Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Study Finds Smokers Not as Smart as Non-Smokers

Study Finds Smokers Not as Smart as Non-Smokers

1. Interesting. Maybe a little obvious, but still interesting...:supergrin:

Study: Smokers Have Lower IQs Than Non-Smokers

NEW YORK — Cigarette smokers have lower IQs than non-smokers, and the more a person smokes, the lower their IQ, a study in over 20,000 Israeli military recruits suggests.

Young men who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day or more had IQ scores 7.5 points lower than non-smokers, Dr. Mark Weiser of Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer and his colleagues found.

"Adolescents with poorer IQ scores might be targeted for programs designed to prevent smoking," they conclude in the journal Addiction.

While there is evidence for a link between smoking and lower IQ, many studies have relied on intelligence tests given in childhood, and have also included people with mental and behavioral problems, who are both more likely to smoke and more likely to have low IQs, Weiser and his team note in their report.

To better understand the smoking-IQ relationship, the researchers looked at 20,211 18-year-old men recruited into the Israeli military. The group did not include anyone with major mental health problems, because these individuals are disqualified from military service.

According to the investigators, 28 percent of the study participants smoked at least one cigarette a day, around 3 percent said they were ex-smokers, and 68 percent had never smoked.

The smokers had significantly lower intelligence test scores than non-smokers, and this remained true even after the researchers accounted for socioeconomic status as measured by how many years of formal education a recruit's father had completed.

The average IQ for non-smokers was about 101, while it was 94 for men who had started smoking before entering the military. IQ steadily dropped as the number of cigarettes smoked increased, from 98 for people who smoked one to five cigarettes daily to 90 for those who smoked more than a pack a day. IQ scores from 84 to 116 are considered to indicate average intelligence.

Recruits aren't allowed to smoke while intelligence tests are administered, the researchers note, so it's possible that withdrawal symptoms might affect smokers' scores. To address this issue, they also looked at IQ scores for men who were non-smokers when they were 18 but started smoking during their military service. These men also scored lower than never-smokers (97 points, on average), "indicating that nicotine withdrawal was probably not the cause of the difference," the researchers say.

The researchers also compared IQs for 70 pairs of brothers in the group in which one brother smoked and the other did not. Again, average IQs for the non-smoking sibling were higher than for the smokers.

The findings suggest that lower IQ individuals are more likely to choose to smoke, rather than that smoking makes people less intelligent, Weiser and his team conclude.

SOURCE: Addiction, February 2010.

2. Well, of course we're stupid. We started smoking, didn't we? :freak:

3. I know a girl who did every drug you could think of , yet got A's in all her classes through high school and went is currently attending Yale. Also my aunt who lives in NY is one of the was a teacher for over 30 years and smoking helps her think, btw her lungs look like the lungs of a non smoker. So personally I don't believe it.

4. Denial. Perhaps not just a river in Egypt? :whistling:

5. Oh yeah!? Well, um, uhh, um, your mom wears combat boots! Take that!

(I showed him!)

6. just because a person shows cognitive disonance...does not mean their IQ is lower...they could have also tested smokers that were not going through withdraw to get a better "picture" but did not want to dispute their original findings....

I have a high IQ

I smoked

I quit not because of medical issues but to use the money for ammo.... :upeyes:

and a high IQ does not = high inteligence

7. duh..

8. About as accurate as any other "study."

I know of a study that proved conclusively that people who believe in studies have a lower IQ than those that are skeptical of them.

ML

9. Duh....

10. Statistically independent I'd have to say. Smoking don't make you dumberer, but idjits would probably tend to smoke more.

11. Well I was going to believe the story, but with those 2 examples, I now call this whole study junk science.

BTW: I was an avid smoker for years.

12. Awwwwwww dang!!! I just can't catch a break...:crying:

13. Makes sense to me. My brother smokes and I don't, and I'm way smarter than that dumbass.

14. This is racist - Barack smokes

15. Of course when you think smokers spend like $6.00 a pack to suck poison into their lungs, turn their teeth brown and make their breath stink:dunno:

16. Yup itz true. i got way more smartr aftar i qwit smokineng cigarets.

17. Cite please. :tongueout:

18. Absolute genius. So ask the Yale girl and your Aunt where we should stand on Religion, MMGW, and cures for cancer and Parkinsons since the study of those two = conclusive evidence.

Smoke much?

19. I didn't start smoking thinking it would make me smarter....just thought it would make me look cooler!:smoking::supergrin:

20. PURE BS

stupidity has no rules.

21. Not sure what you mean. IQ is designed to assess 'intelligence' - whatever that word means to the designers of the test. High IQ doesn't mean you always make good decisions, or will be successful in any particular field, etc. But it does appear to mean something.

22. Some of the dumbest people I know are smokers.:supergrin:

23. eq>iq

24. While I have known stupid people who smoke I also have worked with Avionics Techs and Engineers who smoke at different times in my career. This "Study" has the stench of Health Nazi driven agenda on it. I am not a smoker but holier than thou Rob Reiner politics irritate me. I wonder if fat know it alls also have lower IQs and that is why the fried chicken and twinkie diet gets them overweight?

25. Agreed.

This is one of those 'NS, Dick Tracy' moments, if ever.

I have watched the smokers for some time now and one thing they all seem to have in common is a predilection for the lower kinds of goals and accomplishments.

26. And look at how dumb he is!

27. Case closed. Discussion over. :cool:

28. Well if you know of two exceptions, that is enough evidence for me. :rofl:

There are going to be exceptions to these studies because they average out the data. They are not saying that all smokers are dumber than all non-smokers. They are just stating that on average, the smokers tend to have a lower IQ than non-smokers.

Look at all the fat ugly people who go to buffets, they are often smokers. They are also not the brightest bulbs by any means. They shop at Wal-Mart, they smoke, they eat at buffets, they are poorly educated, they watch Fox News, they love Dancing with the Stars and CSI Miami, in short, they are morons.

29. <----has found that a lot of dope smokers aren't as smart as they thought they were. :tbo:

30. Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. :tongueout:

31. I've known one PhD that smoked, but most of the smokers I've known were uneducated low achievers (stupid poor people.) it's not that smoking makes you stupid, it's just that stupid people are more likely to smoke.

32. Lol stop citing exceptions, people. It's just statistics, not proof that smoking causes stupidity or that it has anything to do with it at all other than a pattern of correlation:tongueout:. Someone could find in a study that men with green shirts on have a better chance of getting hit with a batmobile paper mâché'd out of winning lottery tickets, even if it's true it doesn't mean that the green shirt caused it ;)

it seems like it's a study on a very limited demographic. I'd be interested in a similar study through different occupations, sexes, age groups as well as nationalities.

33. It could be just a specific example of shortened time horizons discounting long-term costs for short-term benefits. I wonder if IQ also measures time horizons.

34. :rofl: :uglylol: :number1:

35. Exactly what I was thinking.

36. Got a light?

37. I don't smoke, but I hear this guy was a real idiot.

38. That depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you primarily deal with people, then yes. If your goal is designing spacecraft, programming computers, or fixing cars- not so much.

39. Game, set, "match".

40. Smoker or no, I bet he understood statistics.

41. now if you were to compare IQ's for what is smoked, i am sure that you would find a radical change in the data set.

42. I used to know this guy who smoked pot every day and was absolutely BRILLIANT! Pot smokers must be much smarter than tobacco smokers.....:tongueout:

43. A room full of drunks usually is a room full of geniuses who sing brilliantly. :supergrin:

44. :rofl::rofl:

45. [​IMG]

46. This :rofl:

47. No surprise to hear that non-smokers have higher IQs overall than smokers.
    Also no surprise that there are a lot of posts on here disputing this by saying, "Well, I've got a cousin who smokes and he is really smart........."

48. chief said it well, so I'm just going to quote him.

We could all find examples of smart smokers, and stupid non-smokers, but the statistics the article cites are probably pretty accurate- based on my own observations.

49. :rofl:

:rofl: