Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted on here somewhere or other that my old G17 occasionally "light strikes" the primer, so I ordered a new striker spring and recoil spring to eliminate those two possibilities. I got the stuff from Brownell's and the recoil spring looks exactly like the old one, but the striker spring was longer (maybe 3/8 inch?). At the time I was busy cleaning and keeping my mind on how to get the thing back together and in the process forgot to count the number of coils on each spring- so I don't know on that (and I kind of hate to pull it all apart again). It seems to function fine and the coil wire looked identical. I just wondered if maybe the old springs got superseded or if that spring just took a set at that shorter length from being partially compressed for so long. Not real worried about it, but wondered what you guys would say on this.
Thanks.

· Registered
3,044 Posts
Glock hasn't changed the part number and uses the same spring for all models. You don't have to worry about Glock springs taking a set from just sitting unless they're exposed to serious heat. It's cycles that matters.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Yep, repeated load and unload cycles are the major cause of spring fatigue. A good rule of thumb, is to change the striker spring every time you change the recoil spring. I change the recoil spring when it becomes 3 coils shorter than a new one, regardless of round count.
s45

· Registered
9,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shot it yesterday and no misfires or any kind of stoppage. New striker and recoil springs seems to have cured it, but will know more as I go. I've fired it quite a few times now and notice it seems to more abruptly and solidly hit home when slide returns to full lock-up.

Guy at the range likes GLOCKs so much he bought a brand new G19 AND a G17. I like my aging old pistol, but something about holding a brand new one has me tryin' to conjure up some new CLOCK money!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.