close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Straight Talk cellular - my take

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Apr 29, 2013.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I have been testing out Straight Talk wireless service on my Nexus 4 (using AT&T).

$45/month for unlimited call/txt/data(may be throttled after 2GB). Or $41/month if you buy a yr at a time.

I like it enough I'm dropping my $30/month T-mobile plan (100 min/unlimited txt/data (throttled after 5GB).

*** Be aware Straight Talk doesn't currently offer AT&T sim cards, only T-mobile sim cards.
    I got mine off ebay.

Unknown if/when Straight Talk will offer AT&T sim cards again.

New Straight Talk AT&T sim cards can be activated with Straight Talk, so check your local Walmart, or ebay if interested.
    Looks like this started in January.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

2. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

I'd be doing the same thing if work wasn't paying most of my $152/mo Verizon cell phone bill (unlimited data, tethering and minutes).

3. itstime

itstime

Not a bad program.. I would like to see them not throttle.

I'm looking hard at T-Mobile now. No throttling till I sign up. Then they will start I figure.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Interesting. I didn't know they would let you swap networks like that. I wonder if some point AT&T stops supporting you.

5. RichJ

RichJ

I've been on StraightTalk for about six months and haven't noticed any throttleing.

I know for sure I've used at least 2 gigs in a month because I spent an unusual amount of time the first couple of months streaming Netflix movies and YouTube videos practically all day.

If I've ever been throttled, I haven't noticed.

6. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

From what I can tell Straight Talk buys time from several carriers, depending on the phone. Some are Verizon supported, some T-Mobile, etc (all SIM cards are now T-Mobile unless you find an old one somewhere).

7. billn

billn

When you buy a straight talk the box tells you the towers used. A red US flag means the towers are Verizon and blue on the box T-Mobile.

The Verizon straight talk phones have more towers and less loss signals. The colors on the box do not represent areas covered.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  8. BlownFiveLiter

BlownFiveLiter

I'm on Straight Talk, as well, and my service has been flawless. I'm not using an excessive amount of data and did it just to cut my bill in half, which it definitely did accomplish. If you buy the SIM bundle at Walmart, you can get an AT&T SIM. The package comes with a T-Mobile SIM, an AT&T SIM, and an AT&T micro-SIM, so you choose the one you want and activate it. I'm not sure if they offer any phones I'd want to buy, but they should work with most any GSM phone. I will mention that they will kill your service if they catch you tethering. I used to use MyWi with my iPhone, but uninstalled it once I decided to make the switch.

9. billn

billn

I said color of the flag, but i think it is the color of the United States map on the box.

10. Buki192327

Buki192327

The box the phone comes in, now has a mark in a little box on the front, that lists the model number of the phone. There is a V, A or S, following the model number.

I have been using Straight Talk, for about 3 years now. I am very happy with the service and pricing. :supergrin:

11. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

We have the straight Talk wireless base station and use it as our home phone hooked up to five wireless phones. Works/sounds great, however we seem to get a lot of solicitation calls that we ignore, and it doesn't do caller ID.

We were with Vonage and had pretty good service and few if no solicitation calls. We've also been on the DNC list. Overall Straightalk is great as a home phone.

12. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

This has repercussions even if your phone is unlocked, and I don't just mean about the size of the network.

Straight Talk's website still says that they require an 850MHz/1900MHz phone, but T-Mobile's 3G and 4G networks operate at 1700MHz/2100MHz in most places. That means that you'd be stuck at crawling data speeds in most places unless you had a T-Mobile phone or the rare unlocked phone that supports T-Mobile's frequencies.

The website is misleading. Their support staff obviously didn't read my email. I had to call them to verify, and while they do have good hours their support staff doesn't really know anything (the girl I talked to was obviously relaying questions she couldn't ask by typing and giving me the answers she didn't know how to explain).

Also, God help you if you want to tether or if you go over the 2GB or 100MB/day allotted to you. They may just cut you off.

I wanted to like Straight Talk, but I am incredibly wary of them now.

13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

My Nexus 4 with Straight Talk AT&T sim card is working well.

It also worked well previously when I had a T-mobile monthly plan card in it.

Unlocked GSM/UMTS/HSPA+
    GSM/EDGE/GPRS (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    3G (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    HSPA+ 42

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  14. wk9k

wk9k

I have been using ST for about a year now and I get better service that other people I know paying alot more for contract service. ST uses Verizon towers. I have the blackberry looking phone w/ small screen I want to get another phone w/ a bigger screen an more modern internet capabilities like 3g/4g and get a ST sim card. But all in all im happy with their service also.

15. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

jtmac speaks truth. It's a great service within the TOS you agree to. Get awry of that and they can and will turn your phone into a brick. In my area ST uses Verizon and the coverage and signal strengths are great.

16. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

I like it, been on it for 2 years or so. I talked to them today, to get info on a Galaxy, and they said They can do it, just buy a $15 SIM card, and $45/month plan. I'm not sure how much data I'll use, though. 2 gigs doesn't sound like much.

17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Do they throttle pron?

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

My tmobile plan cost me 0.99€ per day when I use it and I get 10gb per month for that rate. If i dont use the phone (i.e. the 40% of the time I am at home) no charge.

Cant beat that with a stick

19. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Damn. Do they do pre-pay?:wow:

20. vettely

vettely

I have been using the t mobile $49 month to month plan offered at Walmart. I bought the phone (Samsung galaxy exhibit 4g) out right at Walmart. Saving tons of money. What is the difference between this monthly plan and straight talk?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013