Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking for more ideas for our ccw and ccw renewal classes, is there anything you wish was covered that was not?

Sent from my MB860 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Photojournalist
541 Posts
Hello, looking for more ideas for our ccw and ccw renewal classes, is there anything you wish was covered that was not?

As a Kentucky CCDW Instructor-Trainer I have often wished that another level of training be offered (not required) which would consist of the following:

1. Mental Aspects...are you prepared to shoot, and prepared for the aftermath
  2. Understanding how to read situations and scenarios with shoot/don't shoot
  3. Do you REALLY need to use your firearm? How to avoid actually bringing your firearm into play. I realize that this might taint some of those with big man cards, but there are many ways to actually avoid situations and thereby leave your shiny firearm all nicely snuggled in that expensive holster!
  4. And lastly, how about some REAL shooting so that folks understand how bad they REALLY are in general! Here in KY it is 20 rounds at 7 yards...11 of which have to be in ANY portion of the B21 target. In all my years I have only failed one person for not achieving that requirement...and she was scary! :wow:

Good luck building your course.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I just spent a huge amount of times on airlines a couple of days.
During the flight time I read:

"Florida Firearms Laws, Use & Ownership
The authoritative guide that explains Florida & Federal laws on firearms, weapons and self defense issues."
By: John Gutmacher

It is an all encompassing book on firearms laws. It is written by an attorney and former prosecutor. The book is in the libraries of police academies, courts and Supreme Court. The author is also an instructor for the NRA and huge 2nd ammendment proponent.

It should be mandatory reading for all concealed weapon permit holders. The book is written in everyday english and goes over all statutes. It explains virtually all possible scenarios, what your choices and risks are and then explains those scenarios that will make you a test case because there is no case law yet. He explains to the point what will put you in jail and for how long.

He even explains what to say and not to say to police If you are involved in a shooting.

I also learned how stupid and even dangerous advice that some give on this site.

·
BLR
7,414 Posts
I think more time on the range would be very beneficial. When I took my CCW class we had one guy who put half his rounds in the floor (I kid you not).

·
Registered
919 Posts
I went to a gun show ccw class in FL and it was the bare minimum mostly on where you cannot carry and some generic scenario stories. I would have liked more situational awareness talk and more emphasis on tactics to deescalate / walk away / not deploy your weapon. Way to many people were drooling to find trouble and shoot someone. I also think there should be some time spent on the realities of taking someone's life. Show some GSW videos kind of like a shooting scared straight.

Sent from my ME172V using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Excellent thread, and my Fla. firearms book mentioned above is my Bible concerning anything CCW here in Fla. and elsewhere. Wish every state had such a book for everyone that even considers CCW. The law isn't your "friend" as a general rule, some states are a nightmare in CCW situations. Especially if you have to defend against a "privliged" group of people, and you aren't one of that particular bunch.

CCW everywhere you legally can, but prepare for a legal nightmare due to our criminal coddling courts, anti gun people on the bench and in the prosecutor's office.

"Take that as a warning, nothing more."
Christian Czell, Marathon Man

Gray_Rider

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
No mandatory classes here...fill out the parerwork and watch the mail.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Read everything you can get by Mas Ayoob. Combat Handguns runs his CCW articles every month. I have reams of his articles, and some self defense stories are terrifying to read with the CCW defender going to the slammer for what was a straight up self defense shooting.

Look up the Fish shooting sometime, and never forget the travesty of justice Zimmerman had to swim through for defending himself while getting his head smashed on the concrete....

"Think of that as a warning, nothing more."
Christian Czell, Marathon Man

Gray_Rider

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all so much, keep them coming. We do stress the least intrusive path. De-escalate and ot is always best to not be involved but be a good witness instead. We also do scenarios with decision making and all that fun stuff. But it is always nice to have more material also.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have strongly recommended courses in the laws of your state and the use of deadly force and I still do. I have taken three such courses taught by a well known attorney in my state who specializes in defending gun-related cases. He carries a firearm himself so his bias is in our corner. I have also taken an "after you get your CHP" course which was quite good. Plus I took the 2-day NRA course 18 years ago which included two seminars on the second day by a captain in the county sheriff's office and an attorney.

All of these courses and seminars are so well worth it. Getting one's carry permit is just the beginning. Knowing the laws of your state and where you may stand if you ever have to use that sidearm could mean the difference between your continued freedom or a life of hell.

·
3,176 Posts
I've taken the first class, and have had 2 renewal classes now. In each of the first two, our instructor had guest speakers which ranged from Assistant county DA's, and one Judge. How they taught the class, with definitions of laws (simple vs aggravated), and "what if" scenarios on when you should/could shoot was excellent. My second renewal didn't offer those guest speakers, but the classes were taught by former LEO/SWaT members. While complete and informative, it just didn't seem as much so as learning and listening when taught by the ADA and Judge. That being said, I think the classes provided plenty of knowledge and information to obtain a CHL (aka CCW), but I think the more tactical aspects like mental state, poise, avoidance tactics, and engagement tactics should be taught separately in an "armed self defense" class.

When I worked in medical field, we had lots of continuing education units (CEU's) that we had to accumulate in order to keep our certifications/licenses current, and even now the same holds true for many of the certifications I maintain in technology. With the very small number of CHL incidents that could have/should have been avoided recently, maybe an annual or every two year class on tactical training could or should be required?

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
How to shoot guns out of people's hands cowboy style! :tongueout::tongueout:

Seriously, what I learned was good, however the presentation aspect was lacking. I agree with your quest for additional info. to include, however, just putting up words on a powerpoint presentation and reading them doesn't do any more than what I could read myself (not saying you do this).

Good presentation skills and supporting information (i.e. make PPT's interesting with some color/pics, even Youtube videos etc.) allow for a better learning environment and probably better retention.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are many things I wish would be added, but there is one main thing I would add here that would make a lot of people think.

This. What happens if you have to use your firearm in a self defense situation.

·
Standing my ground...
1,390 Posts
Make sure you are up on the current laws, especially the recent changes. My instructor told us several laws that were not correct concerning both open carry and the no. of weapons my state allowed you to carry at one time. I got the correct info from the VCDL.

·
3,176 Posts
Make sure you are up on the current laws, especially the recent changes. My instructor told us several laws that were not correct concerning both open carry and the no. of weapons my state allowed you to carry at one time. I got the correct info from the VCDL.
Good point, especially since the laws change each year, and the classes aren't required each year.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
1. Separate courses for revolver (K-frame) and semi-autos.
2. J-frame snubby course.
3. Course for females who carry in their handbag.
4. Half of the drills take place at 10 feet distance or less.
5. Half of the drills involve night firing with and without a flashlight.
6. Shooting with one hand.
7. A course for senior citizens who can't kneel or drop down into a roll over prone position.
8. A lecture by a homicide detective about the laws and what he would look for in a 'good' shooting.

Just some thoughts.

·
3,176 Posts
1. Separate courses for revolver (K-frame) and semi-autos.
2. J-frame snubby course.
3. Course for females who carry in their handbag.
4. Half of the drills take place at 10 feet distance or less.
5. Half of the drills involve night firing with and without a flashlight.
6. Shooting with one hand.
7. A course for senior citizens who can't kneel or drop down into a roll over prone position.
8. A lecture by a homicide detective about the laws and what he would look for in a 'good' shooting.

Just some thoughts.
Some good thoughts, but I don't think they're really useful for the CHL class itself. The laws don't change for a CHL if you have a jframe or semi; nor do they adjust or change for a purse carrying woman. Everything you mention should be taught where applicable, but again, should probably be in a tactical class after you learn the laws around CHL/CCW first.

·
Registered
15,953 Posts
My CCL class was sufficient. I learned what I need to learn. You really can't stop learning when you carry. Here in NM we have to take a refresher every two years. If you missed something you can ask questions then.

·
Registered
349 Posts
As a Kentucky CCDW Instructor-Trainer I have often wished that another level of training be offered (not required) which would consist of the following:
  2. Understanding how to read situations and scenarios with shoot/don't shoot
  3. Do you REALLY need to use your firearm? How to avoid actually bringing your firearm into play. I realize that this might taint some of those with big man cards, but there are many ways to actually avoid situations and thereby leave your shiny firearm all nicely snuggled in that expensive holster!
  4. And lastly, how about some REAL shooting so that folks understand how bad they REALLY are in general! Here in KY it is 20 rounds at 7 yards...11 of which have to be in ANY portion of the B21 target. In all my years I have only failed one person for not achieving that requirement...and she was scary! :wow:
Good luck building your course.
I agree. 3 is a requirement in Minnesota. Keeping it short, in Minnesota we have to make an attempt to either; flee, comply, or don't knowingly put yourself in the situation to begin with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts