Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stihl FS 45 string trimmer that I use about once a month during grass cutting season. Since day 1 the bump feed has never worked for me. I always have to push the button with my thumb and pull the string out by hand. I've seen multiple videos on how to load the string correctly but nothing works. Any suggestions? Is there a different head that might be better than the stock one?

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
Always preferred the ones with the three or four strings that looped/tied on, seems like there's less to go wrong with them and you can get heavy duty stuff to go on there and cut through anything. Maybe there's an option to go that way.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Go down to your local commercial mower shop and ask them for a manual feed string head. They are not as convenient, but are bullet proof. You can also get a thicker, tougher string and you really won’t need to let out more string all that often.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have an FS 45 too.
My Stihl dealer had a different head that you insert a 6in piece of line in manually.
When the line gets short put a new one in.
I carry some extra pieces in my pocket to use as needed.
Good Luck

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I used this one for many years. Being self advertised as "universal", it may fit your Stihl. The bump feed works. You can adjust the feed, depending on which way you turn the nut on the spring.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Speed-Feed-400-Universal-Trimmer-Head-99944200907/204159249
I am rough on the string trimmer heads because of rocks, trees, and hours of use. I bought the one below this year, but not sure yet if it is better yet. I use an Echo trimmer.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-SRM-Echomatic-Pro-Trimmer-Replacement-Head-21560031/100328750

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
I have 2 different Stihl trimmers. The only time I have trouble with the feed is when the dirt and gunk builds up in between the parts.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,780 Posts
I've got three Husky's and two are professional units, the third is a really heavy duty homeowner's unit. All of them are straight shafts so there's no speedometer cable to wear out going around the bend of the shaft.

They all feed line very well and here's where Husky has Stihl by the short hairs - because the Huskys just work.

I use .105" solid core string - no magical cutting edges or square or spiral patterns that are supposed to cut down giant redwoods either.

Think of it - those edges and patterns are material that you are not getting in the cutting string. If you buy solid string, it's still measured the same --- the max OD. But think of it.... if you measure the max OD of string with swirls or 'edges', they aren't as strong 'cause some of the material is missing to make the pattern.

I learned that from my gardener buddy in SoCal - and he knew everything about string trimmers.

....... just sayin'...................

Honestly - I'm just not very supportive of Stihl products - overpriced, overhyped, and underwhelming.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have an FS 45 too.
My Stihl dealer had a different head that you insert a 6in piece of line in manually.
When the line gets short put a new one in.
I carry some extra pieces in my pocket to use as needed.
Good Luck
This. I work at a Stihl dealer. There are a couple of options for different heads. Stop in and discuss it with them. They’ll probably even put it on for you. There are heads that have fixed lengths of line you just push in or auto feed or the poly cut blades might be a good option.

The biggest trick to getting bump heads to feed is to keep your wraps very tight when winding line on it. Loose coils bind on each as soon as the head starts spinning. Make sure you have the right diameter of line, as well. The FS45 should take .080. It is usually green if it is Stihl line. If it’s orange, it’s like .095 and won’t work in that head.

I hope you get it figured out. It’s s nice little trimmer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The biggest trick to getting bump heads to feed is to keep your wraps very tight when winding line on it. Loose coils bind on each as soon as the head starts spinning. Make sure you have the right diameter of line, as well. The FS45 should take .080. It is usually green if it is Stihl line. If it’s orange, it’s like .095 and won’t work in that head.

That might be my problem. I figured wrapping the line tight would cause it to bind. I've always wrapped it a little loose. I will give this a try before anything else.
Thanks everyone.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,300 Posts
Verify you have the right line. I’ve found my Echo does much better with Echo brand line versus the other brands of line. Also, make sure the part you coil the new line in is in the correct direction.

·
Registered
21,753 Posts

It seems that no matter how tight I wrap the string I have a bit of binding going on. I had some real crappy line at one time that was really bad about binding.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I was having the same issue with my Troybuilt string trimmer so I sought help.Turned out I was doing it all wrong.Take the bump head off,run string through the spool the reassemble before winding it,wind it with the bump head and not before reassembling it.Works like a charm.BTW My Troybuilt string trimmer is the best one I've ever owned bar none.ANNNNNNNNNNND you can get an attachment to start it with your drill instead of yanking the cord,it works too but I don't use it anymore.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Frustration free. Fixed trimmer head.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have that same curved shaft homeowner stihl trimmer. I use stihl .095 round string, which is larger than it came with. It’s the old style bump head. The other day I was thinking about how old the trimmer is, it’s around 13 years old!

I replaced the bump head 3 or 4 years ago, mine feeds perfect, always has, I wouldn’t want another style head. So I use larger line than than it came with and I wind it up with medium tension, I find if I wind it up really tight it tends to weld the line together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts