Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this Fender MIM player series last fall, went blind a couple months ago and ordered the 5 watt DSL since I couldn’t find one anywhere locally. Its been one of the best guitar gear purchases to date. I’ve got a 40 watt hot rod deluxe but that thing is just too much and the drive Chanel was meh to be desired.

All that said don’t let 5 watts of tube amp fool you, it won’t crank and drown out the block like the hot rod but it’s close. Gave a buddy my last solid state/modeling amp a couple weeks ago, I’m done messing with them. There’s something to be said for raw tube amp power and sound.

D17ADB57-CADA-4923-B95B-F8E01BB61CB7.png

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you found what you like.
I don’t have any background in such stuff. But a person finds what feels, sounds good to them.
Just a hobby I got back into the last year or so, tried it as a kid before youtube ect. Started lessons the first of the year until all this Kung Flu ruined everything. You could say I’m good from far but far from good lol. Just fun to sit down and try to make it sound like some of your favorite songs.

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want the world to respect you, make your avitar either a cheeseburger or a 12AX7 vacuum tube. HH
No need, won’t get much respect with my skill level lol. Had that amp shipped to work and took the strat that day. The guys at work we’re either impressed or tried to stroke my ego when I did the purple haze intro.

·
Firm member
30,242 Posts
No need, won’t get much respect with my skill level lol. Had that amp shipped to work and took the strat that day. The guys at work we’re either impressed or tried to stroke my ego when I did the purple haze intro.
After incessant begging, my parents gave me a Univox Mosrite for Christmas, 1972. They had no clue that it also required an amp, so I spent the next couple of year overdriving it through my reel-to-reel.' HH

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After incessant begging, my parents gave me a Univox Mosrite for Christmas, 1972. They had no clue that it also required an amp, so I spent the next couple of year overdriving it through my reel-to-reel.' HH
You lost me, before my time bud lol.

·
Firm member
30,242 Posts
You lost me, before my time bud lol.
When us kids first getting electric guitars in the late sixties, nobody knew you needed something called an amplifier. Univox made cheap copy of a popular guitar of the time and it was the Mosrite. If you stuck a matchbook cover into the right place on a tape recorder, you had instant overdrive & distortion when you plugged a guitar into it. HH

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When us kids first getting electric guitars in the late sixties, nobody knew you needed something called an amplifier. Univox made cheap copy of a popular guitar of the time and it was the Mosrite. If you stuck a matchbook cover into the right place on a tape recorder, you had instant overdrive & distortion when you plugged a guitar into it. HH
Times have changed no doubt. Now there is stuff way above my head with all this new technology. Was at a guitar store a while back and this dude was trying to sell me on this head rush pedal board. If you’ve never heard of it, youtube it. He was getting all kinds of pre sets and custom sounds out of it that sound like the tones people chase for years. With a 1k price tag and more stuff than I wanted to mess with I passed.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
That's a great sounding set up. Just as an FYI though, most of your overdrive tone isn't coming from tubes with that amp, it is coming from opamps. This is true for the entire DSL line.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Just a hobby I got back into the last year or so, tried it as a kid before youtube ect. Started lessons the first of the year until all this Kung Flu ruined everything. You could say I’m good from far but far from good lol. Just fun to sit down and try to make it sound like some of your favorite songs.
Here's the thing about guitar - the world's best player can still learn something from the world's worst player (and obviously vice versa). I think it was **** Goodrick that said guitar was not like a hamburger (which when eaten is gone) i.e. not a zero sum game - all sides benefit from an exchange of knowledge.

Reactions: Folsom_Prison

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Nice little rig there. When I was shopping to replace a Fender Mustang, I ended up with a Boss Katana. I can get damn near any sound I'd ever want out of it without pedals and that was what I was after. You start buying pedals and it can get really expensive really quick. The nice thing about the Katana is that it doesn't try to model anything so you get some great unique Roland engineering tones from it. And did I mention it can get really LOUD?!

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a great sounding set up. Just as an FYI though, most of your overdrive tone isn't coming from tubes with that amp, it is coming from opamps. This is true for the entire DSL line.
Regardless it sounds a lot better imo than most of the solid state amps I’ve had or tried. Had a Marshall code 50 for a bit, that damn thing had more BS on it than you can imagine.

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the thing about guitar - the world's best player can still learn something from the world's worst player (and obviously vice versa). I think it was **** Goodrick that said guitar was not like a hamburger (which when eaten is gone) i.e. not a zero sum game - all sides benefit from an exchange of knowledge.
True, the guy I was taking lessons from is probably mid 60’s and has been playing since he was yay tall. Dude is phenomenal and can play by ear which baffles me. That said he told me a while back as long as he’s played he’s learned things from some of his students in the past.

·
Brew Crew
28,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice little rig there. When I was shopping to replace a Fender Mustang, I ended up with a Boss Katana. I can get damn near any sound I'd ever want out of it without pedals and that was what I was after. You start buying pedals and it can get really expensive really quick. The nice thing about the Katana is that it doesn't try to model anything so you get some great unique Roland engineering tones from it. And did I mention it can get really LOUD?!
Haven’t really got to mess with one of those much but people do seem to like them. My last solid state amp was a blackstar and honestly one of the better ones I’ve had. I plugged into a DSL 40 and cranked it at the guitar shop and kinda fell in love. Put the coals to that thing and it will get you there.

Didn’t need another 40 watt tube amp though so that’s why I went with the DSL 5. It doesn’t have as many EQ’s like the 40 but at least I can easily move this thing around.

·
Problem Solver
12,751 Posts
Bought this Fender MIM player series last fall, went blind a couple months ago and ordered the 5 watt DSL since I couldn’t find one anywhere locally. Its been one of the best guitar gear purchases to date. I’ve got a 40 watt hot rod deluxe but that thing is just too much and the drive Chanel was meh to be desired.

All that said don’t let 5 watts of tube amp fool you, it won’t crank and drown out the block like the hot rod but it’s close. Gave a buddy my last solid state/modeling amp a couple weeks ago, I’m done messing with them. There’s something to be said for raw tube amp power and sound.

View attachment 762342
I like your guitar. I have the exact same model except mine is yellow with white pick guard. Same maple neck. White/white was my second color choice. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Regardless it sounds a lot better imo than most of the solid state amps I’ve had or tried. Had a Marshall code 50 for a bit, that damn thing had more BS on it than you can imagine.
I agree. Oddly, the Code series is their top-selling amp line.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts