close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stuff I don't eat

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Woof, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. MrsKitty

    MrsKitty

    Messages:
    18,802
    Likes Received:
    31
    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2003
    Location:
    >^..^<
    I was browsing the other night and spotted this...

    I asked Eddie to sticky it for us since Woof started it ;w
     
  2. scowan007

    scowan007 memberrific!!!

    Messages:
    694
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2002
    Location:
    45.8 N, 108.5 W
    different chocolates have different levels of toxicity. Bakers chocolate is the worst, then dark, then milk.


    Grapes and raisins are toxic to pooches' livers. It is a cumulative effect.
     

  3. RottnJP

    RottnJP Lifetime Member

    Messages:
    1,945
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    Location:
    CT
    I have never stressed milk chocolate too much, every one in a while, but I do know a lab that got hold of about three tablespoons of bakers chocolate and passed away.

    The sick thing? It was a chocolate lab named Hershey. I'm serious.

    They just got another one, and named it Toby, short for Toblerone.

    -JP
     
  4. Razoreye

    Razoreye ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

    Messages:
    3,122
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2004
    Location:
    Equinsu Ocha, Equinsu Ocha!!
    Late post but maybe fruitful - I heard you should never give aspirin to a cat. They have some sort of reaction... when my most recent cat was dying I debated about it until I heard otherwise. A reaction would have created greater pain. ;g :(
     
  5. Walter45Auto

    Walter45Auto

    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    I think dogs and cats just like the taste of people's backwash. When I had my cat, she seemed like, unless she got REALLY thirsty, that she'd only drink out of a drinking glass that I had drank from. I could get her a clean glass just like the one I was using, and the same filtered water from the SAME refrigerator spout and she STIIL absolutely HAD TO DRINK OUT OF MY GLASS! I don't know if I'll ever understand that.


    ;g






    ;8 ;I
     
  6. Walter45Auto

    Walter45Auto

    Messages:
    1,545
    Likes Received:
    2
    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    A distant cousin of mine has a pug who likes beer. (Like owner like dog seems to fit real well here.) My cat once got ahold of my plate with a bunch of pizza grease and garlic butter sauce on it, and pretty much licked it clean (I was outside working on something when she got to the plate.). She had diarrhea real bad the next day. and she was vomiting a lot, too.


    ;g






    ;8 ;I
     
  7. GotGlock1917

    GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

    Messages:
    6,713
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2004
    Location:
    Central Arkansas
    I'm not going to argue with you because I know it is a fact. My dogs have never tasted chocolate because I do not want them to know what they are missing.

    Now I will add this. My sister-in-law had a toy poodle(Coco) that ate Hershey Kisses every single day for 17 years!

    I suspect Coco would have made it to 60 or 70 without the chocolate. ;)

    John
     
  8. mlcs

    mlcs

    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2006
    Location:
    pittsburgh
    i think ,correct me if im wrong that tylenol (acetomenifen) is bad for cats not asprin.
     
  9. GotGlock1917

    GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

    Messages:
    6,713
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2004
    Location:
    Central Arkansas
    Tylenol is a definite no-no for felines. I have heard both yes and no for aspirin.

    Some say Tylenol is ok for dogs but I won't use it. I keep a small bottle of children's aspirin just in case.

    LINK

    Excerpt:

    Acetaminophen is the main ingredient of Tylenol and several other non-aspirin pain relievers. It possesses both analgesic and antipyretic effects. The feline toxic dosage is 50-100 mg/kg. One regular-strength tablet (325 mg) may be toxic to cats, and a second could be lethal. One "extra strength" (500 mg) tablet can result in toxicosis. The most common abnormalities observed upon physical examination of cats are: increased respiratory rate, pale-muddy mucous membranes, hypothermia, and tachycardia. Other signs are CNS depression, anorexia, vomiting, swollen face and paws, salivation, diarrhea, coma and death.
     
  10. cznut

    cznut

    Messages:
    76
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    Location:
    great lake state
    This would be our golden retriever Katys basic party package.:supergrin: [​IMG]
     
  11. PaulMichael

    PaulMichael

    Messages:
    35
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 21, 2006

    I second that. My dogs eat 95% raw. Raw beef, raw chicken, raw turkey, raw organs, raw eggs, etc. They love cheese and won't eat the pasteurized stuff. They'll lick clean a bowl of raw milk.
     
  12. b97m

    b97m

    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    Location:
    Florida
    Crap. Yesterday I shot two pears out of my potatoe gun and fed the outer part to my dobe. Do you think its going to hurt him?
     
  13. Ranger.357

    Ranger.357

    Messages:
    787
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    Location:
    WA State
    We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

    The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

    Toxic Levels

    The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

    On average,
    Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
    Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

    Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
    1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
    1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

    So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

    Clinical Signs

    Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

    Hyper excitability
    Hyper irritability
    Increased heart rate
    Restlessness
    Increased urination
    Muscle tremors
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea

    Treatment

    There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

    Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

    If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

    http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/DOGS/chocolatetoxic.HTM
     
  14. certifiedfunds

    certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

    Messages:
    62,281
    Likes Received:
    15,889
    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    My 10 lb doxie once at the following (on different occasions):

    1. A whole bowl of hershey's kisses, including foil (estimated 20-30)
    2. A 3 piece chicken dinner from Popeyes, bones, fries, all
    3. A whole used filter of coffee grounds
    4. Mountain of fudge (estimated at about 2 pounds)
    5. Nicorette gum (2-3 pieces)
    6. Raisins my kid threw down
    7. Grapes my kid threw down

    I'm sure there's more............