close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Strength Training w/o Wieghts.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mossy500camo, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I looking for a Strength training routine that doesnt require weights. Something like Combat Conditioning etc. Thanks for any info.

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

If you want combat conditioning you're going to need ropes to climb, walls to scale, muddy water to low crawl through, barbed wire to swan dive onto, etc etc.

Since most of us don't have that, the only other thing I can suggest is to run about 1/2 miles, then jump down and do 100 push-ups, then run another 1/2 mile and stop to do leg raises, then another 1/2 mile and do jumping jacks.....you get the idea.

For exerises that don't require weights you can do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, crunches, leg raises, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, diamond push-ups, squat thrusts, sissy squats, and dips if you have a way to do them.

Hopefully others will have more ideas.

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

4. bdcochran

bdcochran

I have known very few people to lose weight or become champion athletes. They did it with motivation and self discipline.

At the bottom line, joining a gym, buying a video tape, eating special foods and supplements just don't cut the mustard.

A "dumb" kid from my elementary school class ended up going to the Olympics in gymnastics. His parents weren't rich. He didn't have any special equipment and worked out in the public park. He wanted to succeed so badly that he did everything he could without spending money.

Another kid from my junior high school class became a professional baseball player and has now retired as a disabled as a major league baseball club manager. He worked at it.

A girlfriend ran away from home at 16 as a rolly polly. She went to New York and got a job at a modeling agency. She wanted to become a model. She lost the weight by self discipline. A year later she was a model and eventually had her picture on billboards from New York to Boston.

Herschel Walker was the first professional football player to earn $1 million a year. He didn't play football until the second year of high school. He went to the coach and asked how to get into shape. He was told 50 wind sprints, 100 push ups and 100 situps a day. He is one of the few humans to take advice. He did it. Then over time he upped it to 1000 pushups and 1000 situps a day and 100 windsprints.

In my parent's generation, the Canadian 5BX plan was published and discussed on endless talk shows and at cocktail parties. Just how many of those people do you really think took the Canadian Air Force pamphlet, read it and continue to do the exercises that do not require any equipment, any gym membership, any weights, any supplements or any special diet? How about ZERO or close to it.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I say look into cables (strand pulling)and bands.

Outside of dips and chins (and handstand presses if I could actually do them) I find bodyweight stuff boring.

6. PSU_G34

PSU_G34 London Calling

I'm not sure why you don't want to use weights (your business).

But if it's just be cause you don't have any, a flat bench is very cheap ($40-$100) and an incline-decline bench is $100-$200, for more flexibility. A set of spin-collar dumbbells is $30-$40, both from Walmart (or Dick's, Dunhams, etc.)

You can get free shipping on everything but weights at fitnessfactory.com. It's where I got everything I have.

With these items you can do everything already posted and much more. They don't take up much space and last, basically, forever.

WalMart Benches
    Big Fitness (better quality)

7. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Sounds like the Army to me! Hey, they even provide free fitness instructors! ;f You'll quit smoking and get some excellent gun training w/ free ammo! I don't understand why everybody doesn't sign up for that.

;f

8. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

No room in the house for equipment. Unless I put them outside.

Im looking for strengthening exercises that I can do anywhere at any time.

ps
    Any of you guys tried 'Hindu'Pushups? If not look up Matt Furey Hindu pushups. I just did 100 reps.;P ;g My arms, chest, shoulders, back are on Fire!~fnt~

9. DonCT

DonCT

Depending on how confident you are in your manhood, you might try the original Joseph Pilates floor workout. It has become a chick workout fad now, but Joseph Pilates (1880-1967) was a soldier, boxer and gymnast. There are some pretty good books like this one just ignore the buff chicks on the cover. This book is pretty good too.

10. DBradD

DBradD

I've never been able to do any productive strength training without weights. I've tried this kind of stuff a couple of times over the years. I find bodyweight exercises to be boring and unmotivating because there's no weight to increase, no goal to shoot for. It could be psychological on my part because my favorite form of exercise is weightlifting. Others may have better results. I'd be more likely to try and talk you into going to the gym to lift weights!

DBD

11. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Haha, close!

I was in the Marines.

12. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Just wanted to update you all. I have made progress in strength and endurance using nothing but body weight. I perform the following.

Pushups include: Hindu, Diamond, Wide, Hands close together, Knuckle (wide and Narrow), Handstand (against wall) Elevated, Inverted.

Legs: Squats performed like this. Squat then spring up into a jump. Do until you can do no more. Looks funny but Walk around in squatting position until FAILURE. Explosive/Fast Sprints!

ABS!

Stretch/Flexibility exercises.

;g

13. Halojumper

Halojumper

Take a look at this month's Men's Fitness. There is an article in there about this (or maybe it was Muscle and Fitness or Men's Health - I saw it on the shelf when I went it Walden's. I believe it was the first one, but they are all in the same area, so it will be easy to check them.)

14. Swattie

Swattie Cry Havoc

Look up Matt Furey in a search engine. He is an expert in that stuff and sells a lot of his stuff for training without weights.

15. Halojumper

Halojumper

Oh, and also there's a book called The Naked Warrior. It is all about just using one's body weight for working out. It's actually pretty good.

16. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

KS, Yeah! Matt Furey is GOOD!

halo, Ill check into the Naked Warrior as well.