-mag/#sthash.y5d9gJcL.dpuf

1 - 20 of 47 Posts