Stupid newbie question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockGSXR, Apr 2, 2010.

1. GlockGSXR

GlockGSXR 2wheels

Hi everyone, got a silly question here but I am aware there are no stupid questions when it comes to guns so I figured this is the best place to ask it.

Recently purchased a nib G19. It is my first pistol. I have enjoyed shooting since I was a little kid but this is the first pistol I have actually owned. That being said, obviously its the first pistol that I have had to care for and maintain.

Last night while field stripping and cleaning/lubing the gun my silly girlfriend came up behind me and proceeded to pick up the receiver and attempt to pull the trigger (I know, she knows better.) I immediately snatched it away from her but I am now paranoid that she somehow damaged the gun.

I pulled the trigger and dry fired the pistol before field stripping, but I saw in the manual it says not to pull the trigger when the slide is removed, and I also saw something about it somewhere else. I am pretty sure the only way to pull the trigger is if you manually push it forward, which I didn't do, so I am almost positive she didn't do any harm to the gun, since the trigger couldn't actually be pulled in the condition the gun was in, but being a newb I just want to hear someone else tell me that the gun is fine.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this :)

2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

3. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

It's fine. You pull the trigger to field strip and the trigger should be at the rear when you put it back together.

Simplicity at its finest.

4. mo.glocker

mo.glocker

awsome choice of gun,its the flagship of glock,the 9mm bullets are getting quite nice these days-welcome----- to the dark side-jeff:wavey:

5. GlockGSXR

GlockGSXR 2wheels

Thanks a lot guys, I know I was probably being a bit too overboard worrying about that, but it's certainly nice to be told it's ok. And thank you for the welcome. :)

6. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Just push it forward. Congrats

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

The only concern is that if the trigger is pulled forward with the slide removed, the trigger safety is the only thing that locks it there. Pulling the trigger while in that position, puts additional stress on the safety. If you need to release the trigger from the forward position, you should apply forward pressure on the trigger bar to take the tension off of the safety, and then keep forward pressure as you pull the trigger, so that the safety is flush with the trigger and doesn't catch on the trigger guard/frame.

8. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member

it is fine. Congrats :wavey:

9. Gthirty9

Gthirty9

I too recently got my first pistol (Glock 39). You won't believe this but my girlfriend did the same thing. Luckily it was fine.