close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stupid pet tricks

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by wolfman97, Sep 18, 2004.

1. wolfman97

wolfman97

As the result of another thread --

What entertaining tricks or obedience commands does your dog do?

How did you teach them to do it?

2. 1911lover

1911lover Fiddler1911

Do you really want me to get involved?

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Fetch big sticks out of the water.

I didn't teach her, she taught me. Whenever she brought me a big, wet, muddy stick, I was supposed to throw it as far as I could into whatever lake, pond, creek, raging river, park fountain, or ocean was handy.
    If she jumped in and swam out to it, grabbed it in her teeth, turned around and swam back, climbed out and brought it back to me, I was supposed to accept it and throw it again. And again. Endlessly.

My arm got tired and my hand got muddy. But I had no choice.

4. 1911lover

1911lover Fiddler1911

Over the summer, i tried to teach my grandparents dog to set up coke cans so i could shoot them with my airsoft gun, the most she could do was bak them into a stump to get them up

5. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I've got a small Cairn Terrier that loves to fetch. I got tired of throwing the tennis ball, so I tossed it up in the kid's playouse. The dog climbed the ladder, grabbed the ball, and slid down the slide and brought the ball back to me...

I thought, ok, let's try sokmething different, so I tossed the ball down in the window well. She jumped down the well, which is aobut 4' deep, and then climbed up the retaining wall and brought the ball back to me. Like I said-she really likes to fetch... ;Q

6. ChuteTheMall

That reminds me I used to toss a tennis ball up on the roof, and let it roll off so my dog could either catch it or chase it. Various angles had challenging results, as the ball could suddenly appear falling over the dog's head, or it could roll off at an angle a few feet or yards to either side.

7. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

We used to have a steep hill where we used to live. Our pooch would entertain himself by taking his ball to the top of the hill and dropping it..........then chasing after it. He knew how to amuse himself. ;)

8. Glennbo

Glennbo

I've got a cat that fetches. I kick a rolled up paper ball across the room and he chases it down, brings it back to me, and drops it at my feet. it can go on like that for what seems like days. It's hard to get a cat to do anything so this is pretty amazing. Wait! I'm not getting him to do it, he's getting me! Drat!

9. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Mine can bark and fart at the same time. ;Q

10. ChuteTheMall

11. wolfman97

wolfman97

The second question was: How did you teach him to do that?

12. Flashpoint

Flashpoint NRA Member

My lab does a real good imitation of a rug and he does the "throw me a muddy stick trick".

13. wolfman97

wolfman97

I had a dog like that once. Get him near a lake and he would go nuts for retrieving sticks from the water. We would throw real logs out there, too. We never could find a log big enough that we could throw it but he wouldn't retrieve it. He would do it all day long.

Of course, the dog wound up with muscles like steel and endurance that you wouldn't believe.

He was also extremely obedient in little ways. If you called him, even once, he would drop whatever he was doing - eating, fighting, whatever -- and come immediately.

14. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I think he learned it from my mother-in-law.

;P ;P ;P

15. PatrolMom

PatrolMom

swim
    fetch
    shake hands
    speak on command
    sit
    stay
    roll over
    come when called
    halt
    leave it
    jump up into the truck
    jump down out of the truck
    drop it
    down

Many hours of repetition and we have two very, very well behaved dogs. Ranger, our Rottweiler was invited onto Nellis AFB and has become the MPs/SWAT team mascot. He's got a bandana with a badge with his name on it. He's extremely obedient.

16. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

My dog likes to play with her food if you choose not to play with her when she has her toy.

She'll go get a single piece of dog food, bring it into the den, then push it with her nose or toss it up in the air, fetch it, then eat it.

I have no idea what brought her to doing this. Everytime I see it I think about parents who tell their kids "Don't Play with your Food!"

17. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

18. Spen84107

Spen84107

The fun things I taught my dog are:

Speak, Sing (speak is growling, sing is a howl)
    Balance - Balances a treat on his nose, albeit a very short period of time.
    Dance-(Jumps up to hold hands and dance in a similar fashing to 'slow dancing')
    "Where's your ball?" (goes on a search for something to play fetch with)
    Backseat (this means to get in the back of the truck)
    upstairs
    downstairs

The most difficult was probably "Where's your ball?"

A friend of mine taught his dog to "Get a coke", from both a fridge & a cooler, and to "get one for yourself", which means he gets to break one open and lick it up. I've always wanted to teach him that, but I fear that he would do it on his own. I'd prefer my dog not know how to open the fridge. ;f

19. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

My cat will play fetch with her ball. She figured out that I'll throw it again if she brings it back to me, I didn't set out to teach her this. She gets excited when I ask her where her ball is, so she understands what I'm saying.

20. wolfman97

wolfman97

Speaking of animals understanding language, you will get a lot of argument from "dog experts" on this, but I am convinced they do.

My grandson has a dog that I raised that knew the difference between "ball" and "toy" (and various other things). He also could be told to "go get the ball (or toy) in so-and-so's room". He would go get the appropriate item from the appropriate room even though he had never been taught any of that. He apparently picked it up from just listening to casual conversation. He also makes it clear that he understands lots of other words he has never been taught, as well.

For those who missed it, there was recently a news article about a dog in Germany that actually could use reasoning. The dog was instructed to go get an item from another room. Not so amazing if the dog is taught the name of the item. But they could give this dog an item to retrieve even when the dog had never encountered the item before. The dog was able to reason that the item mentioned was the only item in the room that he didn't know -- therefore, it must be the correct item.

I think people who underrate animal intelligence are making a big mistake.