GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a bit of a drive. 1am cruising in lite rain/mist @37F. Speed limit 75 I was doing 72+...
Guy pulls up going faster, refuses to pass. Right on the bumper, high beams. (Interstate) little traffic. (Ok guy tired, zombie... some people can’t drive nights)
I move over a bit, slowly slow down. Hold 50mph for while. Cars, semi trucks passing, he is still there. WTF?
I think of nasty things I could do. But kinder, gentler. Speed up to +70 he sets up @20’ back max. Ok enough. I call 911. “No Emergency, yet. Guy tailgating, location, slowed 20mph, speed up, he (or she) won’t pass. Can’t see license plate against bright lights...nobody in area? No problem I will get rid of him, have a good Thanksgiving”
So I speed up to last semi that passed us, pull just ahead (still in hammer lane with tailgater behind to a exit.
I speed up, move to granny lane (not cutting semi off but not as far as normal) hit exit lane to right, hit brakes, downshift, now behind semi. Guy realized he can’t pass semi, make exit, hits his brakes, pulls tp right to hit exit. I blow his doors off in hammer lane.
He drops back nearly a mile, stays there for @10 miles then exits. Guess he didn’t want to play when he was outclassed. I was driving a car that my wife calls her. “No guts, no glory” car.
Dispatch lady seemed confused that I was not angry, scared... driving is fun, relaxing. If you get dangerous with your competing realize most people could out drive road racers with a K car.
Time for bed 863 miles since 1pm, few stops

·
Bitter American
493 Posts
I hate tailgaters with a passion. When a car is so close I can't see their headlights I slow down to half the speed limit. I realize I could slam on the brakes because of a "deer" or something but don't need any insurance woes. Kudos to you for being so calm.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
I understand everything except the call to the State Patrol.

Why or what did you expect the result of the call to be?
Nothing except provide evidence of the aggressive drivers behavior, if something bad went down. The guy who calls the police first is usually considered the good guy.

·
NRA4EVR
11,506 Posts
Nothing except provide evidence of the aggressive drivers behavior, if something bad went down. The guy who calls the police first is usually considered the good guy.
Not at all. We pretty much don’t take into consideration who called. It’s not part of the facts of what happened.

·
Pinky Out
59,182 Posts
Once I got pulled over by the State Patrol.

When he walked up he said, “We got calls saying you were heading this way.”

I felt like I had really achieved something. :supergrin:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
i like the idea of pulling in front of the semi... as long as you are not endangering him, pretty safe position...

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
Tail gaters comments:

First the serious comments:
1. My dad was a champion tailgater. My sister related to me that had 4 accidents in which he was tail gating. So, tailgaters probably never learn.
2. I asked a close friend who was truck driver how to handle driving with a tailgater. He said to ignore them. The tailgaters were always focused on you. Just drive a little further behind the guy in front of you.

Now the humor:
I date a young, wealthy woman worth many millions. Throughout the date, she has been running tests on me. I can barely wait to drop her off. She invites me in. Ok. I really don't want to go in. Oh, I forget to mention that the wealth was inherited and that she was a psychologist - my sister had warned me never to date a psychologist.

So, she hands me a pad of paper and a pen. I am supposed to write what is bothering me. I can't think of anything. She insists and tells me she asks this question of everyone. Ok. I write that people who tailgate me on the freeway . This was because I had seen a horrific accident on the freeway caused by a tailgater.

I think that I failed the test. Drove one block. Pulled over. Took nap. Went home and never called her again.

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
Not at all. We pretty much don’t take into consideration who called. It’s not part of the facts of what happened.
Really, no influence at all?

What percentage of 911 calls are from people that just murdered someone, robbed someone, beat someone, burglarized a house, etc. What percentage of the calls are from the victims of such crimes?

Maybe the police aren't influenced, but juries are.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I used to work with a guy whose wife was a serious tailgater. Drove him nuts. One day while she was driving and he was in the passenger seat, he recorded part of the trip on his cellphone as she drove about 5 feet off the bumper of a semi. When they got home he waited a couple hours and then said to her, "Hey, look at this video." They watched the video and she said what an idiot the driver was, etc. He said, "That's you!". She couldn't believe it. He then proceeded to tell her if that semi went off a cliff they'd be right behind it on the way down.

·
I feel pretty.
3,283 Posts
Op makes no sense. You moved over to exit, then ended up in the passing lane some how? And playing games anywhere near 18 wheelers is a bad idea.

Got a hunch that you did something to cause this. Possibly consider checking the aim of your head lights. I've done the ''let Mr bright lights pass, and follow him with mine'', bit a few times.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,011 Posts
Road-rage cannot happen unless Both agree to play...one side choses not to play, and just drive on...no rage...now, if one party tries to force the non-player off the road...well then it is game on!...and calling 911 is always a good idea...even if some folks think otherwise...regardless of the reason, we taxpayers have a right to call 911 Anytime we believe it is in our best interests to do so...too bad if LE or dispatch disagree...and I warned my Sgts that I better never get a beef from a citizen being shamed for calling, by one of my people...that is our Job to field any and all such calls...and the public has a right to call, unless it is for harrassment purposes

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
So you were doing three under the speed limit in the left lane?

Reactions: WABOOM

·
Sneet
15,551 Posts
Sunday, I was on a motorcycle ride with 4 other bikes on the old LV-LA highway. It's a nice two laner. A huge pack of sportbike squids came flying by us. One cat passed me on the right, on one wheel. And people wonder why motorcyclists get a bad rap.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Road-rage cannot happen unless Both agree to play...one side choses not to play, and just drive on...no rage...now, if one party tries to force the non-player off the road...well then it is game on!...and calling 911 is always a good idea...even if some folks think otherwise...regardless of the reason, we taxpayers have a right to call 911 Anytime we believe it is in our best interests to do so...too bad if LE or dispatch disagree...and I warned my Sgts that I better never get a beef from a citizen being shamed for calling, by one of my people...that is our Job to field any and all such calls...and the public has a right to call, unless it is for harrassment purposes
Thats pretty much my position. I just won't allow myself to get sucked into a game of stupid.

I must admit there are times I have been tempted, but remembering I have a firearm on me always brings me back to earth.
#toomuchtolose.

·
NRA4EVR
11,506 Posts
Really, no influence at all?

What percentage of 911 calls are from people that just murdered someone, robbed someone, beat someone, burglarized a house, etc. What percentage of the calls are from the victims of such crimes?

Maybe the police aren't influenced, but juries are.
Again, not really. I’ve testified at more than 100 jury trials and was bailiff on 70, plus sat in for parts of a hundred more. I haven’t seen anything that would indicate being first to call 911 influences the outcome of a trial.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts