Structured wiring AKA everything wired in one closet or place

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pal2511, May 3, 2012.

1. pal2511

pal2511

I want to put my router and switch in a closet of my house. Right now its sitting on my entertainment center and I have a bundle of wires heading to it that I don't like Plus I have one cat5 outlet in one room leading to a cat 5 outlet in another room. I would just like to join everything together in the closet.

I thought about doing it in the garage but the garage gets mighty hot in the summer time and I am worried about the electronics.

Also plan on installing a small security camera system in the house and I want to put the dvr in the closet hidden underneath something possibly.

My two questions are how do people normally run all the wires to their patch panel or switch ...on the inside of the walls and then into a jack or through a conduit from the ceiling. I am leaning towards the conduit idea. I will have about 6 or 7 wires heading into the room.

The second problem is powering everything because i don't have an outlet in the closet. I Could jumper off of the outlet behind the closet on the wall but I figured it would be easier to run a new wire from the breaker box plus everything would be on it's own dedicated outlet then.

What do you think?

2. droidfire

droidfire

If you own the home or are on your way to doing so, and plan to live there for a while then:

Pull wire to each room, and put an ethernet jack in each room leading to the closet.

Run two new wires from the panel box, each with its own dedicated breaker. One for the dvr, one for the networking stuff.

Skip the conduit, it's tacky.

Hire an electrician for the work, one that is bonded/insured.

If you KNOW electric and can crimp cable, then it's an easy DIY project.

If you don't know electric, hire someone who does to prevent electrocution or burning your house down...or both.

People who don't know electric need to stay out of breaker boxes. Period.

3. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Don't just hide your DVR. Lock it up - preferably somewhere hard to get to. You will buy a DVR that can be accessed through a network, so you really don't need (easy) physical access to it once installed. But you definitely want to make it hard for a thief to find it and take it with him.

I would run everything from wall plates up through the walls, across the ceiling, then into the central wire rack. The only issue is whether they put stringers between the studs. If that's the case, you get into ripping out drywall, boring holes through the stringers, and repainting. Which sucks.

4. pal2511

pal2511

Actually this is the way its setup now..

We have DSL but its all ran on category 5 cable straight into the house. We do not have a modem or anything. The main feed line goes into my living room wallplate from the garage area then I have another jack in the living room that goes into the bedroom for tv and internet. I then have another jack that goes into the other side of my living room in case I put a television on the other side of the room. So right now I have ethernet already going to three areas of the house (2 in living room and 1 in bedroom).

So the main feed line goes into the living room into the switch then one line goes from switch to television and another line goes to router. All my networking stuff is hooked up to router and televisions are hooked into switch. No coaxial cable is used at all.

On the other side of the living room on the same side of the wall that already has the switch with 3 cat 5 cables going to it is the closet that I want to run everything into. So I think it may be fairly easy. I am just wondering if I should run conduit down with my cctv wires or run them into a faceplate. I am using cat5 for my cctv wires. Good call on using a breaker for networking and a breaker for the dvr. I thought about jumpering off of the other outlet but that is the one that runs the furnace...major power dips when it kicks on

5. pal2511

pal2511

eracer I would like to lock the dvr up. I am just looking for the right box to lock it up with or maybe have my friend wield up a box with all the scrap he has. I have worked a case or two where someone has had things taken from him or her including the dvr!

6. pal2511

pal2511

[​IMG] is what I had in mind

7. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

DVR = electronics = heat = ventilation required in the 'locked box'

I pulled all of my cabling runs into my utility room and have all of the electronics there.

Get a UPS for both the DVR & the networking equipment so it's not rebooting during electrical storms, etc.

8. pal2511

pal2511

All of the lock boxes I've seen have ventilation built in