Study Finds Smokers Not as Smart as Non-Smokers

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by doubletap1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. doubletap1

doubletap1

Interesting. Maybe a little obvious, but still interesting...:supergrin:

Study: Smokers Have Lower IQs Than Non-Smokers

NEW YORK — Cigarette smokers have lower IQs than non-smokers, and the more a person smokes, the lower their IQ, a study in over 20,000 Israeli military recruits suggests.

Young men who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day or more had IQ scores 7.5 points lower than non-smokers, Dr. Mark Weiser of Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer and his colleagues found.

"Adolescents with poorer IQ scores might be targeted for programs designed to prevent smoking," they conclude in the journal Addiction.

While there is evidence for a link between smoking and lower IQ, many studies have relied on intelligence tests given in childhood, and have also included people with mental and behavioral problems, who are both more likely to smoke and more likely to have low IQs, Weiser and his team note in their report.

To better understand the smoking-IQ relationship, the researchers looked at 20,211 18-year-old men recruited into the Israeli military. The group did not include anyone with major mental health problems, because these individuals are disqualified from military service.

According to the investigators, 28 percent of the study participants smoked at least one cigarette a day, around 3 percent said they were ex-smokers, and 68 percent had never smoked.

The smokers had significantly lower intelligence test scores than non-smokers, and this remained true even after the researchers accounted for socioeconomic status as measured by how many years of formal education a recruit's father had completed.

The average IQ for non-smokers was about 101, while it was 94 for men who had started smoking before entering the military. IQ steadily dropped as the number of cigarettes smoked increased, from 98 for people who smoked one to five cigarettes daily to 90 for those who smoked more than a pack a day. IQ scores from 84 to 116 are considered to indicate average intelligence.

Recruits aren't allowed to smoke while intelligence tests are administered, the researchers note, so it's possible that withdrawal symptoms might affect smokers' scores. To address this issue, they also looked at IQ scores for men who were non-smokers when they were 18 but started smoking during their military service. These men also scored lower than never-smokers (97 points, on average), "indicating that nicotine withdrawal was probably not the cause of the difference," the researchers say.

The researchers also compared IQs for 70 pairs of brothers in the group in which one brother smoked and the other did not. Again, average IQs for the non-smoking sibling were higher than for the smokers.

The findings suggest that lower IQ individuals are more likely to choose to smoke, rather than that smoking makes people less intelligent, Weiser and his team conclude.

SOURCE: Addiction, February 2010.

2. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

Well, of course we're stupid. We started smoking, didn't we? :freak:

3. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I know a girl who did every drug you could think of , yet got A's in all her classes through high school and went is currently attending Yale. Also my aunt who lives in NY is one of the was a teacher for over 30 years and smoking helps her think, btw her lungs look like the lungs of a non smoker. So personally I don't believe it.

4. doubletap1

doubletap1

Denial. Perhaps not just a river in Egypt? :whistling:

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Oh yeah!? Well, um, uhh, um, your mom wears combat boots! Take that!

(I showed him!)

6. Burn

Burn Taco Hack

just because a person shows cognitive disonance...does not mean their IQ is lower...they could have also tested smokers that were not going through withdraw to get a better "picture" but did not want to dispute their original findings....

I have a high IQ

I smoked

I quit not because of medical issues but to use the money for ammo.... :upeyes:

and a high IQ does not = high inteligence

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

8. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

About as accurate as any other "study."

I know of a study that proved conclusively that people who believe in studies have a lower IQ than those that are skeptical of them.

ML

9. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

10. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

Statistically independent I'd have to say. Smoking don't make you dumberer, but idjits would probably tend to smoke more.

11. 2bgop

2bgop

Well I was going to believe the story, but with those 2 examples, I now call this whole study junk science.

BTW: I was an avid smoker for years.

12. Steve0853

Steve0853

Awwwwwww dang!!! I just can't catch a break...:crying:

13. Smashy

Smashy

Makes sense to me. My brother smokes and I don't, and I'm way smarter than that dumbass.

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

This is racist - Barack smokes

15. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Of course when you think smokers spend like $6.00 a pack to suck poison into their lungs, turn their teeth brown and make their breath stink:dunno:

16. Max5

Max5

Yup itz true. i got way more smartr aftar i qwit smokineng cigarets.

17. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Cite please. :tongueout:

18. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Absolute genius. So ask the Yale girl and your Aunt where we should stand on Religion, MMGW, and cures for cancer and Parkinsons since the study of those two = conclusive evidence.

Smoke much?

19. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I didn't start smoking thinking it would make me smarter....just thought it would make me look cooler!:smoking::supergrin:

20. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

PURE BS

stupidity has no rules.