close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

strategies for hunting hogs

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by paulito, Apr 29, 2003.

1. paulito

paulito

hi everyone! i'm about to start hunting hogs in the norteastern oklahoma region and i was just wondering if any of you avid hog hunters know any strategies for these nasty creatures. the terain is pretty flat and VERY thick woods. i'm undecided as to whether or not i should bring my bow or my .30-06. i will definitely be carrying a back-up gun (smith .44 mag) just in case something were to go wrong. the only thing i've been told about hog hunting is to run if they charge you. that doesn't really make me feel too confident about hunting them. so if anyone knows any strategies, i would love to hear them. thank you very much!

paulito

2. noway

noway

Will look for tracks would be my first guess before hunting them.( You don't want to be in a area that has little hog activity)

Best time is after a heavy rain where the ground will provide good indications of hog activity. They are smart and have great hearing and supposely excellent eyesights. They will use all avl cover to their advantage( protection from the weather & camo ).

The 2 items you mention are great but are geared for differenet enviroment and hunting methods (IMHO). The bow will most likely be for 30 yrds and under and the hardest thing their is ranging the distance for a good clean shot. The 30-06 has more than enough power to take down any hog. The same can be said of a heavy 44mag load. The key ??? would be, how good are you with these weapons?

{the only thing i've been told about hog hunting is to run if they charge you}

In all of my life I've never seen a hog charge anybody unless you where right on top of it or had it corner or injuried. Hogs are very much like snakes. They don't like to be surprised and try like hell to avoid us 2 legged people.

Good luck and you will find hunting wild hogs to be great. You can turn the odds into bagging a hog with baiting or running dogs. Also if you're location allows night time hunting, then I heard that is very good and exciting also.

Once again good luck.

3. aggie04

aggie04

in the case that one does charge you running isn't a very good option seeing as they are much faster than you, i have been in this situation and i went up the first tree i came to and then they just ran off and the dogs got back on them.
    in my experience hogs don't do much moving about after a rain and our dogs could never get a good scent after a rain anyhow. usually i just scout for tracks and most of the time you will be able to smell them if you get close.

4. noway

noway

{most of the time you will be able to smell them if you get close}

Most people will tell you hogs sense of smell is 2-4x more better than a deer or something like that.

I never smell any hogs out in the wild and I never been close to a hog to smell it unless it was in a frying pan with onions,garlic,pepper and sage(joke).