Striker / Firing Pin question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Revvv, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Revvv

Revvv

I have searched and searched. I likely have no clue in how to look for the answer I need. I hope I can ask my question with enough clarity to get a satisfactory answer.

OK, I just purchased a new model 22 RTF2. I love the gun. It feels great and shoots amazing. I owned a model 23 before this, but it was several years ago. I'm rusty in my Glock knowledge.

When I field strip my gun I notice that the striker is protruding from the firing pin channel. When I first purchased the gun and field stripped it the striker was seen sitting inside the channel and not protruding at all. In fact, the striker would always sit back beyond the safety.

Today when I saw the pin protruding I pulled the pin back and heard it slip past the striker safety. Then I depressed the safety and was able to freely slide the striker forward and back again to the spring with no resistance. There is a small amount of travel without any spring tension at all.

I put the gun back together and dry fired it a few times. I field stripped it again to find the same exact result as I explained with the striker protruding from the channel beyond the safety. Yes, the pin is still able to freely slide back and forth before touching the spring. It isn't much travel, but there is some.

The point to all of this is a simple question; "Is this normal"?

2. vmann

vmann Controller

perfectly normal...

3. snipe1

snipe1 Perfection

Yes, this is completely normal. The striker will be pulled back behind the Firing Pin Safety after each cycle of the slide as it catches on the cruciform. Nothing to worry about.

4. Revvv

Revvv

Is the travel in the striker normal as well? There is no spring tension at all at the end of the throw into the primer of the bullet. I would estimate there to be close to an 1/8 of an inch of unsprung movement in which I can flop the striker around with the safety pressed.

5. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Yes, this is the way it is supposed to be - In fact, this is a check which should be performed at every field strip. However, the FP should not move past the FP safety under force unless the FP safety is depressed.

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Yup, it's a firing pin.....guns use firing pins, strikers play soccer and ring bells. :)

Clear the gun and try this:

Rack the slide, point the muzzle up, and pull the trigger. If you now open the slide you should find that the tip of the firing pin does not protrude from the breechface.

Now close the slide, point it down, and pull the trigger. Opening it now should result in your finding the tip of the firing pin protruding from the breechface.

This because the firing pin spring slams the firing pin forward to impact against the primer of a chambered cartridge, but the spring itself does not go all the way forward, and it does not hold forward tension on the firing pin.

When you dry fire it muzzle down, gravity keeps the firing pin forward and it's then held there by the firing pin safety as it's spring pushes it down against the firing pin when you release the trigger.

When you dry fire it muzzle up, gravity pulls the pin down away from the breechface and behind the firing pin safety, which is again pushed down by its spring when you release the trigger, and it then keeps the firing pin from moving forward....like it's supposed to.

Also, when you fire a live round, the slide is slammed to the rear by recoil. When it hits the end of its rearward travel, it comes to a sudden stop, but the firing pin doesn't. Centrifugal force keeps it moving rearward till it hits the end of its available travel.....behind the firing pin safety.....but does it stay there? Or does it bounce back forward before you can get your finger off the trigger, and where does it come to rest? I don't know..... :dunno:

Either way, it will be retracted by the trigger bar when the slide is closed.

:)

7. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

One way to check to make sure the slide is put together properly..

With the gun fieldstriped, press in the firing pin safety and shake the slide, if it rattles its good to go.

If not you could have your extractor plunger put in backwards.

8. Revvv

Revvv

Thanks for the replies. You guys just added a great deal more confidence my way. The more sure I can feel about my carry gun the better.