Sturm, Ruger takes Smith & Wesson to court over its iconic .22-caliber rifle

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 4Rules, Dec 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 4Rules

4Rules

CONCORD — One of the most popular rifles made and sold in the United States — the .22-caliber Ruger 10-22 — is the subject of a high-stakes court battle, with the Connecticut-based manufacturer accusing a rival gunmaker of unlawfully cutting into the market with a lookalike. The issue is detailed in court filings that Sturm, Ruger & Co. initiated in July when it sued the Massachusetts-based Smith & Wesson and its sister company, Thompson/Center Arms. Last week, lawyers for both sides spent three days in U.S. District Court arguing over a preliminary injunction that would block sales of the Thompson T/CR22, possibly during a heavy buying season.
    https://www.unionleader.com/news/business/sturm-ruger-takes-smith-wesson-to-court-over-its-iconic/article_8158e5ce-38f4-5167-aeb0-e85979a2c895.html

byf43 and FullClip like this.
  2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, until money gets involved. I still have my 10/22 from 1972 and it still works fine. "Ruger, anything else is a copy" would make a good marketing slogan I think.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    slamdunc and byf43 like this.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

Interesting, coming from a company that makes copies of the AR15 and 1911. (As does S&W, of course.)

Personally, I'd welcome a new variation of the 10-22, but then I'd also welcome a new version of the Nylon 66.

K. Foster, pgg00 and byf43 like this.
  4. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Didn’t Uncle Gaston successfully sue S&W over the design of the Sigma, and won???

mike from st pe likes this.
  5. fastbolt

fastbolt

Reportedly, the suit necessitated a change in the design of the S&W Sigma trigger, which resulted in the trigger spring being located at the front of the trigger bar, which is still used in the M&P. We were told that no monies were paid over settling the suit.

A Sigma armorer class was included at the end of the week for the 3rd gen pistol armorer class when I attended in the late 90's, but I don't remember any other trivia mentioned about the infringement complaint.

byf43 likes this.
  6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Interesting. I just figured the patents were "out" on the 10/22, as other manufacturers (already) make a close copy, like Magnum Research & Volquartsen. Of course Magnum Research and Volquartsen aren't competing at the same price points.

It looks like the S&W made some improvements over the basic 10/22 (machined receiver, bolt hold open, etc) at a very competitive price.

7. Majestic9C1

Majestic9C1 You're Going to Love my Nuts

Glock sues S&W over design patents... S&W loses

Ruger sues S&W over Ruger 10/22 likeness.. (S&W will probably lose)

S&W.. "I'll F-ing do it again."

byf43 likes this.
  8. railfancwb

railfancwb

AR-15 and 1911 both long ago entered the public domain. Not so the 10-22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. railfancwb

railfancwb

From the newspaper article...

The company Ruger is suing, the Arizona-based American Outdoor Brands Corporation, owns both Smith & Wesson and Thompson/Center Arms.

Hasn’t American Outdoor Brands spun off S&W (probably including Thompson/Center) by distributing its stock to parent company shareholders? Wonder if that was before or after Ruger filed suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

I saw that Ruger has a 2013 patent (14 year expiration date) for their 10-22 breakdown .22 rifle, but did that also extend their old patent for the original standard fixed stock 10-22?

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

You can read the details of the plans and reasons for the split of their businesses in this, if it interests you:
    https://ir.aob.com/news-releases/ne...r-brands-corporation-reports-second-quarter-1