close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stupid stuff heard at the range

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by njl, Sep 3, 2017.

1. jmorris

jmorris

That's what I married. ;)

On the black powder subject, there are folks that don't know when you are using BP subs powder charges are in grains volume and not how many grains they would weigh on a scale.

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm

2. Willard

Willard Who, me?

I knew a guy who ran a local gun and pawn. One day, we were shooting the breeze about self-defense issues, and he told me that in CQB, you don't want to hold the muzzle too close to your opponent. Because, when you fire, it takes some space between the muzzle and the target to "get up to full speed". He was dead serious.

Also, he thought 10mm should be banned, because it's "too powerful". Of course, there were several 44 Magnums in his display case when he said that.

SMH...

Atomic Punk and Taterhead like this.

3. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Not reloading related, but had a fella damn near ready to go to blows with me once over my Kahr PM9, which he was sure had to be a .380 cuz 'ain't no 9 little like that.' As I demonstrated the same cartridges being taken from my M&P9's mag, fed into the Kahr mag, and shot through the gun, he acted like some fundamental truth had been undone by dark magic and he couldn't process it except through anger and disbelief.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    WeeWilly and Atomic Punk like this.
  4. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Clearly the bullet's rocket nozzles need to have sufficient burn time to get up to speed. It ain't rocket science...

Or is it?

That 10mm thing IS settled rocket science, on the other hand. 10mm rocket nozzles ARE too hot for civilian use.

Willard likes this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

Oh reminds me a favorite. When telling new guys they need check wts for their scale, they say I'm good I can just use an 81mg aspirin??

WeeWilly and Old Buzzard 74 like this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Some people "JUST CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" :)

Old Buzzard 74 and Grabbrass like this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Lucky guy and I mean it!

8. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

One time I was at the range, and it was well below 40 degrees and some guy bench resting a bolt action rifle had a little aquarium air pump that he was using to shoot air down his barrel between shots to keep his barrel from heating up and changing his grouping. :elephant:

:dunno: Another time, I overheard a "handgun instructor" telling his student the importance of breathing in nauseating and exaggerated detail. At one point after telling the poor student to hold his breath, he said not to hold it too long or you'll go into oxygen deprivation. :rofl:

9. A6Gator

A6Gator

Haven't seen a real redhead since I left Ireland...:D