Stupid, incompetent VA...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Feb 3, 2010.

1. vart

vart

I went to the VA in December for my annual check up. I had the first EKG done in my life and the VA doc said there was an abnormality.

She said it indicated that I had a heart attack in the past but they couldn't tell how severe or when so they scheduled me for a follow-up stress test that week to confirm the EKG. She also told me that my cholesterol levels were high at 220 total and 171 for the bad stuff.

The stress test was done and I was told that if the results were bad, they would call me.

3 weeks later, no call but I'm really stressed over the whole thing so I call the VA and I can't get my doctor but a nurse practicioner said she could go over the results for me.

She then tells me that yes, I had a heart attack, there was damage to my heart, and I need to see the doc for a follow-up.

So, I have an appointment this month to go in. Since I first got the news, I stopped eating junk food and switched to organic and healthy meals. I stopped smoking for a month, but due to the diet change and then work hours doubling, it was either eat chocolate and get fatter, or continue to be a light smoker.

Yesterday, I'm at work and I have a really stressful call and afterwords I have a pain in my chest, I also notice my left hand fingers are getting tingly, and I'm feeling nauseous.

I go down to the office nurse and due to the VA test results, she has me check in to the local hospital that has the best cardiologists on staff.

They do an EKG and everything else and say everything looks fine, but they want to keep me overnight and keep running blood tests to look for indicators of a cardiac event since the VA had indicated an earlier cardiac event.

They decide to order the EKG and other results from the VA so they can see what they saw that made them freak out.

The cardiologist comes in my room and tells me that he reviewed the VA's tests and that there was nothing to indicate that I had ever had a heart attack, that my heart was healthy, and that my current cholesterol numbers are way down and look good and to just keep eating healthy and start working out.

I'm extremely pissed off at the VA for causing so much stress and anxiety for not only me, but my wife and kids, and my family.

I lost 2 days of pay and had overtime scheduled so I am out around $600 due to the VA filling my head with nonsense.

I am thankful that I was able to get a handle on my cholesterol and start eating healthier, and I have signed up for the local gym, but that the VA could be so freakin' incompetent regarding something so important is inexcusable.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Wowie.

I remember when you posted about the heart attack.

GET A 3RD OPINION.

'Drew

3. jp3975

jp3975

That sucks...sorry you had to deal with such bs.

But on the bright side...at least you seem to be in good health.

4. trifecta

trifecta

Another opinion isn't a bad idea. As for your current episode, it very possibly was anxiety related. The symptoms can be very similar to a cardiac event, especially with the stress of work and worry about your potential cardiac problems. I assume with the latest EKG they did a blood test for specific indicators. Even a mostly normal EKG does not eliminate a cardiac event.

Don't wait for them to confirm a heart attack before changing habits.

5. RenoF250

RenoF250

Competency varies widely in every field including medicine.

6. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic Silver Member

Hopefully, the 2nd doc was right. I am with Drew though. I, personally, would get a 3rd opinion.

7. silentpoet

silentpoet

Yes folks, this is more evidence the government should be in charge of all our healthcare.