GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Lady called into Rush today, she said she was physician. Call Covid - 19, a PLANNED - DEMIC, mention numbers do not add up.

Apprently she feels many death that are called Covid - 19, are actually other causes. Because of patients history, reason they went to ER, or were hospitalized for treatment. Mention the only way to pint point exact cause of any death is post Mortimer examination.

Covid 19 positive test does not = death from Covid - 19.

·
Registered
19,603 Posts
Latest articles Sturgis caused 250,000 cases and had a 12 Billion dollar price tag in medical costs.

Do the people saying it even believe this?

The US is averaging 40k cases a day so they are saying an entire weeks worth of cases is because of Sturgis. It was about a month ago so 1/4 of all cases in Aug where because of Sturgis.

12Billion dollars. Good grief.
Someone is dumb enough to. They also believe the riots and protests resulted in zero cases. Definitely not responsible for the rise after the Floyd protests.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,080 Posts
https://trendingpolitics.com/nope-t...bjVoQ#utm_source=realjack&utm_medium=facebook

"In total, it appears, as of August 28, 12 days after the rally, a total of 196 positive tests were linked to rally attendance," Lennox writes.

No need to panic. No need to clear out the hospitals in the states where Sturgis attendees traveled from. No need for a mass order of body bags. No need for a run on funeral plots.

But what this does indicate is that Americans need to calm down, relax, and stop slurping up the fear potion pushed by media whores who are still trying to exploit a virus to destroy a president.
196 people tested positive, but how many people actually got sick from the virus, and how many are expected to die?

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
No cases from the riots or protests but hundreds of cases from Sturgis:rolleyes:
Not someplace I would have risked going to however.

I do think the 462,000 attendance estimate is high.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
So 0.00042%.
Isn’t that .0424%? You have to drop 2 decimal places when converting math to percentile. Common mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PEC-Memphis

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
And that’s just the number of positive tests, not the number of folks who actually got sick or died.
If you can believe the test results.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
No...

I don't believe it at all, and I don't think the people saying it do either, but it makes a great headline to demean conservative minded, Trump supporting biker types.
Especially when you consider that so many of that same subset are also low information voters.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I heard a discussion about this today. The number of cases was arrived at by some kind of cell phone tracking -- any case arising near anyone who had been at the rally was assigned cause by the rally, and the $12billion figure was computed by taking the total number of those cases and multiplying by $46,000.

Sounds perfectly scientific and logical to me.
The fact that the paper was not peer reviewed is spin-talk for the paper is worthless, nothing more than made up data and not scientifically accepted methods. When a paper is not peer reviewed they are telling you to use this paper to line the bottom of your parakeets cage as then it will have served a legitimate purpose.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Especially when you consider that so many of that same subset are also low information voters.

Well another factor is that the left, and the media, they hate the SD governor because she keeps talking about archaic concepts like personal responsibility, constitutionality, and freedom. Not to mention that SD had some very low covid numbers.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
View attachment 826774 Chicago tribune headline

No apparent COVID-19 spread from George Floyd protests; Chicago and Cook officials keep wary watch on reopening

I saw that my local rag, the Denver (Com)Post, published their version of this same BS as a headline story on p. 1 recently. This is scientifically impossible regardless of which side of this topic your politics lay. More blatant BS from the left. I didn’t bother to read the article, but figured that probably they were merely copying another article with their own headline on it. And this is what is being passed off as journalism today.

Reactions: catman71

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Well another factor is that the left, and the media, they hate the SD governor because she keeps talking about archaic concepts like personal responsibility, constitutionality, and freedom. Not to mention that SD had some very low covid numbers.
I think that they hate her primarily because she is a Republican. The rest is just frosting on the cake.

Reactions: faceplant

·
Free Full Clip!
17,080 Posts
Here's the article that points out the HUGE gap between the lies and the facts:

No, the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Didn't Spawn 250,000 Coronavirus Cases

Elizabeth Nolan Brown | 9.9.2020 9:44 AM Reason Magazine

Here's what we were told: An August motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota, helped spread COVID-19 to more than a quarter-million Americans, making it the root of about 20 percent of all new coronavirus cases in the U.S. last month. So said a new white paper from the IZA Institute of Labor Economics, at least. And national news outlets ran with it.

"Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was 'superspreading event' that cost public health $12.2 billion," tweeted The Hill.

"The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally held in South Dakota last month may have caused 250,000 new coronavirus cases," said NBC News.

"The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally represents a situation where many of the 'worst-case scenarios' for superspreading occurred simultaneously," the researchers write in the new paper, titled "The Contagion Externality of a Superspreading Event: The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and COVID-19."

Not so fast. Let's take a look at what they actually tracked and what's mere speculation.

According to South Dakota health officials, 124 new cases in the state—including one fatal case—were directly linked to the rally. Overall, COVID-19 cases linked to the Sturgis rally were reported in 11 states as of September 2, to a tune of at least 260 new cases, according to The Washington Post.

There very well may be more cases that have been linked to the early August event, but so far, that's only 260 confirmed cases—about 0.1 percent of the number the IZA paper offers.

To get to the astronomical number of cases allegedly spread because of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, the researchers analyzed "anonymized cellphone data to track the smartphone pings from non-residents and movement of those before and after the event," notes Newsweek. "The study then linked those who attended and traveled back to their home states, and compared changes in coronavirus trends after the rally's conclusion."

Essentially, the researchers assumed that new spikes in cases in areas where people went post-rally must have been caused by those rally attendees, despite there being no particular evidence that this was the case. The paper, which has not been peer-reviewed, failed to account for simultaneous happenings—like schools in South Dakota reopening, among other things—that could have contributed to coronavirus spread in some of the studied areas.

The researchers also assumed a $46,000 price tag for each person infected to calculate the $12.2 billion public health cost of the event—but this figure would only make sense if every person had a severe case requiring hospitalization. The results of the IZA paper "do not align with what we know," South Dakota epidemiologist Joshua Clayton said at a Tuesday news briefing.

The IZA paper "isn't science; it's fiction," Gov. Kristi Noem (R) said.

It's also good election-time propaganda, apparently. Despite the dubious nature of the IZA study, a range of Democratic consultants and cheerleaders have been using it to condemn President Donald Trump.

·
Scottish Member
11,191 Posts
So maybe a massive amount of alcohol in the bloodstream is the antidote

Gin & Tonic (contains quinine, although I doubt that HD riders are the GT types for the most part)

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Here's the article that points out the HUGE gap between the lies and the facts:

No, the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Didn't Spawn 250,000 Coronavirus Cases

Elizabeth Nolan Brown | 9.9.2020 9:44 AM Reason Magazine

Here's what we were told: An August motorcycle rally in Sturgis, South Dakota, helped spread COVID-19 to more than a quarter-million Americans, making it the root of about 20 percent of all new coronavirus cases in the U.S. last month. So said a new white paper from the IZA Institute of Labor Economics, at least. And national news outlets ran with it.

"Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was 'superspreading event' that cost public health $12.2 billion," tweeted The Hill.

"The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally held in South Dakota last month may have caused 250,000 new coronavirus cases," said NBC News.

"The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally represents a situation where many of the 'worst-case scenarios' for superspreading occurred simultaneously," the researchers write in the new paper, titled "The Contagion Externality of a Superspreading Event: The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and COVID-19."

Not so fast. Let's take a look at what they actually tracked and what's mere speculation.

According to South Dakota health officials, 124 new cases in the state—including one fatal case—were directly linked to the rally. Overall, COVID-19 cases linked to the Sturgis rally were reported in 11 states as of September 2, to a tune of at least 260 new cases, according to The Washington Post.

There very well may be more cases that have been linked to the early August event, but so far, that's only 260 confirmed cases—about 0.1 percent of the number the IZA paper offers.

To get to the astronomical number of cases allegedly spread because of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, the researchers analyzed "anonymized cellphone data to track the smartphone pings from non-residents and movement of those before and after the event," notes Newsweek. "The study then linked those who attended and traveled back to their home states, and compared changes in coronavirus trends after the rally's conclusion."

Essentially, the researchers assumed that new spikes in cases in areas where people went post-rally must have been caused by those rally attendees, despite there being no particular evidence that this was the case. The paper, which has not been peer-reviewed, failed to account for simultaneous happenings—like schools in South Dakota reopening, among other things—that could have contributed to coronavirus spread in some of the studied areas.

The researchers also assumed a $46,000 price tag for each person infected to calculate the $12.2 billion public health cost of the event—but this figure would only make sense if every person had a severe case requiring hospitalization. The results of the IZA paper "do not align with what we know," South Dakota epidemiologist Joshua Clayton said at a Tuesday news briefing.

The IZA paper "isn't science; it's fiction," Gov. Kristi Noem (R) said.

It's also good election-time propaganda, apparently. Despite the dubious nature of the IZA study, a range of Democratic consultants and cheerleaders have been using it to condemn President Donald Trump.
Of course they have. It doesn’t really matter how far out there the number actually are, so many idiots will repeat themselves s some hard fact, and many low information voters will swallow this swill as fact.

Reactions: Upgrayedd
21 - 40 of 42 Posts