Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll start by saying that my dad was born in 1918, and my mom in 1921. They have both been gone for several years now. .

Dad: (1st generation American)
- When dad grew up in Chicago there were neighborhoods that were not very diverse. The Italians lived in one section, the Polish in another, the Russians in another. And so on.

So every time he told us about something at work, he always had to preface the story with a description regarding the race, or national origin of the person or persons he was talking about (as if it actually had some bearing on the story). So it was always: "This guy Tony, he’s the Italian guy, was talking to Jacob, the black guy." Or "Robert, he’s a DP" (WWII term for displaced person, refugee) "stopped by and we were talking about. . . "

- Dad truly believed that if you wrote a check that was dated on a Sunday, the check was invalid and no bank would honor it.

- My dad was very religious (Dutch Reformed Church) but yet he and all of his brothers and sister swore that there was a “little red man, about 18 inches tall”, who lived in the basement of the house they grew up in. Till their dying day, every one of them insisted that it was true.

Mom: (also 1st generation American)
- Mom always insisted that you should NEVER take soda and aspirins together, because if you did, it would kill you.

- For a year or so my older sister had a boyfriend who owned a Kawasaki motorcycle. Despite being told how it was pronounced many times, she always called it a Kowalski.

·
Firm member
30,297 Posts
Dad ('28) and Mom ('30) let us ride bicycles without helmets and play with toy guns. Very, very strange. HH

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My parents chose to trade, Mom wanted a baby and Dad wanted a Pool, 30 years later were stuck with the little brother and the pool....well we moved to Colorado 2 years after the deal.....

I still give Dad hell about it.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
- My dad was very religious (Dutch Reformed Church) but yet he and all of his brothers and sister swore that there was a “little red man, about 18 inches tall”, who lived in the basement of the house they grew up in. Till their dying day, every one of them insisted that it was true.

What evidence do you have that there wasn't?

So you have a number of eyewitness accounts that do not conflict, from reliable people, that have no reason to lie to you when you were older. You have no evidence to contradict their accounts, and you choose to think they are strange? :whistling:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
My sister and I were forced to eat liver and onions once a month. My folks said that it was supposed to be healthy but I think they did it to watch the gag reflex in us. There was no amount of ketchup that could keep us from gagging. That was 35 years ago and I refuse to eat liver to this day.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I don't remember much about them but I do remember they told me I'd go blind if I didn't stop it.

Dave

·
GTDS Member #49
10,104 Posts
My dad was constantly cutting down large (old growth) trees with huge chain saws. When he 1st started doing this, he was using a misery whip. He still cuts down trees, but they are 2nd and 3rd growth now.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,597 Posts
Whenever Dad was going to work in the yard, the garden, or on one of the cars, he always paraded from his bedroom to the basement workshop, in his boxer shorts, socks and t-shirt.

He NEVER wore his 'work pants' to the living level of the house.

My dear old Dad was a Depression Era kid. (Born in 1924.)
Dad believed in getting his money's worth, out of EVERYTHING he had.

I'll never forget walking behind him one evening, as he paraded back up the stairs, after working in the yard.
The whole rear-end was out of his boxers!!!!!!!!!

I laughed, and asked Dad why he didn't just toss those old 'drawers' into the trash.

"Why??? Something wrong with 'em??" :rofl:

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I’ll start by saying that my dad was born in 1918, and my mom in 1921. They have both been gone for several years now. .

Dad: (1st generation America

Can you elaborate more on their sightings concerning this?
Not a doubter here, not looking to "poke fun" as it were as I have seen and heard things I cannot expain, just a very interesting report coming from more than one person. Thanks in advance.

My praternal grandmother believed a cat would "take a baby's breath" and smother it, saying she had knocked a cat out of my dad's crib when he was an infant. It was probably smelling the milk on his breath but was perched upon his chest none the less face to face w/ him. Grandma wouldn't let a cat near an infant. I'm thinking in such cases crib death was more to blame, or that the cat weighed down an infant's ability to breathe, sitting or laying on the child's chest or back.

Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Dad ('28) and Mom ('30) let us ride bicycles without helmets and play with toy guns. Very, very strange. HH
I grew up with this odd parenting also. But even worse, they were abusive and made me get a job as a teen. If I wanted something they expected me to pay for it. I'm glad we are out of those dark times.......

·
Firm member
30,297 Posts
I grew up with this odd parenting also. But even worse, they were abusive and made me get a job as a teen. If I wanted something they expected me to pay for it. I'm glad we are out of those dark times.......
I'd love to agree, but how many threads here start with, "...what kind of car should I buy my kid?" HH

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
My sister and I were forced to eat liver and onions once a month. My folks said that it was supposed to be healthy but I think they did it to watch the gag reflex in us. There was no amount of ketchup that could keep us from gagging. That was 35 years ago and I refuse to eat liver to this day.
Tasted liver many decades ago.....always smelled like cow plop to me, and it tasted like it smelled. Never again!!!!!! :faint:

Gray_Rider

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
"Strange things your parents said, did or believed"

My father always said "Women are no damned good, they are only after your money". he was married three times and drove them all away. I looked at his credibility and formed my own conclusions.

My father taught me how to shoot and to shoot very well.

He believed if you didn't work for what you had, you had nothing.

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,848 Posts
Don't go swimming at least 45 minutes after you eat.

However, when going to the lake or what not, they would always cook and or bring enough food for an army. Of course I went swimming after eating. Heck, I went swimming with a sandwich in one hand.

·
Spider
1,832 Posts
My dad came to America from Sicily when he was a young boy, I think he was about 7 yrs. old, around 1918 0r 1919. He was always talking about someone trying to give him the "maloochia", which is the evil eye. The "maloochia" can give you bad luck, ill health, and other bad things that can happen to you. He was never real religious but he sure was superstitious.:wow:

·
Garbage Day!
9,750 Posts
My dad told me several strange "facts"...

Horses supposedly have eyesight that makes humans look, to them, to as big as giants. This is why horses obey humans.

Inside throwing knife blades, there is a hollow channel that's filled with mercury. When you throw the knife, the mercury moves to the front of the blade to make it hit point-first.

If you were to fire a gun underwater, the steam created by the bullet traveling down the wet barrel would blow up the barrel, the gun, and your hand.

·
Garbage Day!
9,750 Posts
Soy sauce is really pigeon blood. And I always believed it. And never ate it.
Well, now that you're older, I hope you realize it's just liquid salt. :ack:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts