Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chaplain of CT
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you come to a stop and stay stopped but your front tires are over the stop bar, will a citation still be issued? After I stopped I saw one flash from a camera behind me. I guess these are reviewed by officers before they're mailed out, I'm just curious whether I should expect a ticket for what I guess amounts to a violation of the letter of the law. In 13 years I've never written a ticket for entering an intersection after the light was red unless it was an actual full-on red light violation (proceeding through the intersection). $112.50...curses.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The cameras I am familiar with take 2 pictures, the first is triggered just before the line based on speed the second just after. This is to show your vehicle crossing into the intersection after the light is red and then proceeding through.

They are supposed to be reviewed by an officer before a citation is issued but since the things are more about revenue than safety I have heard a lot of gripes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Chaplain of CT
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I stopped and stayed stopped but I guess it could be a technical violation since front tires were over the stop bar. We came up here for a weekend away and my kid got sick so I ventured out at 3am for medicine. I was lost, driving too slow, and definitely stopped when that ***** of a flashbulb went off behind me...ha.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The two times I have been caught on red-light cameras (both legit, BTW), the photo I got in the mail as confirmation had the speed of the vehicle noted. (Full disclosure, in one photo I was going 55 mph through the red light...:embarassed:)

If the speed was indicated as zero (since you were stopped), I would suggest that you would not get a ticket -- or if you did, you should win an appeal).

·
Registered
443 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I strongly believe they are not there for violations of stopping at a designated spot, they are after people who completely bust the intersection on red. I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I always put my visor down when I go through pass those cameras and through the intersections. No picture no ticket.
We had a guy wearing a monkey mask doing 100 down the freeway in PHX almost daily and they could not ticket him for it, so they sent an "investigator" to his house to fallow him. it is still in court for what I know of.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I always put my visor down when I go through pass those cameras and through the intersections. No picture no ticket.
We had a guy wearing a monkey mask doing 100 down the freeway in PHX almost daily and they could not ticket him for it, so they sent an "investigator" to his house to fallow him. it is still in court for what I know of.
How about a mask of the Kenyan? :whistling:

·
Cranky Member
1,447 Posts
In most states, it's not the driver but the owner of the vehicle that is ticketed.

·
Chaplain of CT
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In most states, it's not the driver but the owner of the vehicle that is ticketed.
Yeah this one took a photo of my car's ass, not me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
In Florida they don't take a picture of your face, only the license plate and they send the ticket to the car's registered owner. If it wasn't the owner driving, too bad so sad.

To the OP: You should be okay. I have had that happen a couple of times in Florida. Mostly when the light changed and I had to hit the brakes hard to stop. Never received a ticket for it.

·
Secret Squirrel
298 Posts
Yup....same as a parking ticket. No need to prove who was driving.
See, I've never understood this. Red light is a moving violation, and also a points violation. How can you assess points if you can't prove that the person who you cited is the one that commit the crime?

Admittedly, this is from my state, where there are no red light cameras, and ALL automated traffic control devices are banned unless being used at a railroad crossing or inside a school zone.

Also, we try not to spend money on products that are defeated with a $2 can of Krylon.

·
Give Me Brass
262 Posts
See, I've never understood this. Red light is a moving violation, and also a points violation. How can you assess points if you can't prove that the person who you cited is the one that commit the crime?

Admittedly, this is from my state, where there are no red light cameras, and ALL automated traffic control devices are banned unless being used at a railroad crossing or inside a school zone.

Also, we try not to spend money on products that are defeated with a $2 can of Krylon.
no points involved, just a big fat fine

·
Registered
410 Posts
I saw a guy the other day with a license plate cover that was perfectly clear when looking at it dead on but makes it impossible to read the plate at an angle. I think it was to keep from getting tickets like that. Pretty neat if you're into running toll's or red lighs with cameras I guess.

·
No Infidels!
8,794 Posts
I saw a guy the other day with a license plate cover that was perfectly clear when looking at it dead on but makes it impossible to read the plate at an angle. I think it was to keep from getting tickets like that. Pretty neat if you're into running toll's or red lighs with cameras I guess.
Pretty not neat when you get stopped and cited for having it, though.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
I think it all depends on what your state laws state. The way I've heard it said, you're technically not crossed into the intersection until your back tires are past the stop line. So if your front tires barely crossed then you should be fine. But the way I've heard it could be wrong, or it could be different in Delaware.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts