Stupid Liquor Enforcement.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hamster, Apr 7, 2010.

1. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I'm 32 years old. About a year ago I was in my local Grocery Store's wine department (Cleveland suburbs), with my wife (32 as well) looking for a bottle of wine to buy as a gift for a friend's 65th birthday.

When we went to check out with the wine, I pulled out my cash to pay along with my ID. As I expected the cashier asked to see my ID. I gave it to her cheerfully. Next she pointed at my wife and said, "I need to see hers also."

The following conversation ensued:

Me: I'm the one buying, you have my ID, I'm of age... why would my wife's age be relevant.
    Her: You have to show ID
    Me: I did show you ID, I'm legally buying this bottle of wine.
    Her: Anyone "with" you must show ID.
    Me: I just saw the mother in line ahead of me with her toddler in tow buy wine, I didn't see you ask her for ID.
    Her: Well, you aren't your wife's father are you?

Me: Keep the wine. :upeyes:

We then went to another store where I bought the wine no problems.

Now I understand that it may be the law that anyone with me must be IDed as well, but isn't that just the dumbest thing in the world? I mean if I seriously was buying wine for an underage person, would I be dumb enough to take them with me right into the store to checkout?

IMO, I produced ID and payment, at that point the store's legal responsibility should be over and the legal responsibility WRT minors should now be in my hands.

What say you?

2. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Our liquor stores dont do this but the grocery stores do and it absolutely pisses me off. It's not the law in Texas just the stores way of making my life harder.

I was in Ruidoso NM buying groceries and beer at the grocery store and had my fiancee(of age) and my brother(not of age but doesn't drink beer anyhow) with me. My brother was used to the routine at our local grocery stores so as me and my fiancee headed to the check out he headed for the door.

The check out girl said "I need everyones ID so me and my fiance pulled out the IDs because it was late, we'd just gotten off the road and didn't feel like arguing. The snotty check out girl said "his too" pointing to the door that my brother had walked out of 30 seconds ago. I said "who's? the door" she said "no the guy that's with yall" I sad "Excuse me I don't see anyone over there" She refused to sell untill he came into the store an showed his ID but she still wanted to sell us the groceries. I said a few choice words and we walked out and left $200 worth of beer and groceries on the counter.

The manager of the store followed us out and asked what happened. I told him and he said "well it's our policy" I told him that his checkout wench wanted to card someone who was no longer there and I would never do buisness with them again and would tell everyone I knew about there sh***y service.

I went down to walmart and got what we needed.

I dont understamd these little store clerks trying to act like a hardass about this stuff when they arent even of age themselves. Little man with little power sendrome i guess.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010

3. -gunut-

-gunut-

I hate that ****. One nice thing about living in Czech, I am never ID'ed, EVER! :supergrin:

4. smullen

smullen

That is stupid... I would have done the same thing...

5. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

It's a stupid policy. I think the intent is good behind it but it winds up being a cluster-*******.
    I feel if you're old enough to buy it what difference does it make. The store isn't the ATF or local law enforcement nor can they be held liable for supplying alcohol to minors. They sold to an of age adult. But what are you going to do? Just protest with your wallet.

6. texanredraider

texanredraider

It depends on state laws. If they are required by law to ask, then that's that. If the state agency running alcohol sales (TABC here) sent someone (or a couple) in posing as a buyer and the clerk didn't follow procedure exactly then the cashier and the business would face penalties.

If it's not a legal issue, then it's just the store's own CYA policy. If that's the case and you think it's a hassle, then you did the right thing by taking your business elsewhere. Lost sales are often the only feedback a company gets about its policies.

7. pinmaniac

pinmaniac

I've got one for you. About 15 years ago the company I was working for was having an open house party. My boss sent me down to the liquor store to buy some olives and cocktail onions. I brought my wife (then girlfriend) with me as she was attending the party. At the time I was of legal age but she wasn't. We both went into the liquor store, I picked up one bottle of olives and one bottle of onions. The girl at the register asked for both of our id and refused to sell the olives and onions because my wife was underage. I didn't realize that she should have stayed in the car because we weren't buying liquor. I haven't been to that liquor store since.

8. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Well that's fair if its law.
    But I think in the end, what everyone wants is that just a little common sense to be used.

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

When I was a kid (7, 8yrs old) they'd send me to buy beer, cigarettes, and sometimes a 1/2 flask of white rum.

Times have changed. Not all for the betterer.

10. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    "Hey I'd like to buy this Beef jerky"
    "sorry sir your not of age to buy this beef jerky"
    :rofl:
    Common sense ain't common.

11. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

"I need to see your ID"
    "I'm at least 18"
    "You have at least 21 to buy alcohol"
    "Not when I was 18"
    "I still need to see your ID"
    I hand them my CHL
    "You're not carrying a gun are you?"
    "None of your business - now ring up the damn sale"

12. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

:rofl: :rofl: :yourock:

13. diggy485

diggy485

I know exactly what you mean. Some people feel like they need to be the hall monitors for underage drinking and smoking.. i have had the same thing happen with a cigerette purchase. i was with my daughter (she is 17), i was Id for the smokes (i am 37), but the same thing as above. they wouldn't sell me the cigerettes cause they thought i might be buying them for my daughter (i wasn't).. Even if i were though what buisness is it of theirs. They are selling them to an adult who is of age.. what i do with either the alcohol or smokes is up to me, i assume the liability..another thing that makes me chuckle is the signs that say "if you appear to be under the age 42(or some where around there)be prepared to be ID'ed..sooo if i appear to be 40something then why would there be any doubt that I'm not at least 18?

:brickwall:

14. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

The saddest part of all of this is none of the alcohol age restrictions have ever stopped any underage people from getting alcohol. Ever. Simply an excuse so they can justify liquor licensing. Which we all know is just a way of protecting businesses who contribute to campaigns.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  15. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Some liquor stores in TX have signs that say anyone entering must be 21 or older. Others say the same, with an added "unless accompanied by an adult".

I just don't bring my kids with me to the liquor store.

I sometimes buy beer at Wal Mart when my son is running errands with me. Never been an issue. He's 10 years old.

16. Chad Landry

Which business stands to make a profit from such laws?

The laws are in place because excessive under-age drinking has been a big problem. It was a very big problem when I was a teenager and the drinking age was 18 in my state. It's still a big problem today, but teenage keg parties aren't nearly as abundant as they were when I was a teen.

Everyone had a few 18 year old friends. Not so many 21 year old friends.

17. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Please note, in the original post... I was in the grocery store, not the liquor store. Not that I think it should matter one iota, the principle is the same.

18. badr1

badr1

I had a clerk refuse to sell me a 6pack last week because "he wasn't syre the girl in the truck was old enough" it was my 28y/o wife. He refused to make the sale unless she came in to verify her agew. I left and wont be going back. (and to think I spent nearly $2k there last month on fuel and drinks/smokes. guess not now.

19. Chad Landry

Please note that I was responding to others in this thread.

I agree that the principle is the same.

20. Andy123

Andy123

That would make sense, except for the fact that most of Europe has relaxed laws regarding drinking age, and yet has fewer problems with young drinkers.