GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Glock 19. I only have about 20 rounds through it so far. One of my mags is a little stubborn getting in. Its not hard to get in but it just requires a bump. In doing so though I have noticed marks starting to form on the top round, around the top of the shell where the bullet meets the shell. Is my mag too packed (14 rounds) because I am not carrying condition 1 with a full mag or is this normal?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Normal,magazine spring pressure on rounds against guide rail/bottom of slide,the spring pressure is needed to insure feed of the next round and so on. SJ 40
Some of these mags are really stiff in the beginning. I'm sure it will get easier after a while. Should be able to get all 15 in eventually, but I have had some new Glocks that didn't want to take the last bullet in the mag.

·
Banned
16,041 Posts
With use the magazine spring upward pressure will ease up a bit. However the arthritis in my hands still makes it difficult and painful to load to full capacity so back about 5 years ago I invested in one of these.

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/

It wont help with cartridge marking/scratching cause due to feeding but it makes loading a magazine to full capacity a breeze. SJ 40

·
YouTube SurgeonWithAGun
123 Posts
With a new magazine you can either leave it loaded for a while to relax the spring or just wait for it to relax with use. I break my new mags in by loading them a bit light until the spring loosens up. Just my preference.

Reactions: texas 48

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome !! Yep... typical of brand new glock mags. The springs will break in as you continue shooting. For what it's worth, leave the internals of the gun completely alone, even though there are a zillion parts that are worthless and you might think you're upgrading some part but it's actually the opposite. Spend your money on a nice set of sights and ammo.

·
Registered
589 Posts
1) The mags will loosen up.
2) +1 on the maglula. I never cared for them because I just never had issues loading mags to capacity and can do it pretty quickly too. Until I tried one. It's amazing how fast you can load a mag. Literally as fast as you can grab a round out the box. One of my favorite new shooter gifts.
3) 1000 rounds of decent range ammo is under $200 right now. Best $200 you can spend on 'improving' the gun. Or certainly the gun/shooter combo.
4) Sights are a personal thing. But many call the stock Glock sights 'dovetail protectors'. They work, but there are better sights out there. Which ones depends on your preference. That's why I personally believe Glock chose the right path by putting cheap but functional sights on as stock. Once you've shot it a fair bit (see item 3), you will know what you want from a sight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts