close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

student held after AK-47 found in car

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Jon_R, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jon_R

Jon_R

Obviously the kid screwed up and is going to get punished but I love some of the items in the article.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article...oa+High+student+held+after+AK-47+found+in+car

Cocoa High student held after AK-47 found in car
    BY J.D. GALLOP • FLORIDA TODAY • January 6, 2010

A Cocoa High School senior is in custody after a search for drugs on campus turned up an AK-47 assault rifle in the trunk of his car.

The student was taken to the Cocoa Police Department where he is being questioned and where officers are trying to determine whom the weapon belongs to. The 1,200-student campus was quickly placed on lockdown from 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. as a precaution, officials said.

“We have a 17-year-old male in custody but he hasn't been charged yet,” said Barbara Matthews, a spokeswoman with the Cocoa Police Department.

“The AK-47 was found in the trunk of his car. In the passenger part of his car we found two high capacity magazines and they were both loaded with high velocity rounds.”

It was not immediately known why the student brought the assault rifle to school or whether anyone else knew he had it, officials said.

Police said school officials received a tip about the student Tuesday, saying he had drugs on him. School officials spotted the student on campus today and then carried out a routine search, “as is their right,” Matthews said.

“When they opened the car, you could smell the marijuana. That’s when they found the weapon,” Matthews said.

The AK-47 is known as a one of the most effective assault rifles on the market and has become a favorite of weapons aficionados along with a number of criminal elements, officials point out.

“They’re still fingerprinting the weapon and running serial numbers,” Matthews said.

School officials praised the response of police and administrators for following up on the tip.

“Safety is always our priority,” said Christine Davis, spokeswoman for the school district.

“That’s why we’re pleased with the administrators and police and how they reacted as they handled this situation.”

The student now faces expulsion

2. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

i wonder what the kids story is.

3. jordanmills

jordanmills

"high velocity rounds"

4. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

I got a chuckle out of that one, too. I'm surprised it didn't say, "...high velocity, cop-killer rounds."

5. jordanmills

jordanmills

Along with "fully automatic" "machine gun" and "dead babies"...

6. matthewa5

matthewa5

"The AK-47 is known as a one of the most effective assault rifles on the market and has become a favorite of weapons aficionados along with a number of criminal elements"

Wont somebody please think of the children!!?!

7. matthewa5

matthewa5

Is that you in your avatar? You sorta look like that guy Andrew Bernard from The Office.

8. Booker

Booker

I was told he took the AK-47 to school for Show-n-Tell!

9. Enron Exec

Enron Exec

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

OMG, they's violatin his Rahts!

Back when I wuz in school we used ta have tommy guns and BAR's in our cars at school cuz we wuz goin bird huntin afta skool.

:rofl::rofl:

11. jordanmills

jordanmills

Yeah that's me, pic taken last night. I don't really watch the teevee, who is that?

12. turretg

turretg

You forgot to include a tobacco cigarette and a picture of a Conservative.

13. Jon_R

Jon_R

My complete speculation is the kids is a drug dealer and his competition ratted him out hoping he had drugs on him or in his car. The rifle was just a bonus. More market share for others.

If the rifle was stolen hopefully it will get returned to the original owner.

14. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

My guess is that the whole thing is being blown out of proportion. I believe that skunk ape season just started down there and everyone knows you need hemp oil and an AK for them.

15. PDXShooter1981

PDXShooter1981 Computer Geek..

I figure that was a given when it said JOURNALIST :whistling:

16. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

At least it was unloaded, locked in the trunk and seperated from its ammo.

17. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

This is what I was thinking. Journalistic idiocy and bias aside, the fact remains that one must wonder how a 17 year old kid came to be in possession of an AK47 (as it is illegal to possess one at 17) and what it was doing in his car on campus (as is also illegal). Given that the car smelled of marijuana, my guess is drug dealer/stolen gun as well. To me, this isn't a 2A case. This is a thug kid who had a gun at school and got caught. Good riddance.

18. whoever

whoever

One wonders how entry to the car was gained for the search.

19. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

doesnt matter. if it is on school property they can search as they want

20. Jon_R

Jon_R

Taking the school out of the picture it is not illegal to posses a firearm pistol or rifle at 17 in FL. I have been researching it since my daughter who is approaching 16 shoots competitively.

A minor 16 and up can have an unloaded firearm secured in a vehicle with written parental consent for the purpose of transporting it for lawful purposes such as target shooting, hunting, or shooting competitions.

She may drive herself to or from competitions once she has a license so I wanted to check on how we would do that.

All my kids are well aware they can not bring a weapon to school not even a pocket knife that is not a weapon under FL law or they will be expelled.