Structural engineers: please advise

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jim1970, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hello,

This question is specific to structural engineers, if there are any on this forum.

One of my bosses is a structural engineer. I work in one of two businesses that he owns. I handle all the marketing stuff, and this includes some work with social media. He and I had a discussion today about the role social media and mobile devices might play in his industry. He loves how I use these mediums to enhance his other business, but he thinks I'm crazy with regards to those things ever impacting his field. I have told him that the trend is towards these things helping all businesses, and I'm trying to get him more on-board with the idea of him using them.

The question is simple: Structural engineers: Do you use social media or mobile devices (not your cell phone) in your work (Facebook, Twitter, programs for your iPad, etc.)? If so, what do you use, how does it help, and where I can I learn more about it?

Thank you in advance,

Jim

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am not an engineer. I work in a profession that hires the expert C&O inspection services of 100's of engineers on a daily basis. I work in the insurance industry. The insurance industry is always on the cutting edge of all the latest social media technology for advertising and employment and day to day functions. I would think your boss could only benefit from any of the social media type advertising and networking.

/

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I am not a structural engineer, but in construction work (which includes engineering), we have been introducing iPad to the field, also we use Facebook, Link, Pulse, Twitters and a whole bunch of other stuff to communicate. I personally don't see any good use for the social media but the youths that work for me do, and if letting them play with Myspace improves productivity then I'm all for it.

4. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate your input!

I agree with the notion of using social media in various industries. Thank you for confirming this idea.

I'm wondering if there are specific programs that are being used in engineering/construction. I would like to find them and learn more about them.

Thanks again,
    Jim

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Tagged. I do a good deal of business on FB. HH

6. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Not a structural engineer, but I think any company can gain from the proper use of social media.

7. BradD

BradD

Recommend that you see if the big boys are using such outlets. Walter P Moore, Skidmore Owings and Merrill, etc.

I'm in academia now, and left industry before FB and ipads were big things, so I have no helpful experience for your question. The design programs are so specialized that it's hard to imagine using them on a tablet.

8. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

I'm not a SE. But this an interesting article that might be of interest to you....

http://www.zdnet.com/debate/social-enterprise-is-it-dead-or-alive/10114450/

It is a "debate" and the audience (us web folks) got to vote on whether we think social enterprises is dead or alive. I was surprised that only 52% think it is alive. I figured many more people would have voted that it was alive.

I personally don't use social media. In fact I despise it for the most part and think it is leading to the degradation of society. Personally I hate when companies specifically cater to users of social media. I have no problem if you want to use it, but when you favor social media users so you can drive up your "likes" I think that's garbage.