stupid question...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DaYC-Ent, Jan 13, 2004.

1. DaYC-Ent

DaYC-Ent Guest

sorry guys, but i have to ask this. i haven't flown in 9 years and never got my checkride, so i'm very rusty on the OLD regs, and clueless about the new ones, but can you CCW in a private plane? i'm looking to get back into the game very soon, and after i'm checked out, i'll be flying a lot of short business trips in a small twin, about cessna 310ish.
    so can i carry on my own plane? (saying that in my head sounds like a very stupid question) what about rentals?
    thanks!

2. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

Just from guessing, I would say it's fine as long as you stay within the state your permit is good for.

3. DaYC-Ent

DaYC-Ent Guest

stay in the state... don't know about that one. haven't gotten my carry permit yet, but what's the normal rule for inter-state travel with a firearm?

4. Guest

I'm sure it depends on the airport also. You can fly a private plane into Chicago O'hare, but the ramp area would still be considered secure. And even with an in-state CCW, you would be in big trouble if caught. But if the airstrip is in your backyard, well...you get my drift.

5. DaYC-Ent

DaYC-Ent Guest

Ohare i can understand, but what about small, non-controlled fields?
    thanks again guys.

6. Guest

I think you will just have to get a current copy of the FAR's, and/or call the FAA and ask. It may be OK in some situations, and not in others.

The Fed's have control of non-controlled fields also. Durango, CO is non-controlled, but we(airlines) still fly in there. And there are other non-controlled airports that are served by major airlines or commuters. I have my doubts, that in this day and age, you will be allowed to carry in very many, if any, situations.

Good luck trying to get a correct answer from the FAA!

7. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

After browsing the FAR's, I couldn't find anything saying that you can't carry a fire arm for your own protection on your own aircraft. I'm sure once you land somewhere, the local laws would take effect. I highly doubt that you would be allowed to carry a fire arm on the secured part of an airfield. So my guess is you would need to find out if that airfield has a secured area.

Here's a link to a copy of the current FAR's

http://www.risingup.com/fars/

8. DaYC-Ent

DaYC-Ent Guest

much appreciated guys. it's looking like it might be more hassle than it's worth. i've still got a while, so i guess i have plenty of time to research and prepare.
    Thanks again!!

9. CDM

CDM

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the FAR's regarding weapons and the general aviation crowd.

Here in TX, the law says you can't carry concealed into a "secure" area of an airport, which is defined as "an area of an airport terminal building to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property under federal law".

Of course, your milage may vary.

10. George Erdel

George Erdel

There are NO FARs that prohibit you from carryig a pistol or long gun in your own or rented General Aviation Aircraft. The rules DO PREVENT ANYONE except particular LEO's from carrying inside ANY Security Identification Display Area of (SIDA). These SIDA's are at your major airports that have the major scheduled air carriers operating. Many airports have General Aviation and Airlines operating from the same field. In these cases you have a SIDA AREA that is segregated from the general aviation areas of the airport. DON'T Get caught in a SIDA with an unauthorized gun. BAD JUJU!!!

Some local governments may have restrictive rules regarding carrying on their ramp areas but no local rule may override your authority to carry within your own or rented aircraft. Most restrictions to guns on the airport SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDE those persons loading or unloading aircraft within which they came or are leaving.

George Erdel
    Nashville, Tenn.