Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some time before it starts, and I have time outside of my current job. Instead of wasting it, I'd like to get a head start.

Because laws vary from location, what do you think I could study online that isn't state/county specific..

(I realize it's probably overkill but like I said, I have time so..)

Thanks,
Rob

·
Cover is Code 3
4,267 Posts
Most municipal laws are based on state laws, so a solid base on knowledge of state law will give you an advantage, and is useful wherever you may go in the state.

I'd grab a state code book and look over it. In Ohio that would be the ORC, dunno in Maryland (?). Focus on the important stuff that you would deal with regularly - I personally wouldn't focus on the ecclectic ****.

Some police academies will have their SPO available online, if it is a state agency it should be public record, you could get that and begin reviewing information specific to your state certification.

Constitutional law is pretty consistent all across the US, so familiarizing yourself with that is a good idea, too.

·
Cover is Code 3
4,267 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
The biggest thing you need to train before the academy is your body. the better shape you're in, the more tolerable academy life is going to be. Academically speaking, constitutional law, search and seizure, and your state code are all good things to familiarize yourself with.

·
Banned
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Send me a patch when you graduate and we'll call it even!
Meefzah, will do:) I'm trying to start a collection myself.

The biggest thing you need to train before the academy is your body. the better shape you're in, the more tolerable academy life is going to be. Academically speaking, constitutional law, search and seizure, and your state code are all good things to familiarize yourself with.
Hey Jon,
How are things with you? I definitely need to work on my running. I'm doing okay with the lifting and body exercises but man I need to get back into running. I always seem to find an excuse.

·
Keystone Cop
2,145 Posts
Get into a running and exercise routine right away.

You'll be glad for all the extra conditioning that you did prior to the academy on those days when you think that a particularly rough PT session is over only to find out that the entire class now has to do punishment push-ups because your moronic classmate's cell phone rang during Patrol Procedures class the day before. :supergrin:

·
Banned
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get into a running and exercise routine right away.

You'll be glad for all the extra conditioning that you did prior to the academy on those days when you think that a particularly rough PT session is over only to find out that the entire class now has to do punishment push-ups because your moronic classmate's cell phone rang during Patrol Procedures class the day before. :supergrin:
:wow: For the love of God, why would anyone have their cell phone on during class.

Thanks for the heads up:wavey:

·
Cover is Code 3
4,267 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Having been through both a full-time Sheriff's Academy and a full-time Police Academy, my only regret was not being as prepared physically as I could have been. Do double the push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups than what is a minimum qualifying score. Run double the miles. Bookwise, everything you need to know will be presented to you. You could go in as a blank slate and still pass the tests when the time comes. However, you need to be in shape physically. Take all your idle time and spend it doing sit ups, pull ups, push ups and running.

·
Keystone Cop
2,145 Posts
:wow: For the love of God, why would anyone have their cell phone on during class.
That plus the fact that we weren't allowed to have cell phones anywhere on academy grounds except in our lockers. We did ALOT of push-ups for that one. :steamed:

There was a special punishment of him also; he had to carry around a cinder block that had a cell phone painted on the side of it for the rest of the day. To show class unity, we ended up smashing the block into 50 pieces, one piece for every cadet in the class to carry around.

·
Registered
784 Posts
As everyone else has said, running and pushups are what is needed most.

As far as academics are concerned start looking up the state statutes for common crimes such as assault, disorderly conduct, dui, domestic violence, theft, burglary, trespassing etc. They will teach you everything you need to know, but getting a head start doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
We used to be quized on our 10-codes while standing in formation during uniform inspections. Memorizing your radio codes couldnt hurt.

Push ups & running every day before the academy wouldnt hurt.

Brushing up on constitutional law and understanding your basic state & local laws would definitely help.

Basically if you arent mentally and physically ready for the academy there isnt really anything you can do. Either you can cut it or you cant at this point.

·
Big Dummy
393 Posts
We used to be quized on our 10-codes while standing in formation during uniform inspections. Memorizing your radio codes couldnt hurt.

Push ups & running every day before the academy wouldnt hurt.

Brushing up on constitutional law and understanding your basic state & local laws would definitely help.

Basically if you arent mentally and physically ready for the academy there isnt really anything you can do. Either you can cut it or you cant at this point.
Most agencies supposedly ditched 10 codes and went to plain language. We "sort of" did, although all our old timers still use the 10 codes, so we still have to know them.

Do a lot of running. Buy good running shoes if you don't already have them.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Can you write clearly, concisely, and accurately?

·
Cover is Code 3
4,267 Posts

·
NRA4EVR
11,697 Posts
PT your butt off. Review the basics of English grammar and composition. Start spit-shining your boots before the academy starts. Get yourself on a disciplined personal schedule, with a firm bedtime and wakeup time, and set times for things throughout the day. Stick to it with no variation so you are used to living on a schedule. If you are a cell phone addict, start to put it away for awhile, and increase the amount of time. (There is no reason why a recruit needs his cell during the day at the academy, except maybe at lunchtime.) Eat healthy food, which will not only help you stay in good physical condition, but will also help your mental and emotional states.

·
NRA4EVR
11,697 Posts
Once at the academy, make sure you have two of everything: At least two shirts (if they allow short sleeves, then two short sleeves and two long sleeves), at least two pair of pants, two ties, two tie clips, two nametags, two spare shoelaces, a spare pair of shoes/boots, spare PT clothing, spare pens and pencils, etc. Keep a razor and other grooming aids in your locker. Get a clothing bag to carry your uniforms from home while hanging, but covered. Be ready to spend some money on dry cleaning, because that is the best way to keep your uniforms looking sharp. Make sure your car is 100% in compliance with your state's vehicle laws. Academies have been known to inspect recruits' vehicles and ban them from campus until they are in compliance. If you are self-sponsoring, make sure your pistol is in compliance with academy regulations. It wouldn't be bad to take it to a gunsmith (factory armorer, preferably) and have an annual done on it. If you are supplying your own ammo, make sure you have at least 500 more rounds than is required. Explain to your family and friends that for five or six months, the academy is going to come first, and you will have pretty much no free time during the week and very little on the weekends.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts