close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Study in "Psychological Science"

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by greentriple, Apr 10, 2012.

1. greentriple

greentriple

A study published in "Psychological Science" showed that children who scored low on intelligence tests gravitate to socially conservative political views in adulthood. It's believed they do so because conservative ideologies stress "structure and order" that makes it easier to understand a complicated world.

Further research has also linked conservative ideologies to "low-effort" thinking.

The study was lead by, University of Arkansas psychologist Dr. Scott Eidelman.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Hasn't that study already been debunked? Unless this is a new one.

Also, where are your links to the study?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Ruckmanite

So conservatives are stupid?

That's all we need on this forum is another Obama supporter.

:steamed:

4. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Huh! This study is obviously not objective - more than likely a progressive group behind it. No study is needed to realize that the smartest persons have a libertarian philosophy.

So, there!

:cool:

5. The Maggy

The Maggy

The article doesn't say what you think it says.

6. greentriple

greentriple

It's a gun forum, and your response might be evidence the study is correct. Lazy thinking = post brings study to light thus poster must support Obama. And there is only room on glock talk for conservative ideology.

7. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I have a dream! :wavey:

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Oddly enough, I have always scored far into the top 1% (and, as a result, have been tested many times, with many tests) and I'm far to the right of anybody stupid enough to put "science" and "psychology" together in the same magazine title.

I'm also smart enough to notice a consistent leaning to the left in a lot of print media and in the field of psychology - put those together and you get an untrustworthy source that will usually find fault with the right.

9. windplex

windplex

well lets see;

liberal political planks fit on bumper stickers.

conservative planks cannot.

which is simpler? which is more complex?

how intelligent are the masses of dems on the dole? is this professor suggesting that we who have jobs and pay for our selves are less intelligent than those who live off the dole. well now that i think about it that might be true -- afterall im working and they are sitting on their behinds and getting paid for it;):rofl:

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'll give you the lower effort thinking - if you've ever seen a liberal try to support their economic or social agendas with a rational argument, you'd know how much effort that takes (and they still fail).

http://psyc.uark.edu/4070.php

But hey, maybe I'm wrong thinking that Eidelman did a BS unbreliable and biased study - what I expect from people who think psychology is science.

Then again, maybe I'm right:

You'll enjoy the part about how they gathered data by picking drinkers from a single bar and getting people to complete a survey in exchange ofr having somebody tell them their blood alcohol level. Or maybe the one that used a 2/3 femal group of psychology students and the fair and balanced population?

read Eidelman's nonsense here.

11. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

Anecdotal evidence does show that conservatives tend to eschew some science and academia--but it is simplistic to imply that conservatives do so because they are stupid. There are a number of factors, not least because liberalism has completely saturated academia, and giant blunders like the "climate change crisis" and proof of overblown claims have made anything they say suspect.

It is a vicious cycle through which conservatives avoid academia because of this mistrust, and liberals become more firmly entrenched. Conservatives instead gravitate toward think tanks, which the left lampoons as being "unscientific."

12. greentriple

greentriple

Really? Who in the top 1% would be stupid enough to announce that as a defense to conservative intelligence. Clearly a brilliant person, even a conservative one, would know its the exception that makes the rule. Further it would seem that a person with such a ridiculously high level of intelligence would understand that a stupid progressive could not possibly understand the the analysis.

Truly a battle of wits with a Princess Bride Sicilian - inconceivable.

13. greentriple

greentriple

The study did not find conservatives were stupid but that stupid people gravitated to conservatism. Clearly, or maybe not so clearly, all conservatives are not stupid they just tend to be successfully with stupid ideologies b/c of their audience. In fact I believe this shows the brilliance of some conservative leaders, they know they need not use complex explanations to sell their agenda, just attach simple notions of patriotism v. Anti- american, stir up fear and convince their sheep that there is always a wolf waiting outside the corral.

14. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

So then what does the left use?

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So...not real close to the top, huh?

16. brickboy240

brickboy240

If the lefties are so damned smart....why can't they fix the economy?

Why is it that the cities in America that have been run by leftists for decades are the ones with the most crime, poverty and decay? the cities with the most debt and the ones that businesses and people are leaving in droves? Cities like Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago and DC?

If the lefties are so smart, why are the public education systems that they have run for decades producing kids that can barely read and lower and lower test scores? These same systems are also mired in debt and accounting nightmares.

Sorry...I am not buying that nonsense. The left has long tried to link conservative thought to low intelligence but the real world examples don't really pan out...do they?

- brickboy240

17. Stubudd

Stubudd

:rofl:

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It's called Glock Talk - what there is no room for is anti-gun trolls from Democratic Underground.

19. greentriple

greentriple

Fortunately I'm a 2nd Amendment supporter and proud American gun owner, who is also a progressive thinker.

20. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

As opposed to what?