close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stumped! Not enough knowledge.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Tombstone, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Tombstone

Tombstone

I've done some pistol reloadig in the past and have always used Speer bullets. No problems with them and very happy with the product. Lately I've decided i want to load for rifles also, in particular .223 and .308. I've been looking at bullets from a company in Florida called Everglades. I've bought brass from them but now want to try some of their bullets for plinking. Have to admit though, I'm stumped. With no reloading data for their bullets how would I decide what loading data to use. This probably has a somewhat simple answer but I don't know what that would be. Can some of the smart peiple here give me some advice, please?

2. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Curious, have you asked the Everglades people? I suspect they field a lot of questions on load data, despite it not being in their FAQ.

3. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Check their website. When I started reloading most rifle bullets were jacketed. The plated bullets has to be loaded lighter. I am not familiar with that Company.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

The weight and diameter of the bullets can both be confirmed by you, the end user.

Once you're assured that they are sized correctly (diameter), you can use the weight of the bullet as your starting point in referencing laboratory data (loading manuals).

5. DWB57

DWB57

I would use any of the reloading manuals,Speer,hornady,Sierra for data using same cal. weight bullet of course, just start at the low end /starting charge and work your way up to you get a accurate load while watching for over pressure signs.

ithaca_deerslayer and fx77 like this.
  6. fredj338

fredj338

Match the weight & profile as closely as possible to data in the manuals. Start below midpoint in the data & work the load up. Small variations in bearing length isnt causing much worry as long as you arent just plugging them into an already established max load.
    All of us extrapolate at some point. Very few of us use exact components, so when substituting anything into an established max load, back of 5% & work it back up.

7. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder

Pretty much all the rifle bullets at everglades look normal to me. Should be plenty of loading info on very similar style and weight bullets. Since you don't have any previous loads you like, just start at min for load data for very similar bullet and work up from there.

The big problem for most people is when they have a load they like, say 69 Sierra in 223 but then want to try the Nosler 69. If Nosler is pretty smart it will just about be a drop in replacement but you still will have to play it save and test it to verify that. And if you're near max load then you'll have to drop back a bit and work up.

8. Backroad

Backroad

I've ordered from Everglades for several years now, all .223. Have always ordered the 55grn Version 1. Good place to start would be 25grns of Benchmark with very light or no crimp. I've found their service to be good and their prices reasonable.

Al

judgecrater likes this.
  9. Tombstone

Tombstone

Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I expected but really wanted to be sure without just guessing. Glad to hear someone else has used products from Everglades with success.

10. judgecrater

judgecrater

I have ordered several times from them and they are prompt and their bullets shoot very well for me.

11. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I buy Everglades bullets too. They have both Jacketed and plated bullets and I purchase both. Loading is different in that the plated gets loaded at only slightly more velocity than lead (for me) and jacketed gets loaded to potential.

If you can't find the exact weight, it's safe to use the next heavier bullet in the manual and use that data. That said, I agree that you should start no more than midpoint (plated) and move up cautiously.

SBray likes this.
  12. weaselfire

weaselfire

I use Everglades, but only FMJ for .223/5.56. I ended up using the load as I do for Sierra bullets the same weight.

Haven't loaded rifle for a while now, ammo is available again.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

13. RustyFN

RustyFN

Thanks for the tip on everglades bullets I will have to check them out. Hello Uncle Don and Fred, it has been a while.

14. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Rusty,

It's good to see/hear from you. You're right, its been a long time. Hope you are well.

15. SBray

SBray

I've ordered both brass and jacketed bullets from them and was happy with the quality, easy of ordering, and fast delivery. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them in the future!

Steve