close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stuxnet, DUQU and now Flame....Really Interesting Cyber Warfare Stuff...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, May 28, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

Just read an article about the newest and most sophisticated cyber warfare worm ever found, FLAME.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/28/net-us-cyberwar-flame-idUSBRE84R0E420120528

I watched the 60 minutes piece on STUXNET and it was pure genius how that thing worked. Now there is FLAME, which they say could've been in place for as long as 8 year without detection. No coincidence in that most of the infected computers are in IRAN.
    Even the professionals that found it don't know what it's capable of. They said it took them MONTHS to find out what STUXNET was for.

This kinda stuff just fascinates me. The people that found it say that only a dedicated STATE program could create such a tool. This ain't some pimple faced punk in Slovakia putting this out there.

Among the things that I would like to know is:

How this thing goes undetected for that long in systems that are presumably scanned with the most hi tech software available.

Also, why would it take a STATE to create such a worm and not a few malicious punks in Russia? There's some pretty smart hackers out there, what do Govt. Spooks and employees know that these guys don't?

How would you get it ON the Iranian systems to do its work if you were responsible for it? I don't think it would be an easy task to get access to the computers they would want to infect. Do you?

It's no surprise that the most likely candidates for its creation are the US and Israel.

Just all kinds of interesting stuff about this thing. I wish I understood more about these things. It just BOGGLES my mind that these guys can create something that other security professionals have no clue about for 8 years.

If this stuff is on IRANs systems, what do you think are out there lurking on OUR systems waiting to explode and do their damage?

Scary Stuff for sure.

Nalajr

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

The Stuxnet affair was epic.
    I'm waiting for someone to make a movie.

Last edited: May 28, 2012

3. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Having not studied programming in a number of years - take this as pure novice speculation - but wouldnt it be insteresting if the infecting entity (assuming US) found some way to hard code the virus into OS and software installs that they knew would be used in Iran?

4. Nalapombu

A few more stories out today about it. Just fascinating. The experts that found it told about all the capabilities they think it could do and you gotta wonder who had the task of analyzing all that data on a daily basis that came from that thing. The volume would have to be incredible. They still aren't sure what it was capable of doing though which is almost as incredible as the worm itself.

You know good and well it was either the US or Israel that done it.

Nalajr

5. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Stuxnet was very specifically targeted at the Iranian nuclear facilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

What that wiki article does not mention is that the stuxnet creators had access to a checksum from the original industrial SCADA system programming created by a Belarus team for the Iranian nuclear enrichment facility.
    How they obtained this is unknown, though presumably they bribed one of the programmers who worked on the project in Belarus.

By including a reference to this checksum in the stuxnet code, it searched out and infected only the Iranian facility.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  6. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

You want some warm fuzzies?

If you grant that Flame was in place eight years ago, think how awesome code must be in the here and now. :whistling:

7. Nalapombu

??????

Last edited: May 29, 2012