"Stressed-out moms at risk of poor mental health" -CNN/Reuters

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MB-G26, Jun 9, 2007.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/05/31/moms.mental.health.reut/index.html

Mothering and Parenting, imo, are greatly undervalued by our current society.

Funny thing, tho - I found it wasn't mothering and parenting which stressed me out when kiddo was little, as much as it was working full-time for rotten lawyers and being in a rotten marriage at the same time as I was mothering and parenting a wee one.
    m

2. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Don't want one
    Don't need one
    Too old to have one
    Dogs are easier

:supergrin:

3. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Ya know, I'm on medication for an anxiety disorder as it is. If I had a kid, my head would explode. My mom has always had a good life, but raising kids drove her to drink. Having a busy doctor for a husband made her pretty much a single mother. She loved us and is a great mom, but I couldn't help but notice that motherhood stressed her to her breaking point. It was a roller coaster. Some days she loved it, others she hated it. So, now where does that leave her?Yea, we love her and she loves us, but my brother and I have moved on with our own lives and neither of us plan to have kids. So, no grandkids for my parents. Plus, they don't want us to feel burdened, so they plan to go to an assisted living home if they can no longer live independently. At 53, my mother is FINALLY starting to live for herself again. She's just now trying to realize her dreams again. She put it all on hold to be a stay at home mom.
    Yes, I know that I am giving something up by deciding not to be a mother, but I am also gaining certain things as well. Now that my brother and I are grown and I look back, I just don't see what the hype is all about.

Rebecca

4. c-mama

c-mama

Motherhood. Some like it, some don't, but without it humanity would die.

5. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Yes, humanity would die without motherhood. But now it seems that humanity can also grow TOO fast. It won't matter that humanity is procreating if humanity doesn't have a planet to live on, clean air to breathe, food to eat, etc etc. I'm not some environmental psycho. I just know that the world's population is growing at an alarming pace and we aren't taking care of ourselves or where we live.
    I wish that more responsible, healthy, and financially stable women would become mothers. In Memphis, where I live, I'm surrounded by the exact opposite.

Rebecca

6. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

SG, you and I know someone that needs to read that "finding".

Yes, parenting is a stressfull "job".

7. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

No matter how much I may vent, I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything in the world. Again, it's a VERY personal choice, yet, I find it sad when I have friends tell me they couldn't IMGAINE spending all day with their own kids. :sigh:

Every choice in life has consequences, we gain some things, lose some things, and it all balances out. The key is to figure out what is right for you, and I would say that so far every single poster in this thread has done just that;)

8. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Yep, I know several people that can't stand spending time with their own kids. That's really SAD. Don't blame it on the kids! :(

9. SouthernGal

And I know at least one person who'd think the finding was nothing new...nothing he'd not already heard.

10. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

I jsut sent her the link and she printed it off for him to read as well. :thumbsup:

11. SouthernGal

I know who you're talking about. You obviously know who I'm talking about as well :)

12. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Rach, guess what?! I'm pregnant!

EDIT: Eh, I knew you wouldn't fall for it. ;)

13. SouthernGal

:rofl:

NOT.

14. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Bwhahahahahahahhahahaha!!! :banana:

15. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

If someone doesn't want to have children, then great, I think we should all be thankful they don't, especially if they don't seem to like them much. However, there are plenty of women who have made the choice to have children, love their children, and love spending time with them. Perhaps both "sides" need to better respect each other's choices.

16. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Patricia~ I agree. I have been judged and attacked for my decision. So, when they stop attacking me for my decision, I'll stop fighting back. I'm trying to stand up for CHOICE for women, but there are so many women that don't feel that there is a choice.
    I couldn't believe the kind of push back I got from people I work with when they found out I was getting sterilized.

17. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

Well, it is certainly no fun to be judged, is it? People that have no say in other's lives seem to want to butt their way in anyway. They don't matter, but they will still do their level best to tell you what they think. Best to ignore them. Your choice is not what most people would call the norm, but it is your life, not theirs.

Don't feel the need to fight back if you believe in yourself.

18. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

mmm. FWIW, even if you get tied AFTER having a couple kids, you'll get a certain amount of flak from the folks who think you should be popping them out til you're menopausal or dead.

Mrs.C

19. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Mrs. C~ AMEN!! You're damned if you do and damned if you don't, as with so many other issues. :thumbsup:

Rebecca

20. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

For some reason, this is a subject that people ALWAYS think is their business to ask about, prod about, complain about, no matter WHAT you decide. Frankly, ANYTHING that goes on inside someone elses relationship is just that, between THOSE two people. No one else has to walk in YOUR shoes, and vice versa. And thank goodness for THAT! :supergrin: